VW to BMW... a step up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VW to BMW... a step up?

when i used to own a VW, i would go out to Bimmer meets and some guys would tell me i need to step up to a BMW. i know they are two different driving experiences seeing as how bmw is rear drive and VW is front drive.
    anyone her have a VW as a daily and a bmw as a toy? Or visa versa?
    How does a 12 valve Vr6 feel in comparison to an M20?

BMW is definitely a step up.

Once you try E30 there's no going back.

>> 1988 3.1 ITB E30 /// 2002 E46 M3 6MT / 2008 335xi 6MT / 1991 S38B36 E30 (sold)

Comment

VR6 pulls harder(in stock form)

Comment

Vr6 pulls harder yea but try to sling that shit around a corner. E30 = PWND!

Comment

Originally posted by previasc96 View Post
          when i used to own a VW, i would go out to Bimmer meets and some guys would tell me i need to step up to a BMW. i know they are two different driving experiences seeing as how bmw is rear drive and VW is front drive.
          anyone her have a VW as a daily and a bmw as a toy? Or visa versa?
          How does a 12 valve Vr6 feel in comparison to an M20?
          Lol.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by almostM View Post
            VR6 pulls harder(in stock form)
            Got to admit they sound nice with tuned exhaust. But yeah, FWD to RWD = new driving dynamics.
            Rides...
            1991 325i - sold :(
            2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

Originally posted by Vtec?lol View Post
              Vr6 pulls harder yea but try to sling that shit around a corner. E30 = PWND!
              Come to autocross in my region. There is a team of MkI VW's out of Eugene, Oregon that will stomp the SHIT out of everything on the course, regardless of drivetrain configuration. These cars consistently put down faster lap times that anything that comes out to play, and they're FWD.

I LOVE RWD. But briveline configuration doesn't mean SHIT when you've got the skills these guys have.

Comment

vw = form over function

bmw = function over form

at least thats how i percieve the two. yes obviously this isnt even close to being one hundred percent true, but generally i think it makes sense.

Originally posted by stewie30luvr
                ooo cause i was fixing my chain tensioner and there was a black widow on the radiator so i killed it
                Originally posted by JakeP
                with a coathanger

Comment

Originally posted by jasonsnoddy View Post
                  vw = form over function

bmw = function over form

at least thats how i percieve the two. yes obviously this isnt even close to being one hundred percent true, but generally i think it makes sense.
                  You're wrong on both accounts. VW is the European equivalent to what Honda is in the US. I'm not trying to talk shit, it's the truth. They're meant to be the economical, lower-cost choice for a good all-around dependable car. BMW is a luxury/sports car brand. Trying to compare the two is just silly, because they aren't in the same market.

Yes, VW makes/has made a few luxury models (Phaeton, CC), but overall, they are a German Honda. Even the lowest, stripped down current/recent base-model BMW is still considered a luxury German car.

Comment

when i'm driving my e30, i get more thumbs up or waves from v dub drivers than i do bimmer drivers. i would say as a whole, the vw seen is much more passionate about euros in general, that the typical bimmer driver. (i see a lot more modded vw than bimmers)

Comment

Originally posted by call me jack View Post
                      when i'm driving my e30, i get more thumbs up or waves from v dub drivers than i do bimmer drivers. i would say as a whole, the vw seen is much more passionate about euros in general, that the typical bimmer driver. (i see a lot more modded vw than bimmers)
                      That's been pretty much my experience, too. I consider myself an exception to that, as I'm in love with ALL euro cars, but BMW is where my heart is.

Comment

Originally posted by Janderson View Post
                        You're wrong on both accounts. VW is the European equivalent to what Honda is in the US. I'm not trying to talk shit, it's the truth. They're meant to be the economical, lower-cost choice for a good all-around dependable car. BMW is a luxury/sports car brand. Trying to compare the two is just silly, because they aren't in the same market.

Yes, VW makes/has made a few luxury models (Phaeton, CC), but overall, they are a German Honda. Even the lowest, stripped down current/recent base-model BMW is still considered a luxury German car.

i totally understand and agree, its just that here in the US the vw community is known for doing some pretty wacky things no?

im not talking about what they are meant to be,im talking about what people use them for.

from what ive seen a local bimmer guy is more likely to go to the track then paint his rims orange ya know?

Originally posted by stewie30luvr
                        ooo cause i was fixing my chain tensioner and there was a black widow on the radiator so i killed it
                        Originally posted by JakeP
                        with a coathanger

Comment

Well I have a VR6 jetta, and I hate it with a passion. yeah it's tourqey and fun to get on it, but thats where it ends. I heart my E30.

Any one want a vr6 mk4 jetta?

Comment

Fuck no, VW's are fucking gay.

;)

Comment

i work at VW / Audi and BMW is a big step up.
                              *** For sale: euro stuff, BBS steering wheels, smoked tail lights, bunch of rare wheels (5x120 and 4x100) ***

[/color]

Comment

Working...
                              X