Replacement Windshields: Options and Experiences?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Tzantushka
    replied
    As a datapoint ended up replacing the 20 year old windshield on the convertible.
    Very few places had them in stock.

    Ended up getting a Fuyao screen from the local aftermarket fitter.
    Used the existing seal but a new chrome locking strip from the dealer and it is much, much better than before.
    I can see even with sun glare.



    Comes with old-skool tinted band at the top, but also has the modern black coating & dots (frits) around the edges.



    May not be Pilkington, or OE Sekurit - but very happy having fresh glass.

    Leave a comment:


  • jrobie79
    replied
    Originally posted by AceAndrew777

    Another 02'r echoing what I found.... see last post.

    https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/to...omment-1652935


    Hope/wish I am wrong.
    I bought a TriVal back in May of this year. TriVal is a trademark of Pilkington. Portland Glass roughly $200.

    Leave a comment:


  • catchuk
    replied
    I replaced mine with a Fuyao for under $200 and it fit very well and I've had not issues 3 years later

    Leave a comment:


  • AceAndrew777
    replied
    Originally posted by roguetoaster
    Really? Pilkington doesn't show it as dead online, and they do list the E30 under classics.
    Another 02'r echoing what I found.... see last post.

    https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/to...omment-1652935


    Hope/wish I am wrong.
    Last edited by AceAndrew777; 02-07-2024, 09:14 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • LindrelT
    replied
    Maybe Pilkington is slow updating their web site…. Hopefully not!

    Leave a comment:


  • roguetoaster
    replied
    Really? Pilkington doesn't show it as dead online, and they do list the E30 under classics.

    Leave a comment:


  • AceAndrew777
    replied
    Originally posted by e30austin

    Gerard, i haven't tried looking, it's low on the priority list. hardly touch the car anymore... but it needs a windshield in a bad way.

    I don't know if this affects the E30...

    ...but Pilkington has shut down their classic car division. Was looking for one for my 2002 when I found this out.


    Many have had success with Walloth and Nesch, albiet shipping isn't cheap.

    Leave a comment:


  • bmwman91
    replied
    FYI the replacement glass that I had installed was a Fuyao unit. It looks fine, it fits fine, and I have no concerns about it. Dropping $1000 on an OEM piece of glass is not worth it IMO, unless you are doing an actual restoration.

    Leave a comment:


  • 82eye
    replied
    Originally posted by djanalog

    Thank you! My windshield is original and lots of little imperfections that make it hard to see through in certain light. Looking to replace it soon.
    you can polish it in the meantime.

    Leave a comment:


  • djanalog
    replied
    Originally posted by 4tDX
    You can reuse everything (#1, 2, and 3 in realoem). #3 the "Cup" on the front windshield probably isn't as important as it is for the back windshield, but you will need #1 and #2. The "decorative strip" locks it all in place.
    Thank you! My windshield is original and lots of little imperfections that make it hard to see through in certain light. Looking to replace it soon.

    Leave a comment:


  • 4tDX
    replied
    You can reuse everything (#1, 2, and 3 in realoem). #3 the "Cup" on the front windshield probably isn't as important as it is for the back windshield, but you will need #1 and #2. The "decorative strip" locks it all in place.

    Leave a comment:


  • djanalog
    replied
    To replace the windshield, can anyone clarify if any other parts are needed in addition to the windshield itself (51311884397) and potentially the Weatherstrip (51311913887)?
    ​

    Leave a comment:


  • e30austin
    replied
    Originally posted by 4tDX

    Were you able to find a source for a Pilkington front windshield locally?
    Gerard, i haven't tried looking, it's low on the priority list. hardly touch the car anymore... but it needs a windshield in a bad way.

    Leave a comment:


  • 4tDX
    replied
    Originally posted by e30austin

    $700 for a goddamn windshield. what a world we live in today...... even at 20% off list (shop price), that's still $560 for a genuine - i'll take my chances with a Pilkington for my red car.
    Were you able to find a source for a Pilkington front windshield locally?

    Leave a comment:


  • digger
    replied
    OEM Green

    Leave a comment:

Working...