Need the help of R3V - Amputee Driving a Clutch
Collapse
X
-
This may sound like a silly question, but considering all your cars are automatics, have you ever driven a manual transmission? If you can operate one fine, and prove it, I'm not sure why your parents would care. -
Well Im 16, so making my own flappy paddles... not in the works now.
Why not take the valave off say a Porsche tranny with the "tiptronic".
Still I dont like the idea...
No Heel Toes
No Double Clutches
No thinking
Its the same reason racecars rip out the ABSLeave a comment:
-
I am sure you know what a manual valve body is, but just in case:
A manual valve body is installed on an automatic transmission so that you control all the upshifts and downshifts, it does not do any shifting "automatically". In my opinion, having full control over what gear the car is in is the biggest reason why I like manual transmissions. I personally am not a big fan of manually operating a clutch. I much prefer a DSG style transmission since the car can operate a clutch much faster, much more smoothly, and with less wear, that I ever could.
I don't know of any manual valve bodies for e30's. I had considered taking that on as a capstone project but took something a little safer. However, some e34 and e39 automatics are GM-built units and may have some manual valve body compatability, or if you want to get really smart, create your own electronic control for it and run paddle shifters if you want.
It is all very crazy talk, but it is a viable option. Not so much for e30's but for a lot of other cars it is.Leave a comment:
-
Oh it would HAVE to work. Otherwise Im SOL. Big time
Brian enlighten me on your manual valve body thingLeave a comment:
-
I think it is totally do-able. I think an automatic with a manual valve body would be a lot of fun too ( lots more work in an e30 though).
Let me know if you need help doing any of the engineering/design work, just don't let your parents be:
Leave a comment:
-
I am not sure why you want to do it? Is it because you'll be having to use your right leg to operate two levers? You can drive an automatic so why not a stick?
Already answered the question i see.Leave a comment:
-
All our cars are autos, and I just drive with my left foot. I dont have the ability to accurately move my right leg from pedal to pedal, and driving with left foot braking is a BAD idea. I find too that I ride the gas if I try with my right leg, its too heavy. I clutch though would not have that problemSounds like a good idea.
But I would not change it. Otherwise you are setting yourself up for difficulty with any future car purchases.. ones that may not be able to be modified in that fashion.
While it's not recommended (especially by driving instructors), maybe practice left foot braking to alleviate any excessive motion of your right leg.
Good luck with your parents. A somewhat compelling argument is that a manual car forces you to be more aware of your speed and more aware of your car as it relates to the road.. as opposed to an automatic, where you can just mash throttle and end up going way too fast.Leave a comment:
-
^ oh forgot to mention.
I would put velcro on the pedal, and on the bottom of my foot. I heard of another amputee doing that, and its a good idea. I would just have to take my shoe off when stepping in. lolLeave a comment:
-
Sounds like a good idea.
But I would not change it. Otherwise you are setting yourself up for difficulty with any future car purchases.. ones that may not be able to be modified in that fashion.
While it's not recommended (especially by driving instructors), maybe practice left foot braking to alleviate any excessive motion of your right leg.
Good luck with your parents. A somewhat compelling argument is that a manual car forces you to be more aware of your speed and more aware of your car as it relates to the road.. as opposed to an automatic, where you can just mash throttle and end up going way too fast.Leave a comment:
-
How exactly will you operate the clutch with the fake leg? Fab something up to hold your foot on the pedal at all times?
Its pretty cool that you're determined to get a manual though, props :)Leave a comment:

Leave a comment: