Touring Spoiler Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Touring Spoiler Removal

My rear "spoiler" needs to be painted. It would be so much easier to do if I can take it off.

Does anyone know how that thing comes off?

I believe it's only clipped in, so probably just lifting/prying. Checking the part diagram http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E3..._single_parts/ the clip looks like it slides in to the spoiler as well. But according to these pics https://www.classiceuroparts.com/pro...iler-oem-used/ it looks like there may be fasteners on the ends.

Comment

I don't see any clips anywhere. Do I have to take off the trim on the inside of the rear hatch to find the attachments?

Comment

Here's some more info: https://www.e30zone.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=277797

Comment

Originally posted by Cloggy Saint
          The back of the spoiler has about 6 expanding clips that push into a channel on the tailgate. On top of that there's probably some kind of adhesive that's been used too. All you can do is get a wide, thin edge under the lower edge of the spoiler and prise it off. You're pretty much guaranteed to break the clips, and prise it very carefully because if you put a kink in it you won't get it out again!
          QF posterity.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

QF posterity.
            Interesting reply in the same thread: IIRC, the clips are only to locate the thing in place, so not really necessary. The real fixing is by polyurethane adhesive.

I have a new spoiler from BMW on the shelf, so I'll take take it out of the box and report back.
            1992 325i Cabrio
            1988 320i Touring
            2000 M5
            1977 530i
            2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
            BMWCCA
            E30CCA

Comment

Originally posted by cory58 View Post

Interesting reply in the same thread: IIRC, the clips are only to locate the thing in place, so not really necessary. The real fixing is by polyurethane adhesive.

I have a new spoiler from BMW on the shelf, so I'll take take it out of the box and report back.
              I'm anxiously waiting for an update to this. Any new info?

Comment

Here are photos of my new spoiler straight out of the BMW box. The orange stripe is adhesive. Doesn't seem like much to hold it on. The close up shows a hole that may be for a locating pin.

Spolier 2 by cory58f5, on Flickr
                Spoiler 1 by cory58f5, on Flickr
                1992 325i Cabrio
                1988 320i Touring
                2000 M5
                1977 530i
                BMWCCA
                E30CCA

Comment

I guess I just peel it off. Maybe a heat gun would loosen it up.

Comment

Since it's just for the purpose of painting the spoiler; why not remove the tailgate as a whole, and tape off what needs taped off?
                    Seems easier than messing with adhesives, but that could very well be just me, because I never like messing with that stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by 323i E30 View Post
                      Since it's just for the purpose of painting the spoiler; why not remove the tailgate as a whole, and tape off what needs taped off?
                      Seems easier than messing with adhesives, but that could very well be just me, because I never like messing with that stuff.
                      That sounds like a pretty good idea. Any idea how hard it is to remove the door?

Comment

Not too hard, but looking at this video I'm coming back on my words and would just remove the spoiler after all.. :)
                        Around 4:30 the spoiler comes off. Around 7:00 the tailgate.

Comment

It looks like masking it in place might be easier.

Comment

Originally posted by 323i E30 View Post
                            Not too hard, but looking at this video I'm coming back on my words and would just remove the spoiler after all.. :)
                            Around 4:30 the spoiler comes off. Around 7:00 the tailgate.
                            Thanks for posting the video. Bookmarked for when I get around to the body restoration of my Touring!

Cory
                            1992 325i Cabrio
                            1988 320i Touring
                            2000 M5
                            1977 530i
                            BMWCCA
                            E30CCA

Comment

I actually have done this a few times now... the best way to remove it for me was a heat gun from inside the glass. Get it nice and hot, take your and use a fishing line to cut through the adhesive. Those holes have plastic clips in them usually, but I have found that all 3 I removed have had some sort of extra bonding on them and the clips were either broken or slide out easily. Be very careful not to bend the edges there is thin metal that is inside it and once it gets deformed it takes alot of work to get back to a normal shape.
                              Originally posted by IRON-E
                              Skirtz are for zeh womenzzzz....

Comment

Working...
                              X