Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Koni/ Ground Control shocks Read Before Installing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RaabsIn513 View Post

I'm confident I didn't misplace any hardware. The Koni Orange struts are a larger diameter 22mm nut vs 19mm which seems to be the reason the one washer below the strut nut didn't fit

Make extra sure you got all 3x washer back in place, especially washer number 8. Otherwise you more then likely have a faulty top mount like your thinking.

Attached Files

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
    1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
    1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
    1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
    1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
    1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
    Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
    1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
    1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

yes, I absolutely do.

I contacted FCP euro about the issue. Funny enough, the rep had ran into the same situation on his E30 and claimed it as a non issue once back in the car with the weight of the car keeping things in place. They did take care of me when ordering new strut mounts and included return shipping labels. Great customer service.

I installed the new mount in the same order as above. there was still some wobble! significantly less than what was in my youtube video. I went ahead and installed that. I'll be returning the floppy one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	greenE30 - Copy.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	9934918

Comment

Why wouldn't you get the Meyle mount from fcp?
        It costs $10 more.

I bought them instead and had no problems after watching the video of Practical Enthusiast.

Comment

Originally posted by Vincenze View Post
          Why wouldn't you get the Meyle mount from fcp?
          It costs $10 more.

I bought them instead and had no problems after watching the video of Practical Enthusiast.
          My fault, didn't do my dd.

Do you know if that one allows you to stick a 22mm socket in the center. That was the problem that started this thread as the original was a 19mm strut nut and the OE mounts wouldn't accept a 22mm socket.

Comment

Originally posted by RaabsIn513 View Post

My fault, didn't do my dd.

Do you know if that one allows you to stick a 22mm socket in the center. That was the problem that started this thread as the original was a 19mm strut nut and the OE mounts wouldn't accept a 22mm socket.
            Yes, the hole is much bigger. The original covering cap is too small, as well as Koni's.

But my Konis came with 19 mm nuts. I needed that special 19 mm socket to hold the strut from rotating.
            Unlike the original nuts, they didn't have nylon locks - just regular nuts and spring washers.

I actually had bigger nuts with nylon locks, but then I couldn't use that 19 mm socket. So, I decided against them.

Last edited by Vincenze; 06-26-2020, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Hey guys, I know this is an old posting, but I figured I’d contribute for the first time to the site. I found this thread due to having the same issue as the op did way back. My new Koni orange inserts had to large of a nut to fit into my 87s strut mounts. I ended up finding a 19mm sized washer nut for each side to work. After driving the car, with my H&R springs and new inserts, that the strut mounts were pretty worn and needed changing anyway. Hoping to find a pair of Meyle mounts which were suggested here and in a few other threads on net, I was out of luck. On a whim and because they were on sale I ordered a new set of the URO mounts, and discovered that they too fit the larger hardware like the Meyle units. I know the UROs have a hit or miss rep, but for $20 a piece I decided to give them a shot.

That being said, I haven’t installed them
              yet, but will do so on Friday. I’ll touch base then with my impressions on function after they’re on the car.

Trey
              Last edited by treystoys; 09-29-2022, 06:34 PM. Reason: Misspelled URO as IRO…sorry!

Comment

Update from previous post. The URO mounts work as expected with the larger Koni nuts, albeit are a bit soft to use with the spring/strut package I’m using (part number 29664 H&R springs with the Koni orange inserts)

Comment

Working...
                X