Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to lower the front of your car for free (welding required)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to lower the front of your car for free (welding required)

Hey guys,

I don't post on this forum but I have a street strip drag car that I have been building with a solid rear axle and a 4 link rear suspension that I built. Anyway I have wanted to lower the front of my car for some time now but I didn't like the options available so I decided to come up with something myself to fit my needs. Since this is a street strip car I do not want a high rate spring in the front of the car since it is not conducive to weight transfer. Here are my goals,

Lower the front end of the car by 1 - 1.5 inches
    Retain the original bump and extension travel of the shocks
    Retain my factory sport spring rates
    Utilize the bilstien HD sport shocks that were installed by the previous owner

The big issue here is maintaining full shock travel. I could just cut the springs or find some low rate lowering springs but that would cause the car to ride on the bumpstops and drive terrible. I know that bilstien will on special request shorten shocks for a fairly high price so I looked for some info to see what is actually inside these shocks. I found this video of a mini cooper shock which gave some clues.

#Bilstein #FCMElite #bumpstop #strut #inverted Timestamps0:01 Heat nut to soften threadlocker0:30 Remove end nut (17mm socket)0:47 Use wire brush to clean sh...

I decided to cut open one of my shock to see whats in there.

Here is a section view of whats inside the struts and how the pieces fit together. For the purpose of discussion I have labeled all the components. I don't know if these are the correct names, and don't care.

Now what we want to do here is to shorten the strut housing by an inch, but in order for the shock to fit down inside the housing and still be able to get the retaining nut on, we also need to shorten the shock sleeve by an inch. Finally in order to gain back the full suspension travel, we also need to cut an inch off the bump stops to restore the original bump travel of the shock.

Here is how I went about it. Please not this is a mixture of pictures from both shocks I did so the parts may look different in some pictures.

First before I pulled it apart I measured the max distance the shock could compress before bottoming out on the spring hat just for reference. 7 inches

Here is the shock after removing from the strut housing. There is a metal cap which apears to either be threaded or somehow bonded to the bottom of the yellow shock sleeve. The shaft of the shock threads into the center of this cap. I tried several ways to try to get this cap off but it would not move. I was worried about damaging the sleeve so I decided to just cut it.

I marked a line 1 inch from the bottom cap and cut the tube with a bandsaw. You don't want to cut the bump stop, so be careful to only let the blade go in an 1/8 or so.

The bump stop is a 3.5 inches long and made of urethane foam. It is cone shaped on one end. The total available shaft travel inside the shock is 6 3/4 inches, however the bump stop takes up a significant amount of that space and can't be completely compressed, so effective shock travel stock is probably about 5.5" or so with the bump stop in place.

Next I removed the end cap by sliding up the bump stop and grabbing the very end of the shaft with a vice grip and turning the end cap off. This mars the shaft slightly but the seal on the shock will never travel this far due to the bump stop. Next I cut another 1 inch section from the sleeve, and cut the end 1 inch off the bump stop.

At this point you could also if you desire shorten the shaft of the shock. The only thing this would do is limit the extension travel of the shock.

Now we are ready to weld the sleeve back together. Grind the paint off from the weld joint about 3/8". Put the bump stop back on the shaft and thread the end cap back on and tighten it. Before sliding the sleeve back on, slide the bump stop all the way up against the shock. This will keep it away from the heat of welding.

align the two pieces together and tack wend them in several places.

fully weld the two halves back together. The sleeve is very thin. I tig welded it with stainless filler using 35 amps. If you have a mig welder you will need to stitch weld it to avoid burning through. This is not a place for brazing or stick welding.

Quick shot of paint and your done with that.

Next you will need to shorten the strut housing.

Here is the strut housing after marking and cutting out a 1 inch section. I cut this with a cutoff wheel in an angle grinder. These cuts need to be accurate in order to get the housing back together straight.

Next thing is to install the shock back in the housing and partially thread the retaining nut in place. This will hold the strut in alighnment while you tack weld it.

Make plenty of tack welds which will help to keep it from warping when it is finish welded. Now remove the retaining nut and shock to avoid over heating them.

Weld the rest of the joint. Weld this in short sections alternating around the tube to avoid warping it. I tig welded the tube at 75 amps with steel filler. Mig is fine to.

Once it has cooled install the shock in the housing to make sure it still fits. You may need to use a die grider to clean up the joint on the inside of the tube if you had a bit to much penetration.

If you found that the tube warped when you welded it the shock may not fit all the way down, or you may find you can't get the retainer nut back on. You can straighten the tube by adding another partial weld bead above the previous. This will shrink the steel and cause the top of the tube to bend toward the side with the weld bead.

