Need the help of R3V - Amputee Driving a Clutch

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 5Toes
    replied
    Looks like Goodridge G-Line is the right stuff

    EDIT: or 810. It has the stainless steel braid.

    EDIT: Or 536 looks perfect. This is a low pressure application!.

    536 is $3 a foot though. Ouch
    Last edited by 5Toes; 03-29-2011, 12:08 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • 5Toes
    replied
    Originally posted by CabbE30
    Sorry if my suggestions are unhelpful. Just really interested in the outcome.

    You could mount it on the rear passenger side under the car. Like opposite of the exhaust. This would be the farthest point away from passengers also.
    Yup.

    So parts list.

    - Guy to help me!

    - Compressor. This would be great - http://www.viaircorp.com/OnRoad/100C.html and only about $90

    - Hoses. Well I am doing this quality right! Goodridge seems perfect! I just don't know which one of their products to use. Help?

    Electrical - Im talking solenoid valves and switches... $30 or so right?

    - Tank. This would be easy to find.

    Figure $90 for compressor, $50 for tank and $30 for fittings and $30 for electrical and Im at $200 even!

    Leave a comment:


  • 5Toes
    replied
    Not too bad on price either!

    Leave a comment:


  • CabbE30
    replied
    Sorry if my suggestions are unhelpful. Just really interested in the outcome.

    You could mount it on the rear passenger side under the car. Like opposite of the exhaust. This would be the farthest point away from passengers also.

    Leave a comment:


  • 5Toes
    replied
    Thanks!

    Leave a comment:


  • bimmerteck
    replied
    Viair makes great 12v pumps, I've used them for air ride setups for years, add a spare tire shaped tank and you good to go all stealth like.

    With best-in-class design and performance, VIAIR compressors lead the market in quality, reliability, and convenience.

    Leave a comment:


  • 5Toes
    replied
    Yeah. But these things are loud.

    Or get a compressor driven by belt off engine. Hmm that take alot of fab work though. and Id lose horsepower.

    But the tank is small enough to mount under the car

    Leave a comment:


  • CabbE30
    replied
    Could mount an air compressor in the trunk, run the lines by the fuel lines, up to the clutch. The electical lines would just follow the route back under the carpet to the trunk with all the other ones.

    The joystick was a joke btw

    Leave a comment:


  • 5Toes
    replied
    Ya Im not feeling joint stick idea

    But I think I am onto something.

    If I build this and it actually works. Money Money Money

    Leave a comment:


  • CabbE30
    replied
    Originally posted by 5Toes
    Haha no I thought of that. Well it could have two switches.

    1 for "sport mode". Where it shifts lightning fast no restriction.

    1 for "normal mode". Where there is separate circuit that is opened up to limit airflow down to a lower PSI. Like50. Lower would push clutch in slower.

    Damn I feel like an engineer
    Get an old computer joystick for like flight games and mod that to use your switches. Thatd be balla!


    Well actually itd look like shit in an e30 but still. Haha

    Leave a comment:


  • 5Toes
    replied
    This would be perfect

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...T4Z07R8BEQ6Z7B

    Leave a comment:


  • 5Toes
    replied
    Hard part would be finding a compressor small enough.

    The tank could be under a seat, or mounted up under the car.

    The compressor would build up 80 psi while warming up, and that should last a while on say a 1 gallon tank. Then the compressor could keep up with everyday driving just fine!

    Now just somebody who knows what they are doing to help me. Lol

    Leave a comment:


  • 5Toes
    replied
    Haha no I thought of that. Well it could have two switches.

    1 for "sport mode". Where it shifts lightning fast no restriction.

    1 for "normal mode". Where there is separate circuit that is opened up to limit airflow down to a lower PSI. Like50. Lower would push clutch in slower.

    Damn I feel like an engineer

    Leave a comment:


  • CabbE30
    replied
    Originally posted by 5Toes
    Oh I just built a simple solenoid valve. Well not a fully functioning valve but I get the idea.

    haha I took .5" PVC and wrapped solder around it. Well 12V 2 amps seered off the solder lol. So I took like 5 wraps of copper wire. Like 18 guage bare wire. It wasnt enough for a strong magnet but it held my steel bolt up fine.

    And the battery charger kept turning it self on and off, guess it was not used to such low resistance.

    Dream system would be a solenoid valve hooked up to like 80psi of air. Have button for it on shifter, then just hold button and shift.

    LIGHTNING FAST
    Well this sounds like a great idea! The only problem in thinking is how are you going to modulate the clutch with a push button? I can see it working for up/down shifts but modulation of the clutch is still required for these actions and especially for starting from a stop. You be doing burnouts every start.
    Maybe im missing somethig.

    Leave a comment:


  • MattM
    replied
    my uncle is paralyzed from the waist down, yet he is still able to drive thanks to hand controlled gas and brake pedals(automatic). If you adapted a similar system then used your foot for the clutch its very do-able..

    Leave a comment:

Working...