Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Importing Euro Spec E30

Hi all,

Have any of you ever imported an E30 from Europe? The customs agency I am dealing with is requiring the manufacturing plant name and address.

Usually that information is listed in the VIN number with a letter in the 10 or 11th character. However, in Europe they are less stringent and so that information is not listed. It's an 1988 E30 320. All my research is leading to either the Munich or Regensburg plant in Germany. I tried to contact the BMW archive team but it seems they are moving and so no answer from them.

I've also tried to do a VIN decoder but the plant name/address is not displayed (I purchased a record too).

If any of you know for certain where the 1988 E30 320's where built I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

To my surprise, when I put the VIN for a 1988 320i Touring (Italian market; also no letter in the 10/11 position) into bimmer.work, it lists "BMW AG / Spartanburg, USA" as the manufacturer! I'm skeptical that's correct. I didn't get any results from the other VIN decoders.

Comment

Lengthy thread on importing located in the Touring section. If the answer is not in the thread, it might help to post your question there because many Touring owners have imported their cars.
      1992 325i Cabrio
      1988 320i Touring
      2000 M5
      1977 530i
      2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
      BMWCCA
      E30CCA

Comment

Originally posted by arp View Post
        To my surprise, when I put the VIN for a 1988 320i Touring (Italian market; also no letter in the 10/11 position) into bimmer.work, it lists "BMW AG / Spartanburg, USA" as the manufacturer! I'm skeptical that's correct. I didn't get any results from the other VIN decoders.
        VIN decoders are mostly broken these days, clearly any E30 has no association with Spartanburg.

Originally posted by cory58 View Post
        Lengthy thread on importing located in the Touring section. If the answer is not in the thread, it might help to post your question there because many Touring owners have imported their cars.
        Basically none of that would be helpful to the Canadian OP unfortunately.

To the OP, in theory, the 11th digit of the VIN tells you, so:

A/F/K = Munich
        E/J/P = Regensburg
        N = Pretoria/Rosslyn ZA

Comment

What is so special about the 1988 E30 320? Does it have a rare color and very few miles?

I believe US models were better equipped. The bumpers is a different story, of course.

If it just a 320 without i, then it has a carburetor, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Vincenze View Post
            What is so special about the 1988 E30 320? Does it have a rare color and very few miles?

I believe US models were better equipped. The bumpers is a different story, of course.

If it just a 320 without i, then it has a carburetor, correct?

yes low mileage, and convertible. American BMW’s were mostly popular in the northern state where the weather is colder. They’re more susceptible to cold, Rust and the crap that comes with it.

Not to mention as you said euro spec cars look much nicer.

Comment

bringing in a vert is the least of all possible returns. but if you're never selling why not ? that's what it's gotten to be here. especially from manitoba east. there's not much in canada now when hunting e30's

i still would have looked at later US cars first though. i guess maybe some cache a la euro but 320i and yawn when later world cars where all plastic bumpered. it'll be a nice weather day cruiser.

Comment

Originally posted by 82eye View Post
                bringing in a vert is the least of all possible returns. but if you're never selling why not ? that's what it's gotten to be here. especially from manitoba east. there's not much in canada now when hunting e30's

i still would have looked at later US cars first though. i guess maybe some cache a la euro but 320i and yawn when later world cars where all plastic bumpered. it'll be a nice weather day cruiser.
                Yes, well there's also the most important aspect which is price. It's a really good price. Half of what it would cost me here. Game theory comes into play here as well (whole other discussion).

You will almost always find a better deal on a European car in Europe than here. You just have to make sure shipping and customs is within reason.

The way I see it is if you want to buy a Euro car look at the Euro market first. I would never buy a 65 ford mustang from Europe before looking heavily in the USA. I have the same mentality with Euro cars. Then you add the fact that these older BMW's are less desirable by Europeans and much more common than here. They go for cheaper and less demand so price drops with time. You can find an E30 M3 in Europe in the 50K range euro. Good luck finding anything under 80K USD here. People just don't want to go through the hassle of customs and shipping which is where the opportunity cost comes into play.

Comment

European cars generally have more rust than US convertibles as they were usually bought by people in California, Texas, etc.

Comment

European cars generally have more rust than US convertibles as they were usually bought by people in California, Texas, etc.
                    Could be but E30 convertibles go for much more in the USA than Europe. Convertibles isn't as popular or in demand in Europe as here so there's opportunities there.

And to be honest any 30-40 years old car needs a new paint job and rust work anyways. It's an investment you have to make sooner or later. What you don't want is body or engine damage. Much easier to fix paint or rust than find OEM bumper or engine from that era. Aftermarket body is another thing but lets not get into it.

The way I see it is if I can find an E30 for half the cost in Europe than here it is -EV for me to look in Canada or USA for it. I'll accept the extra hassle with customs but then take that extra money savings to put it in the car.

To each their own I guess.

Comment

verts are always in better shape here since they don't see the miles or the salt. they use them different in europe than they do in north america, but most will be in a similar situation.
                      i dunno what you are comparing to. last time i was in europe a decent e30, or really any car was about the same or more than here after exchange.

i know someone who just imported a touring. they actually traveled to see the car in person. it was the second one they brought over, the first was riddled with hidden rust. which is why they traveled for this one. a vert is a usually a safer bet unseen. but i still wouldn't bite without getting my eyes on the car.

Comment

I have bought two Tourings from Europe. They are both great cars. One had a little bit of rust and the other one did not. In both cases, asking a lot of questions and getting a lot pictures made it so I had a pretty good idea what condition the cars were in before I saw them.

With both cars, I had them shipped to the port in Baltimore, flew there and drove them back. I had no major problems driving them 650 miles to Indianapolis.

Go for it!

Comment

Originally posted by twright View Post
                          I have bought two Tourings from Europe. They are both great cars. One had a little bit of rust and the other one did not. In both cases, asking a lot of questions and getting a lot pictures made it so I had a pretty good idea what condition the cars were in before I saw them.

With both cars, I had them shipped to the port in Baltimore, flew there and drove them back. I had no major problems driving them 650 miles to Indianapolis.

Go for it!
                          the rotten one was through an import dealer. the good car was a private sale where the buyer dealt with the owner directly before purchase. usually you would expect the opposite outcome.

Comment

Is something like this?

E30 M3 320 convertible.
                            https://www.milanuncios.com/bmw-de-s...-398715156.htm

Something is fishy about it.

There are mostly 250,000 km cars for 10,000 €.
                            ---
                            Here is an original 270,000 km M3 for 79,000 €.
                            Where are you getting super cheap M3s?
                            https://www.milanuncios.com/bmw-de-s...-436841561.htm
                            Last edited by Vincenze; 01-21-2022, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Is something like this?

E30 M3 320 convertible.
                              https://www.milanuncios.com/bmw-de-s...-398715156.htm

Something is fishy about it.

There are mostly 250,000 km cars for 10,000 €.
                              ---
                              Here is an original 270,000 km M3 for 79,000 €.
                              Where are you getting super cheap M3s?
                              https://www.milanuncios.com/bmw-de-s...-436841561.htm
                              No it's not a convertible M3. For one a convertible M3 at 20K euros is very fishy. It's either stolen or milage heavily changed. Plus this is an auto. Anybody buying an auto M3 deserves to get scammed lol

Comment

Working...
                              X