Need the help of R3V - Amputee Driving a Clutch

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 5Toes
    replied
    ^ I think you are confused

    Leave a comment:


  • Xaq
    replied
    could you just put a heavier spring on the gas pedal? I'd try that, and then spend every waking hour learning to drive it.

    Leave a comment:


  • 5Toes
    replied
    I got it!!!

    I take like a cb125 master cylinder. But add a brake booster of its own for it!!!

    Then it would be bitchin!

    Leave a comment:


  • 5Toes
    replied
    I see what you are saying. I think it would be fairly bulletproof, nothing electronic, etc. involved.

    But ya it would be done quality.

    Leave a comment:


  • devon.818
    replied
    Originally posted by 5Toes
    I dont really see how it could fail. It would all be welded up with strong welds, it wont be plastic.
    anything can fail, a hydraulic line could rupture and bam! failure.

    its like saying your brakes fail because the brake booster rusted out or something.
    anything is possible, and when it comes to insurance companies they dont like payin gout! so w/e you do, DO NOT halfass it, make sure it is not only up to your standards, but have a few local shops check it out and/or people who know their shit. think about if you would trust the system if it was on a car driving next to you. also think about what "could" fail. doesn't matter how unlikely it is, it still can fail.

    just some food for thought.

    Leave a comment:


  • 5Toes
    replied
    Originally posted by KenC
    I'd be afraid of setting yourself up for a potential lawsuit if/when your "modified" pedal box fails and you hit somebody/something. I don't think your insurance carrier will be too keen on the idea.
    I dont really see how it could fail. It would all be welded up with strong welds, it wont be plastic.

    Leave a comment:


  • 5Toes
    replied
    And patent the shit and make a bundle

    Leave a comment:


  • 5Toes
    replied
    If people want to help me make it, because I dont have the materials to do so...

    LETS DO THIS

    Leave a comment:


  • 5Toes
    replied
    Originally posted by devon.818
    props to you 5toes!

    ima share something real quick, i got in a motorcycle accident in september, fucked up my ankle bad, took 6 months before i could walk normally, currently learning how to run.
    anyway my parents were conserned about me getting a car, worried i wouldn't be able to brake and shit. i proved them wrong, but i did get an auto because i wasn't fully healed yet. im selling mine to get a 5sp. now.
    my doctors told me i wont be able to join the marines like i planned on, well we'll see in two more years, but i plan to flip the bird to everyone in the future if MEPS clears me.

    is the auto fun? yes, i adjusted the kickdown and the way it shifts at redline WOT is actually hard and feels like a real shift.

    dude, i say if it works do it, im sure there are others in your situation that will thankyou for your persistance.

    GL man, you know we're all rooting for ya
    Thanks. Props to you too man!

    Originally posted by kronus
    Two possibilities:

    - steering-column-mounted clutch paddles. This was actually pretty common in government-issued cars in Russia when I was there, my grandfather had one. Paddles are behind steering wheel, pull back to disengage clutch from pressure plate.

    - kart shifter. Looking around, this seems to be another common solution.
    THe clutch paddles behind the wheel are good idea, but for spirited driving and autoxing it would be a major PIA I think

    Yeah but how do you make the kart shifter work? I think its the best idea too, just not my favorite. I would need some people to majorly help me out in making it.

    The motorcycle MC cant bolt right up, I think its too weak.

    Though I could use the M/C MC to power the stock E30 MC. This way it might even be easier to power?



    So where the piston moves back and forth, put that in a hydraulic line or something so the pressure form M/C MC will make it work.

    Leave a comment:


  • Holland
    replied
    Honestly, the cart shifter looks to be the best idea, not to mention extremely convenient.

    Leave a comment:


  • kronus
    replied
    Two possibilities:

    - steering-column-mounted clutch paddles. This was actually pretty common in government-issued cars in Russia when I was there, my grandfather had one. Paddles are behind steering wheel, pull back to disengage clutch from pressure plate.

    - kart shifter. Looking around, this seems to be another common solution.

    Leave a comment:


  • devon.818
    replied
    props to you 5toes!

    ima share something real quick, i got in a motorcycle accident in september, fucked up my ankle bad, took 6 months before i could walk normally, currently learning how to run.
    anyway my parents were conserned about me getting a car, worried i wouldn't be able to brake and shit. i proved them wrong, but i did get an auto because i wasn't fully healed yet. im selling mine to get a 5sp. now.
    my doctors told me i wont be able to join the marines like i planned on, well we'll see in two more years, but i plan to flip the bird to everyone in the future if MEPS clears me.

    is the auto fun? yes, i adjusted the kickdown and the way it shifts at redline WOT is actually hard and feels like a real shift.

    dude, i say if it works do it, im sure there are others in your situation that will thankyou for your persistance.

    GL man, you know we're all rooting for ya

    Leave a comment:


  • KenC
    replied
    I'd be afraid of setting yourself up for a potential lawsuit if/when your "modified" pedal box fails and you hit somebody/something. I don't think your insurance carrier will be too keen on the idea.

    Leave a comment:


  • AbsorbantNut
    replied
    Originally posted by 5Toes
    I think I should deserve this "priveledge". Im an excellent student, and if they knew how much kids my age get drunk and smoke weed nowadays they be amazed, and IM not part of that. Never been drunk, never been high.
    I'm sure most people ARE aware of our generations...misdoings:p

    But if you're seriously set on getting an e30, why not start off with an auto and work your way through it and weed out the problems, and then try to install this different pedal set up. I mean a lot of people have fun with their "slushboxes". I've got one of both, and sometimes in bad traffic it's nice to not have to ride the clutch all the time. See if you really like e30s first though. You can't really tell through looking at some website.

    Leave a comment:


  • 5Toes
    replied
    Oh trust me. Im out there doing all the stuff everybody else does. I have ALMOSt gotten up on waterskis with just one ski. I can kneeboard.

    I wear shorts proud, I riase my eyebrows to the stares.

    Well maybe the feeling is mutual, but I think I should deserve this "priveledge". Im an excellent student, and if they knew how much kids my age get drunk and smoke weed nowadays they be amazed, and IM not part of that. Never been drunk, never been high.

    And with the on/off thing, thats what Im saying, I DONT NEED to be able to feel every little thing. I will feel the major vibrations, but it is simply push it in to the engage point, let out slower.

    Leave a comment:

Working...