Need to cut heated seat button holes into new center console

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to cut heated seat button holes into new center console

Hello all, i'm a new member to this blog but have been a long time lurker. I'd been wanting to purchase a center console with a cassette box for a while and i found one in good condition and excitedly bought it in a hurry, only to realize that my center console has heated seat buttons and the new one does not. I'll post some pictures to make it more clear, but basically i'm looking for advice on how to accurately / precisely cut rectangle holes in the new console to fit the buttons in. I don't want to make the holes too big and end up with wiggly buttons. Any advice is appreciated, cheers

Place a piece of paper over your old console and carefully trace the location of the heated seat buttons. Make sure to get a couple edges so you can align the paper on the new console. Move the paper to the new console, align, and tape it down. Use a fresh razor blade to cut out the holes. Start undersized and trim more as needed to get the buttons to fit. Use a dremel on the back side to cut through any metal.

Good luck!
    sigpic
    1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
    1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
    1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

I am pretty sure the heated seat switch holes are "marked" on the underside of the rear center console. At least they have been on several that I have had.
      1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
      1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
        Place a piece of paper over your old console and carefully trace the location of the heated seat buttons. Make sure to get a couple edges so you can align the paper on the new console. Move the paper to the new console, align, and tape it down. Use a fresh razor blade to cut out the holes. Start undersized and trim more as needed to get the buttons to fit. Use a dremel on the back side to cut through any metal.

Good luck!
        This honestly is a great idea, I think I’ll do this and cut the holes smaller on purpose and sand the edges until the buttons fit snug

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
          I am pretty sure the heated seat switch holes are "marked" on the underside of the rear center console. At least they have been on several that I have had.
          If this is the case, should be even easier than I thought. I’ll be receiving the console in the mail tomorrow, I’ll post some pictures of the process once I’m done

Comment

Can’t you just remove the cassette holder and put it in your current center console?
            1992 325i Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
              Yes, the holes are marked on the inside.. I just did this last summer. The buttons will cover minor imperfections, but it pays to take your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Lippy View Post

Yes, the holes are marked on the inside.. I just did this last summer. The buttons will cover minor imperfections, but it pays to take your time.
                hi im working on it as i type this, its good to see someone else has done this. what did you use to cut it?

Comment

Originally posted by nadodude111 View Post
                  Can’t you just remove the cassette holder and put it in your current center console?
                  No, it would take more cutting than the two window switches would.
                  "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                  88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                  89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                  91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post

No, it would take more cutting than the two window switches would.
                    I’m confused. The cassette box is definitely removable. Ive had one. Just pull it out of the center console without the heated seat holes and install it in the center console with the heated seat holes. No cutting necessary. What am I missing?
                    1992 325i Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by nadodude111 View Post

I’m confused. The cassette box is definitely removable. Ive had one. Just pull it out of the center console without the heated seat holes and install it in the center console with the heated seat holes. No cutting necessary. What am I missing?
                      I have the early version and the bottom tray area is cut out to allow room for the tapes. So the cassette box can't simply be swapped without modification to the console.
                      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post

I have the early version and the bottom tray area is cut out to allow room for the tapes. So the cassette box can't simply be swapped without modification to the console.
                        This makes sense and my mistake!
                        1992 325i Convertible

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	165.7 KB ID:	10115307

Finally found a pic online. It seems the center console is not just cut but it also has these clips to secure the tape holders. OP you can also see the template for the heated seat switches.

Comment

Working...
                          X