To check clearance in the car I assembled the strut without a spring and installed in the car. I jacked the strut up until the weight for the car was sitting on the bump stop in order to fully compress it. I have run a 25 inch tire in the front on account of the 28 inch tires in the back of my car, so clearance is tighter for me than if you were using a normal size e30 tire. I had plenty of clearance lock to lock.

Here you can see why I chose to shorten the strut only 1 inch. If the strut were shortened any more my tires would hit the spring perches. With a shorter tire you may be able to get by shortening everything by 1.5" or so.

Here it is painted up and assembled. I chose to also add an E90 .5" drop hat to lower it a tiny bit more.

Here is what the car looked like at stock height

Here is after. Please note the tire is sitting on a 2x6 because the other side had not yet been done when this picture was taken. I also lowered the rear 1 inch and removed my wheel spacers from the back.

Cost = mabey $3 worth of argon? This method will retain the full stock bump travel and spring length so it should ride just like it did before, just an inch lower. Time involved was probably 2 hours for the first side and an hour for the second, not counting time measuring and testing. I no longer have the factory rear suspension so someone else will have to figure out a diy for that end of the car.

I'm not at all interested in debating if this is better or worse than option a or b or c. This is how I did it, take it or leave it.

thanks and enjoy
    Last edited by someguy2800; 03-05-2016, 02:26 AM.
    86 325es, built 2.8L non vanos m50, borg warner s366, megasquirt 2, ford 9 inch rear end with 4 link, 325 drag radials, T56 magnum trans, mantic twin disc clutch, zip ties, tape spray paint

I was thinking about it over breakfast and I think there would be an easier way to do this and avoid having to section or weld the sleeve at all. I should have thought of this to begin with. Somebody will have to try it.

Someone try it and report back.
    86 325es, built 2.8L non vanos m50, borg warner s366, megasquirt 2, ford 9 inch rear end with 4 link, 325 drag radials, T56 magnum trans, mantic twin disc clutch, zip ties, tape spray paint

Comment

Sub'd Looks good!

I've seen your thread on BFC I think it was, your car is insane! :up:
      -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
      08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
      318iS, slow build/garage queen...
      '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
      Originally posted by roguetoaster
      Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Any downsides to this?

Sent from my payphone using Tapatalk
        1986 LTW M52 (First project 2015- )
        1998 e36 328ic/5 -
        Roundie alpina pig cheek’d (1969)
        1967 2002 parts car
        1994 318iS junked.

Comment

Tell me more about your drag car
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

You could just remove the yellow tube/bumpstop tube before cutting it, then you don't have to worry about hitting the shaft or bump stop.

I can't remember exactly what the inside of the tube looks like, but if there isn't any kind of bushing between it and the shock body for the first inch, you could just cut it there?
            Originally posted by priapism
            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
            Originally posted by shameson
            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Damn thats a good days project but nice man thats the way to do it!
              Been thinking about cutting a coil but then as you said was worried about travel.
              88' BMW 325is - Daily

Comment

Originally posted by someguy2800 View Post

Someone try it and report back.
                This is what I'm saying in my last post. Just take the yellow outer housing off the lower plate instead of doing the cutting/unscrewing stuff.

Still think you'll run into travel issues doing this, since the compressed height of the strut insert will remain the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                  This is what I'm saying in my last post. Just take the yellow outer housing off the lower plate instead of doing the cutting/unscrewing stuff.

Still think you'll run into travel issues doing this, since the compressed height of the strut insert will remain the same.
                  I was not able to remove the cap from the tube. I stopped trying because I was not willing to damage the tube. By shortening the internal bump stop you also shorten the compressed height of the strut.

Comment

Mine came apart easily using a chisel to separate the end cap from the tube when I cut half the bump stops out.

After driving the car like that for a year, I think I should've left them alone because when they bottomed out, it was really harsh. This was on H&R Race, no spring pads, and those shitty ebay camber plates to try to lessen stack height more.

Definitely wasn't a good setup, but with a taller spring, it's probably pretty nice.

Comment

In Poland in our's project's we use shock's from opel astra F :) It litlle bit shorter then e30 :)

Second step is cut factory spring plate, and welded coil with some aftermarket spring for coilover's :)

Price for this suspension at our country is some 200$. (two brand new shock's two brand new spring's, custom coilover's with nut's made in local mechanic and cutting and welding)
                      World quality custom part's for your race/drift/drag BMW, in low cost money.

https://www.facebook.com/Projects.SAS

Comment

Killer thread. Ya'll know me, I love free shit. Great welding tips as well.
                        Originally posted by Andy.B
                        Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
                        1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
                        ~~~~~~~~~~
                        I was born on 3/25…
                        ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                        X