Need the help of R3V - Amputee Driving a Clutch

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 5Toes
    replied
    This ball joint would work great... then just put a nut on the end of the rod so that it can be removed

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-...ht_2797wt_1110

    and titanium tubing..

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/TITANIUM-TUB...#ht_500wt_1361

    Leave a comment:


  • 5Toes
    replied
    I will swap to a g260 one day... but no pedal changing will be done.. I can do this

    I will have an aluminium rod connected to the pedal via a ball joint type thing (so when I push down small angle changes can be accommodated)

    Then the stick will be kept in place by a u hook type thing around it, then all I have to do is push down, no looking at pedal to make sure it is on it or anything like that

    Should work... and the rod will have a pistol grip!

    EDIT: Damn I sound tooo excited. lol
    Last edited by 5Toes; 04-03-2012, 03:47 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Vivek
    replied
    Originally posted by 619E30
    SMG Conversion :)
    Ehh..just a fake manual. Yes I understand that it is 100% a manual transmission....but it's really not without a clutch pedal.

    Leave a comment:


  • Vivek
    replied
    You'll get used to it just like the rest of us. It seems like driving stick for you is not really any different than it is for us. Everyone stalls occasionally, and screws up when they first start out.

    Leave a comment:


  • 619E30
    replied
    SMG Conversion :)

    Leave a comment:


  • 5Toes
    replied
    I know how to drive a clutch, just cant physically execute it

    I had problems because I had to to think so hard about what I was doing. So like when I got into second I accidently didn't take my foot off the gas... but I was shifting so slow if I would have it would have been a harder shift. lol

    Leave a comment:


  • Vivek
    replied
    Haha good job andrew! I remember the first time I drove stick...never stalled it either because i knew exactly what I was doing :)

    Leave a comment:


  • 5Toes
    replied
    I did it! I drove a 5 speed! Didnt even kill it once! Rev matched into first while rolling too...

    I used a piece of driftwood as a stick for the clutch. lmao

    Leave a comment:


  • LJ851
    replied
    Originally posted by 5Toes

    Joe, also thanks for that duck clutch link. That is awesome

    Not going to work, an automotive single plate clutch has many times the spring pressure compared to a 8 or 9 plate motorcycle clutch. You would not be able to squeeze the lever.

    As i mentioned pages back a remote booster like some older cars used would be the easiest way to get a lighter clutch. Using simple leverage there is no way to get anything for free, Lighter effort means long throws at the input.

    Leave a comment:


  • shaferbm
    replied
    I'm studying biomedical engineering/biomechanics...you could be my dissertation in 4 years!

    Leave a comment:


  • 5Toes
    replied
    I will try the cane thing. Lol nothing to lose yeah?

    Cleg is out.. I cant stand those things. And they are soooo expensive. Like $50,000 expensive

    Joe, also thanks for that duck clutch link. That is awesome

    Leave a comment:


  • idanity
    replied
    uncertain if i posted, but i snapped my left leg a few years ago snowboarding in montana...

    i had a full cast from toes to crotch, and when the cast came off, (i took it off early to begin therapy) my leg was basically a noodle... i had to drive to get around by myself.

    so, i just used my cane, (being that i already knew how to drive, was easy) but i became very proficient at it...and, even though it may not be looked at as the best, i could shift up and down, double clutch, and do everything just fine...and that was using my hand to operate the clutch, (left leg).

    i mastered right foot braking
    i mastered cane braking
    i mastered heel - toe driving
    i mastered smoother corners (due to massive pain, since i couldn't take the meds while driving, i just bore it out, and i think i became a much better driver due to it.

    basically, everything i had to do, or tried and practiced doing, became natural, and increased my ability, it just takes time to start doing it.
    seriously, there is nothing you cannot do if your mind is set to do it.

    Leave a comment:


  • camshaftgsxr
    replied
    Originally posted by 5Toes
    cable operated? please elaborate
    i dont really know how it would work but it would be easy to operate, just an upside down lever that operated the clutch on the shifter so you would be able to easily operate it while also shifting.

    Leave a comment:


  • Joe G
    replied


    Manual Transmission - 1 leg amputee driving a 6 speed WS6, having an issue, please HELP!! - so i lost half of my left leg in a motorcycle wreck. since then i have taught myself how to drive a stick shift (2000 Pontiac ws6 6 speed) even though my prosthesis side has to work the clutch. To do this i simply take off my...


    Leave a comment:


  • 5Toes
    replied
    cable operated? please elaborate

    Leave a comment:

Working...