E30 axle tramp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 axle tramp

My e30 gets bad axle tramp when wheel spinning in either dry or wet surfaces and i havnt found any difinitive information to cure the problem.

I'll be stripping the rear suspension soon and want to rebuild the whole thing, what do you guys recommend using to avoid axle tramp?

Cheers
    They call me the frog

- E30 Alpina C2 2.7
    - E30 Alpina C2 2.5
    - E28 M 528I 3.5 (300HP)
    - E36 M3 S50 3.2 (Euro)

I think you are talking about what the U.S. calls wheel hop. If it is stiffer, you will get less hop, but the car will spin easier. I currently have the problem that my rear axle is popping and making a ton of noise only when I am leaving form a stop--- cant figure it out!!!!

Comment

It's an E30. What suspension are you running?
      2017 Chevrolet SS, 6MT
      95 M3/2/5 (S54 and Mk60 DSC, CARB legal, Build Thread)
      98 M3/4/5 (stock)

Comment

swap a c4 corvette rear suspension and axle?
        AWD > RWD

Comment

Install stiffer shock absorbers. Problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeP View Post

not nessasarily...
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JakeP View Post
              I was thinking either this or stiffer spring rates.
              Current: 1988 M3 - Henna/Black black alcantara

Guten Parts + Service
              ... When you care enough to only give the very best.

Previous:
              '87 S50 MTech 1 325is
              '07 DTM Audi S4
              '03 VF Supercharged M3
              '03 Lexus IS300 (615rwhp/512rwtq)

Comment

Well, there's no leaf spring to get axle wrap. Stiffer springs will just increase the harmonic frequency of the oscillations. To reduce the magnitude of the oscillations you must provide a stiffer harmonic dampener. (shock absorber)

Comment

stiffer subframe, diff and trailing arm bushings should help you quite a bit as well as a better tire compound. the issue isn't that complicated to fix, but you may have to play with spring rates & shock compression pending how much power you are putting out. you should probably inspect your half shaft joints for play as well. if your bushings are bad enough to create that much wheel hop consistently, your axles will be taking a beating everytime it occurs.

Originally posted by Ryan...
                  It now emits a beautiful blue-ish yellow/green smoke from the exhaust?? No idea what would cause that color, but I assume its good.

Comment

I know this is a super old thread, but I thought I would add my experience in case it helps anyone avoid the same mistake. I was having bad wheel hop, especially on wet roads and tried many things to fix the issue, the first being new shocks. I also tried new subframe and control arm bushings, new shock mounts, a different set of shocks, tire rotation, new axles, camber and toe settings etc. Nothing fixed the problem and nothing seemed to even modulate the issue in a meaningful way. After all that it turned out I had just installed the shocks incorrectly, or more accurately, the previous owner had, and then I proceeded to repeat their mistake several times. You need a thrust washer on both sides of the top shock mount! Don't be like me ;-)
                    Last edited by Uber02; 04-02-2020, 05:43 PM. Reason: Can't spell

Comment

Wow, that's some thread necromancy. 650lb/in springs, UHMW PE bushings, upgraded shock mounts, koni single adjustables, still have wheelhop if I dump the clutch. So I don't.

IG @turbovarg
                      '91 318is, M20 turbo
                      [CoTM: 4-18]
                      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                      - updated 1-26

Comment

Working...
                      X