E30 Insurance - What type do you have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 Insurance - What type do you have?

So after years of just lurking, I finally bit the bullet and bought myself an e30.
    1991 Alpine 318i sedan
    Mileage is unknown but to the best of my ability, it's pushing close to 350k on the body. It's been a Texas car all it's life so very minimal rust on the underside of the car. Nothing major.
    Interior needs some TLC due to the OP or OOP or OOOP (many many owners in the past) decided to dye the factory leather..

Anyways, first things first. I am super excited I finally got it and look forward to years of enjoyment and head-to-wall banging with this sexy German jalopy.

Now to the real question of my post..

What type of automobile insurance do you carry? My intuition is telling me that for a car this old, "Liability-only" is the most logical and economical route to go assuming you are not an asshat on the road who get into accidents every other day. Also, GEICO is charging $350/6 months for my "Liability-only" premium. Does that sound about right? I know insurance varies vastly upon the individual driving history, insurance company, location, etc... but just as a rough guesstimate, do you thing $350/6 month policy seems about right? Honestly, for a car this old, I was hoping to pay something like $20-$30/month...

welcome fellow houston member. if you need parts, give me a holler.

i carry full coverage on my mtech2 cabrio through 21st century. it costs about 700.00 a year or a little less. the cheapest insurance would be through one of the classic insurance companies like haggerty, but you would need to park it in a locked garage when not used, never drive it to work, drive less than 3000 miles a year, have another car for a daily driver, etc. that would be the only way you could get your insurance down to the 20-30 month range.

there are lots of threads in this section about insurance. do a search in the general section for "insurance" and you will get a wealth of info there.

if your 91 318 has its original interior, it would be vinyl instead of leather.

good luck with your car. if you need anything, let me know
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

full coverage with USAA - $48 a month.
      1988 325 "super ETA" - Hilde - M52B28 swapped...
      1969 2002 - Griselda - 20VT AWP swap and full resto in progress...

sigpic

project blog - http://www.cynicalmotorsport.blogspot.com/

Comment

don't you have to me a vet to get usaa insurance?
        sigpic
        Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
        92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
        88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
        88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
        87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
        12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

geico sucks

I have ameriprise, through costco. excellent service and not gouge-your-eyes out expensive either.

right now I pay about $700 a year for two cars. The E30 is liability only at the moment but our other car has full coverage.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

USAA with full coverage. Not taking any risks on a classic.
            1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
            2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
            2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Comment

Classic Auto Ins. like Hagerty. I pay less then $300 a year for full coverage :)..... but you cant drive over 10k miles a year

Comment

I live in ohio and currently have state farm. I only have liability at the moment and its about 15 bucks a month. I had geico a few months ago and i cant remember the numbers but i know it was substantially more and I had been with geico for years with no accidents or tickets. State Farm FTW!!!

Comment

I have liability only, until I get it all nice and fixed up and become a summer DD.:) (it is a vert)

Comment

My E30 currently has high liability limits and collision coverage through Progressive. I pay $19.50 a month for it. My E34 has full coverage and liability, I also have renters grouped into my policy so all the discounts I get I pay barely $60 a month for all of it.
                    91 318is M50 swapped
                    05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Originally posted by dustyperez View Post
                      I live in ohio and currently have state farm. I only have liability at the moment and its about 15 bucks a month. I had geico a few months ago and i cant remember the numbers but i know it was substantially more and I had been with geico for years with no accidents or tickets. State Farm FTW!!!
                      QFT!

I pay $14 a month for liability.
                      Haven't you ever seen Russian Nesting Dolls? They work like that.

1987 325e / 2008 135i

Comment

I've been looking into new insurance as well. I'm really regretting all those speed tickets now....

Comment

This is some bullshit, up here insurance rates are $130/month if you live out side of the bigger cities, and $300/month if you live in the bigger cities.
                          Your resource to do-it-yourself and interesting bmw and e30 stuff: www.rtsauto.com

Your resource to tools and tips: www.rtstools.com

Comment

I think I pay about 350 for liability on my 3 cars. My 95 e36, my 95 e34 touring, and my 88 e30. I get discounts because there are no accidents on my record and no points on tickets. ALso, because I am a marriage family therapist, I get a discount, HAHA - thats funny to me!

If anything, I should get fll coverage on the e36; but I dont drive it very much. The e34 is worth liability since it is a $3k car, and the e30 is swapped; so I dont think insurance wil fully cover what I have put into it. I guess I have to just be lucky with that one.

Comment

Originally posted by 89AlpineM3 View Post
                              Classic Auto Ins. like Hagerty. I pay less then $300 a year for full coverage :)..... but you cant drive over 10k miles a year

^^ this, especially if the E30 is a second car. Hagerty will also want it stored in a garage. But I pay ~$300/yr for full coverage with an agreed value of $10k on the car.

Comment

Working...
                              X