Where are you buying short Konis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Benjamin_Button View Post
    Interesting. Can you elaborate on why you believe koni>billies? Looking to upgrade in the near future.
    Bilsteins require a new dental plan

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
      agreed. I'll never run Bilstein again.
      Personally ii wouldn't go so far as to say that but for an often street driven vehicle I'd go with Koni any day of the week. Bilsteins are much more harsh, at least in the case of the Sports on an E30.
      For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
      Originally posted by mbonanni
      I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Originally posted by Roysneon View Post
        Personally ii wouldn't go so far as to say that but for an often street driven vehicle I'd go with Koni any day of the week. Bilsteins are much more harsh, at least in the case of the Sports on an E30.

Are you comparing full height bilsteins to short konis? Not really a fair comparison on a lowered car.
        Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
        The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
          Are you comparing full height bilsteins to short konis? Not really a fair comparison on a lowered car.
          Perhaps not, but I was not riding on the bumpstops. The car was rough with the Bilsteins/H&R Race, was rough with the Bilstein/GE coils, now it's a dream with the Konis set soft. I will say the Bilsteins were much better than stock on the H&R, and the GE sleeves were better than the H&R.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I'd never use them again (I am planning to use my old Sports with H&R OE springs) but if you're doing a coilover conversion iX Konis are the way to go, and if you're keeping oe style springs Koni SA are probably going to be better for a daily driven or dual purpose vehicle.
          I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Thanks for coming back to post results/findings... these things usually trail off with no real conclusive feedback.

I didnt see mention of the rear shocks. Is it safe to assume that you are also running ix konis in the rear?
            Originally posted by ebelements
            Also, for those who don't know, negative camber is the greatest thing since sliced bread(panera). Even tire wear is for city busses and the elderly.

Comment

I'm going to bother you with one more question. :p
              Is the diameter of the Koni shock different up top? I'm worried they might not work with my camber plates from IE that I'm using with my Bilstein's currently.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Perhaps not, but I was not riding on the bumpstops. The car was rough with the Bilsteins/H&R Race, was rough with the Bilstein/GE coils, now it's a dream with the Konis set soft. I will say the Bilsteins were much better than stock on the H&R, and the GE sleeves were better than the H&R.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I'd never use them again (I am planning to use my old Sports with H&R OE springs) but if you're doing a coilover conversion iX Konis are the way to go, and if you're keeping oe style springs Koni SA are probably going to be better for a daily driven or dual purpose vehicle.

Are you sure about that ?

I'm on h&r race and koni sa. There is less up travel (less than 2 inches) than the height of the oem bump stop. If i remember correctly, bilstein bumps are about 2.5 inches tall.

I feel like the konis on my car have too little high speed compression damping for the amount travel available. I have my bumpstops cut down to about 5/8 inch so i wont be riding on them all the time. An extra inch or two of travel (short housings) seems like it would transform my ride.

Do the ix konis have the same damping specs as the rwd units?
                Lorin

The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by sticksdaman View Post
                  Thanks for coming back to post results/findings... these things usually trail off with no real conclusive feedback.

I didnt see mention of the rear shocks. Is it safe to assume that you are also running ix konis in the rear?
                  Rear iX Konis are likely the same as normal rwd car Konis, I see no reason they wouldn't be. For right now I'm still using the Bilstein Sports in the rear.

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                  I'm going to bother you with one more question. :p
                  Is the diameter of the Koni shock different up top? I'm worried they might not work with my camber plates from IE that I'm using with my Bilstein's currently.
                  As in the threaded portion? Yeah it's the same afaik. I used stock mounts for both. I may go with some kind of camber plate if a good deal on them comes up as I could use some extra camber for fender lip clearance.

Are you sure about that ?

I'm on h&r race and koni sa. There is less up travel (less than 2 inches) than the height of the oem bump stop. If i remember correctly, bilstein bumps are about 2.5 inches tall.

I feel like the konis on my car have too little high speed compression damping for the amount travel available. I have my bumpstops cut down to about 5/8 inch so i wont be riding on them all the time. An extra inch or two of travel (short housings) seems like it would transform my ride.

Do the ix konis have the same damping specs as the rwd units?
                  Honestly, you've got me there. I guess I'm not that sure. Perhaps I was simply riding the stock length Bilsteins too low. I am hesitant to say it was the fault of the inserts as I really was not using them as they were meant to be.

For the price difference and because it's my only car I'm glad that I paid the extra for Konis for the adjustability.

I'm not 100% on the differences between the two dampers as far as spring dampening spec. but from everything I've read they're very similar, just different lengths.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Rear iX Konis are likely the same as normal rwd car Konis, I see no reason they wouldn't be. For right now I'm still using the Bilstein Sports in the rear.

As in the threaded portion? Yeah it's the same afaik. I used stock mounts for both. I may go with some kind of camber plate if a good deal on them comes up as I could use some extra camber for fender lip clearance.
                    I thought the konis were 14mm while the bilstein were 12mm. Bummer, I'm on e36 5 lug but debating welding on stock e30 threaded section so I can install some ix konis and go coilovers, but I've got camber plates for the e36 koni top diameter.

Comment

Well now I'm paranoid. I just jacked the suspension up until the rod was through the hole in the mount and put the nut on.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Car looks wicked sexy with the new setup, BTW.
                        Lorin

The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjamin_Button View Post
                          Interesting. Can you elaborate on why you believe koni>billies? Looking to upgrade in the near future.
                          basically, the ride quality sucks

I don't think it's just the bump stops. I think bilstein tends to make their E30 shocks much stiffer than they really need to be. mine were definitely not bottoming out.
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

i thought i read that the bilstein were valved for a spring rate way above what most are running?
                            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Car looks wicked sexy with the new setup, BTW.
                              Thank you, sir. I'm hoping to get out of school next year and get a job that will let me fix it up the way it should be.

Originally posted by nando View Post
                              basically, the ride quality sucks

I don't think it's just the bump stops. I think bilstein tends to make their E30 shocks much stiffer than they really need to be. mine were definitely not bottoming out.
                              Originally posted by digger View Post
                              i thought i read that the bilstein were valved for a spring rate way above what most are running?
                              I'd say from my experience with them that this is true. I'm sure they are absolutely great for a track type car, but a typical street or street/track E30 tends to be too low and not require the stiffness of dampening that the Bilsteins have, hence most people's disappointment with them.

I don't remember the Konis costing all that much more than the Bilsteins anyway, which is the main reason people shy away from the Konis.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                                IX inserts are 3" shorter. If you do indeed cut exactly 3" inches, no spacer is needed.
                                The cons of doing this is that you will be foreverlow. Yes, the ride is great, but not ideal if you drive the car daily for obvious reasons.
                                Even raised maxed out height, you will have no fender gap. This is with less stack height from camber plates, and the use of a 1" taller spring. Getting an even taller spring is still not a solution because you have now topped out the shock.

example:
                                IX inserts
                                3" chopped
                                7" coil
                                Short stacked camber plates
                                Collar adjusted is height pictured in the following photo.

What I'm saying is to cut 2" to 2.5" at most.
                                what coilover conversion is this? GC? Also what camber plates that ride height my dream, you think it would be safe with a really good skid plate?
                                Originally posted by Vokuhila
                                I laughed, and then I serioused

Comment

Working...
                                X