Seat Backs Stuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seat Backs Stuck

Does anyone know how to make the rear seat back releases work correctly? Mine will not release the seat unless I use a screwdriver to release them from the rear.

If i understand correctly it sounds like the release cables have broken. RealOEM calls them "ropes" and the last time I bought any they were not very much from the dealer. I suggest trying to remove the back cover and move the release levers. If the cranks dont move thats your problem
    Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
    Alice the Time Capsule
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
    87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Is the black plastic tab on top of the seats damaged or stuck? Pushing on the release lever under the bottom cushion does nothing? The latches can simply get gummed up in my experience, so remove and clean.

Comment

Can you see the release lever moving the part that sticks out the top of the seat? If so, you may just need to adjust the post to change the point at which it mates with the latch.
        1992 325i Cabrio
        1988 320i Touring
        2000 M5
        1977 530i
        2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
        BMWCCA
        E30CCA

Comment

If I unstick them with my screwdriver, the buttons on the top of the seat work correctly. If I close the seats, the buttons go down and I then have nothing to push on and need a screwdriver to release the seats.

Comment

Originally posted by twright View Post
            If I unstick them with my screwdriver, the buttons on the top of the seat work correctly. If I close the seats, the buttons go down and I then have nothing to push on and need a screwdriver to release the seats.
            Not to sound like a broken record, but when you lift up the seat bottoms there are thin levers that stick out. What happens when you actuate those?

Comment

Ok, its clear I don't know how this thing works.

I just learned that there are levers under the seat bottoms.

When I push on those, the seat backs usually unlock. I guess this means they work.

Does this mean that the things sticking up from the seat back aren't the release mechanism? And that they are only there to lock onto the seat bottom when the back is folded down?

Comment

You are pretty much correct, but many people likely use them as part of the release system as evidenced by the "apprentice" marks on the plastic.

Seems like your latches are gummy or have worn out springs, or the cables are damaged.

Ultimately it will be annoying for a while, until you discover that the touring is about the same as a sedan, and you almost never flip the seats down again.

Comment

I flip em down regularly for transporting stuff. It's a great advantage over the sedan to me.

Comment

Working...
                  X