X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ether-D View Post
    And to the OP: You took it well.
    Hee. Thanks.

I tend to be pretty experimental with most things I do, so I'm used to people thinking my ideas are nuts.

Hell, most people I know think me getting an e30 in the first place was a bad idea :)

I also totally buy into the idea that there are no 'stupid questions'. This is how innovation and progress happens.

Anyway, I'm a big boy with a thick skin, so I can take it. However, if someone starts giving me a hard time about something without actual evidence or a decently logical argument, I'm going to call them on it.

Like the folks that say that I wouldn't be able to peel the dip off without damaging the dash. Nobody in this has provided any evidence of this being the case.

If I ever get ahold of a sample dash, I'm going to do some controlled experiments just to satisfy my own curiosity on the matter.

The folks who said that it would almost impossible to get a good finish with the dash in the car; they provided some evidence of that being the case (spray angles, etc.) or a decent argument or opinion (I think plasti-dip will look dumb).

The best reason anyone has given me to not pursue this further:

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
    Whats the point of having a minty dash if you can't see the dash?
    As to the whole 'hazing' thing -- whatever. It's not a good way to maintain a healthy online community, but if it makes you feel better about yourself -- go for it.

Thanks again to all who provided helpful answers. It is truly appreciated, and I hope I'll be able to return the favor someday.

Comment

Originally posted by Ether-D View Post
      Not at all ironic. I won't start a fight, but I'll finish one.
      I have no idea what you are crying about.
      -OP came into this thread with a some what funny/half-assed concept of fixing dash.
      -OP agrees it was foolish
      -You are the only one upset in this thread.

It all adds up perfectly.
      2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
      (Daily Driver)
      Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
      KW V2 Coilovers
      VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

Originally posted by Jand3rson View Post
        No, it's actually not like that at all.

Vinyl filler won't match the texture of the rest of the dash, and use all the dye you want, matching the color exactly is impossible.
        Meh, vinyl filler + gravel guard then dye the whole dash.

Founder @ Maintenr. Take control of your vehicle maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by codyep3 View Post
          I have no idea what you are crying about.
          -OP came into this thread with a some what funny/half-assed concept of fixing dash.
          -OP agrees it was foolish
          -You are the only one upset in this thread.

It all adds up perfectly.
          I'm just upset in general...:hitler:
          Originally posted by Andy.B
          Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
          1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
          ~~~~~~~~~~
          I was born on 3/25…
          ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

The reason why dashes crack is because as the vinyl gets older, it becomes more stiff and brittle. When it heats up or cools down, it can't flex/stretch as well and cracks. Covering the dash won't do much to help this. It will block uv, but there is still a good chance it will crack just from the heat/cold.

Comment

UV accelerates the degradation of the vinyl though, so covering the dash with a sunshade definitely helps. although, I don't think .5mm of rubber is going to do much to stop UV radiation.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
                The reason why dashes crack is because as the vinyl gets older, it becomes more stiff and brittle. When it heats up or cools down, it can't flex/stretch as well and cracks. Covering the dash won't do much to help this. It will block uv, but there is still a good chance it will crack just from the heat/cold.

This. Best to just keep the dash moisturized and throw a towel on it if you park in the sun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
                DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Working...
                X