No announcement yet.

school me on 1 Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've known both good and bad dealer experiences with techs, sorry you had a bad one.

That aside I am hesistant as well regarding "new" BMW's stuff...I think from here on if I were to go new it'd be a new lease and let them have the pile of electronic rubble after I'm done flogging it. Why? Because of your horror story above. BMW and I would surmise most other manufacturer's these days only build a car to last the length of the warranty.

Honestly I feel the newest I'd go and feel comfortable wrenching would be the E46/E38/E39 generation. Maybe an E60 but definitely nothing with a N-series engine involved...

Comment

Yeah i looked into it when i had an engine malfunction light. My spark plugs were shot and would miss-fire upon start up. New plugs, no problem. I know a set of injectors are about $1200. I have the INPA software so i can code them myself in my garage. I guess for me i can do almost everything i would need in my garage but for others it gets expensive taking it to the dealer.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mcr_driver View Post
        That aside I am hesistant as well regarding "new" BMW's stuff...I think from here on if I were to go new it'd be a new lease and let them have the pile of electronic rubble after I'm done flogging it. Why? Because of your horror story above. BMW and I would surmise most other manufacturer's these days only build a car to last the length of the warranty.

Honestly I feel the newest I'd go and feel comfortable wrenching would be the E46/E38/E39 generation. Maybe an E60 but definitely nothing with a N-series engine involved...
        I 100% agree on the lease thing. Drive it until 49,999 miles, then it's their problem.

And you're right, the early 2000 cars are a bit less complicated. An m54 vs n54 is a much different beast

Originally posted by RGCintha29073 View Post
        Yeah i looked into it when i had an engine malfunction light. My spark plugs were shot and would miss-fire upon start up. New plugs, no problem. I know a set of injectors are about $1200. I have the INPA software so i can code them myself in my garage. I guess for me i can do almost everything i would need in my garage but for others it gets expensive taking it to the dealer.
        In your case it sounds like it's not so much of an issue. If you have the equipment and feel comfortable doing you the work yourself it might not be such a bad deal. Parts are still expensive in comparison to a lot of other cars though. I also know that the price of parts will eventually go down. Example- a transfer case for my car is about half the price of when I bought one a few years ago. Not a problem if you're after a 1er though..

Comment

Working...
        X