Need the help of R3V - Amputee Driving a Clutch

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • funcrew
    replied
    Originally posted by 5Toes
    Oh I would Dont worry. My parents are just asshats
    No doubt the feeling is mutual. BTW given how most E30 enthusiasts drive, all you need is ON or OFF level modulation on your right gas-pedal leg, so no worries with the 5-speed.

    BTW, my big brother was born with a gimpy leg, and he's such a kick-ass guy (now age 53) that few people even know, even though he walks (and hikes, and waterskis, etc.) with a pronounced limp. A guy at my office rocks shorts with his stainless steel leg. The point is it's only a negative if you play it that way.

    Leave a comment:


  • 5Toes
    replied
    And yeah I see Alex's racecar setup on the website, but I might contact him and see what he drives on the street.

    Leave a comment:


  • 5Toes
    replied
    ^ so the kart shifter idea.

    The kart shifter idea I like. BUt you see I wanna be as normal as possible. Its like the paraplegic who doesn't want you to open the door, because he likes doing it himself. Moving the pedals is like in a normal car.

    And I dont want hand controls, because that requires a special driver's license. Definitely not for me.

    And how does the solenoid stuff work? I assume compressed air, based on the wikipedia album.

    Saturday, I was talking to a guy about his buddy who is a paraplegic and races spec miata. He ahs all handd controls and builds systems for people. But they are intricate and rely upon compressed air.

    The motorcycle MC is too weak I think.

    Leave a comment:


  • bernzpeed
    replied
    i've seen equipment installed for that purpose. the clutch is hand operated attached to the gear shifter. it's just like a brake lever for a bicycle attached to the shifter.

    Leave a comment:


  • Charlie
    replied
    Originally posted by Eric
    alex zanardi can do it, you can too!



    http://prostheticcenterofexcellence....ctober-23.html
    Psst.. Alex was driving a sequential gearbox car with hand controls.

    -Charlie

    Leave a comment:


  • Charlie
    replied
    Originally posted by DmcL
    why not fit an electric solenoid to activate the clutch and have it connected up to a switch on the gearstick? want to clutch then u just push the button while shifting.
    This is all pretty much standard hand control stuff. Been around for 30+ years. It's already been mentioned in this thread, the kid is 16, he doesn't want to use a solution that works, he wants to try and reverse engineer some hackjob shit.

    -Charlie

    Leave a comment:


  • DmcL
    replied
    why not fit an electric solenoid to activate the clutch and have it connected up to a switch on the gearstick? want to clutch then u just push the button while shifting.

    Leave a comment:


  • e30shmobberr
    replied
    I say go for it. Sorry to hear about the leg, ive have my share of medical problems, when i was 17 (19 now) i had 2 brain surgerys ha

    Leave a comment:


  • Holland
    replied
    I wouldn't pass up a decent condition auto per se, as 3 pedal swaps are pretty common in these cars.

    Leave a comment:


  • 5Toes
    replied
    But still is no manual.

    Jason we need to meet up sometime

    Leave a comment:


  • jasonsnoddy
    replied
    and +1 on autos not being that bad. ive autocrossed in an auto e30, it was still a blast.

    Leave a comment:


  • Turd
    replied
    Pursue your dream.

    Leave a comment:


  • 5Toes
    replied
    Originally posted by Charlie
    They're good cars. Try one.



    Didn't you just say you've never driven a manual?

    Why not just get one of those column mounted hand controls for the throttle and leave the rest of the system stock? These cars are old, I'm sure a system exists to adapt to it. Again, why reinvent the wheel with a rather questionable setup?

    -Charlie
    It isn't questionable. It will be solid, welds are strong stuff. Sure I havn't driven one, but Ive seen many people drive them. Ive pushedin a clutch pedal, I have shifted the gear lever. I know what is required.

    And E36s have their issues, like the interior. Also E36 land is not like E30 world.

    Originally posted by LJ851
    Are you familiar with "homo" velcro? There is no soft and hard sides, both sides are like hard plastic mini mushrooms .you would have to work to get your foot off that shit!
    Ill look into it. Link?

    This would work - http://www.velcro.com/index.php?page...trial-strength

    Originally posted by Eric
    alex zanardi can do it, you can too!



    http://prostheticcenterofexcellence....ctober-23.html
    Can you say BITCHIN?

    Leave a comment:


  • CabbE30
    replied
    Have you driven an auto e30? They can still be fun and driven through the gears with the shift lever. No one would give you shit about it either.

    But anyway, I think a hand operated clutch would be best.

    Leave a comment:


  • Eric
    replied
    alex zanardi can do it, you can too!



    Alessandro "Alex" Zanardi, (born October 23, 1966), is an Italian ex-Formula One driver who is better known for his dominance of CART series...

    Leave a comment:

Working...