Engine Fire Suppression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 808ETA View Post
    I bought the Element fire extinguishers for the100 second discharge rate and non- corrosive chemical. https://elementfire.com/products/element-e100
    Interesting that you mention the Element extinguishers.
    I used to carry a 5lb Amerex Purple-K extinguisher as it's supposed to be less corrosive then traditional dry chem.
    Pretty large and hard to mount inside the cabin.

I've since switched to an Element E100, but have yet to mount it in the car.
    It's small enough for mounting under the seat, so that is the likely location.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave View Post
      Keep in mind fuel fires are going to take more than a small hand held bottle to put out. If you want to see something eye opening, go find the recent video of Collette Davis's Corvette having a fuel fire on track. I think it took five 5lb bottles to put it out.
      There was another video recently circulating about an MR2 that caught fire and the small extinguishers didnt really do much short of buying some time until the safety workers arrived with the legit extinguishers
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I think the most proactive thing you can do is to replace all the rubber in the fuel system (don't forget to at least check FPR, Injectors), secure things properly (meaning FI clamps and protecting against chafing), check things over frequently for cracks/chafe/cuts.

Sure a fire extinguisher is great to carry, and I'm all for that, but you should actively do your best to avoid needing the fire extinguisher in the first place.
        Originally posted by priapism
        My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
        Originally posted by shameson
        Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Panici View Post

Interesting that you mention the Element extinguishers.
          I used to carry a 5lb Amerex Purple-K extinguisher as it's supposed to be less corrosive then traditional dry chem.
          Pretty large and hard to mount inside the cabin.

I've since switched to an Element E100, but have yet to mount it in the car.
          It's small enough for mounting under the seat, so that is the likely location.

I still have my old 5lb in the trunk which is probably not the best location in an emergency but it was better than nothing. The element fits in my glove box so I keep it there which is really convenient.
          sigpic84 325e

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
            I think the most proactive thing you can do is to replace all the rubber in the fuel system (don't forget to at least check FPR, Injectors), secure things properly (meaning FI clamps and protecting against chafing), check things over frequently for cracks/chafe/cuts.

Sure a fire extinguisher is great to carry, and I'm all for that, but you should actively do your best to avoid needing the fire extinguisher in the first place.
            True! I like the idea of having a back up or two in place.
            sigpic84 325e

Comment

I’ll chime in here only because I just had a “small” engine fire. I second and third inspecting the fuel system parts often and replacing if you have any question about their age.

I can wholeheartedly recommend the Element E100, I believe it saved my car and it left nothing corrosive to clean off.

Comment

Originally posted by VTiX View Post
                I can wholeheartedly recommend the Element E100, I believe it saved my car and it left nothing corrosive to clean off.
                I have an Element in my Alfa and another in my kitchen. Nearly needed to use it the other day in the kitchen lol
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Watching the second car in this video has me thinking that an engine may be on fire for quite a while before there visible clues that its happening. If the windows are up I wonder how long it would be before its smelled or seen.

The other benefit of blazecut or systems like it is that its automatic. Sometimes cars catch fire after you've parked them and walk away.

Comment

Working...
                  X