Slow Leak Coming Out of Frame Rail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow Leak Coming Out of Frame Rail

Any one have an idea where this leak is coming from? Its super slow, maybe a drop every 3 days. The interior is super dry. I cleaned the engine bay and around all the lines and drain and fluid still leaks out of that drain hole.

What does the fluid smell, look and feel like? Where along the frame rail is it? Post pic w/t wider frame for reference. Your choices are oil, ATF (power steering), condensation, or coolant
    GK
    Conformity is a crime

Comment

e30 speed sweat ..

Comment

Originally posted by Gk-89E30 View Post
        What does the fluid smell, look and feel like? Where along the frame rail is it? Post pic w/t wider frame for reference. Your choices are oil, ATF (power steering), condensation, or coolant
        honestly looks like brake fluid or oil it’s amberish in color

Comment

just based off how bad the paint looks around it, I imagine it's brake fluid.

Could be a leak from the brake or clutch master cyls, either dripping down the inside of the firewall or the outside.
          Originally posted by priapism
          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
          Originally posted by shameson
          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post

Could be a leak from the brake or clutch master cyls, either dripping down the inside of the firewall or the outside.
            I wish it were that simple. I checked the master and its dry as an old lady's cooch.

Comment

it could be coming from anywhere and following the rail down to the lowest point. check the brake lines including the hard lines along the rail. sometimes a rubber line will sweat before it gives out completely, they'll do it for quite some time. you want to check the hard lines to eliminate the possibility of corrosion / rust damage.

Comment

Originally posted by 82eye View Post
                it could be coming from anywhere and following the rail down to the lowest point. check the brake lines including the hard lines along the rail. sometimes a rubber line will sweat before it gives out completely, they'll do it for quite some time. you want to check the hard lines to eliminate the possibility of corrosion / rust damage.
                Thats what I figured but the it’s not coming from either side If that makes sense. Like it’s not wet before or after that hole. The hard lines are also on right side of the rail. The leak is coming straight form that hole.

Comment

Question, can there be fluid leaking from between the inside and outside firewall? I removed the carpet and its all dry

Comment

Could be between the firewall and the thick insulation mat on the engine bay side of the firewall if your car still has that.

Comment

The only thing that is even remotely in that area is the brake/clutch fluid. I had a leak at the plastic elbow on the clutch master that would drip slowly and absorbed through the carpet before and eventually out of the frame rail before I found it. I did notice I was losing brake fluid but it was so slow I didn't think much of it. If it's not your clutch master, it could also be the brake master leaking into the booster or the lines, or the fitting to the clutch slave cylinder.
                      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Could be between the firewall and the thick insulation mat on the engine bay side of the firewall if your car still has that.
                        Is there a drain there that would lead to the frame rail hole where my leak is coming out of?

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
                          The only thing that is even remotely in that area is the brake/clutch fluid. I had a leak at the plastic elbow on the clutch master that would drip slowly and absorbed through the carpet before and eventually out of the frame rail before I found it. I did notice I was losing brake fluid but it was so slow I didn't think much of it. If it's not your clutch master, it could also be the brake master leaking into the booster or the lines, or the fitting to the clutch slave cylinder.
                          I have a feeling it’s a fluid leak in the booster since that goes through the firewall but my brakes don’t feel spongy at all

Comment

Put a paper towel under the brake booster and see if it gets wet.

Comment

Originally posted by AmosCake View Post

Is there a drain there that would lead to the frame rail hole where my leak is coming out of?
                              No, just if it runs down the firewall and onto the frame rail.

Comment

Working...
                              X