No announcement yet.

M60 vs Boosted M42

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Along with everything else that has been stated, consider the weight differences. I don't know how much the M60 weighs, but I would think a boosted M42 would still weigh less, and anyone who has driven an M42 car knows how much of a difference that makes.
    Different strokes for different folks.

Comment

N52 swap. probably lighter than the M42 boat anchor and nearly twice the power. :p
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

If you check the Euro forums, a few guys have built turbo M42/M44 blocks using a mix-and-match of parts. Crank from an M47 diesel engine (can't remember which displacement). Rods were Euro S50B30 or B32 (again, I can't remember the details). Pistons were custom, but that's not a big deal with only 4-cylinders. You end up with a 2.0 liter block with forged internals and relatively low compression. It somehow mates up to the 6-speed transmission from an E46 330ci or M3.

You should be able to find the info without too much trouble.
        Last edited by Emre; 10-06-2014, 05:52 AM. Reason: Corrected wrong info
        sigpic
        1987 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16: Vintage Racer
        2010 BMW (E90) 335xi sedan: Grocery Getter

Comment

I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but consider the weight. Anyone who has driven an M42 car knows that low weight up front makes an enormous difference when driving.

M60 weight: 463 lbs (http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=233682)
          M42 Weight: 220 lbs (http://www.bimmerforums.com/?p=70)

Even after deleting other components with the M60 swap, and adding turbo components with the M42 build, I think you will still have considerable weight savings up front.
          Different strokes for different folks.

Comment

Originally posted by SkiFree View Post
            Reliability of an NA V8 or a high strung boosted 4? Give me NA torque curve any day (and on that note, seriously look into the M30 option).
            Thank you everyone for your honest responses. I initially wanted to save and do an l33/lq9 swap but I realized that as far as stock engines go an m60 makes nearly the power and can be done cheaper; correct me if I'm wrong. I do agree that a boost curve could be more fun but I absolutely love tourqe. The purpose of this car will be general foolishness and drifting. I've heard of many people falling in love with their m30 swapped cars but I'm worried it doesn't make enough power for the money.
            1991 318i Sedan

Comment

Originally posted by MokinWeet View Post
              I do agree that a boost curve could be more fun but I absolutely love tourqe.
              Turbo engines are a lot of fun, as long as you can keep them cool and know how to tune them...or pay someone who does!

When I had my Evo VIII (in my sig), we were putting down 350 hp and 350 lbs-ft at the wheels with a 2.0 liter turbo. Driveability was great because we had a very quick-spooling turbo that made full boost between 2500 and 3000 rpm and held it all the way to the 7500 rpm redline. With such a big and flat torque curve, we made power everywhere. We used an A'PEXi AVC-R boost controller, which allowed us to program a separate boost curve for all 5 gears. Lots of dyno time to get it all working.

You'll have to spend a lot of time and money programming the ECU and boost controller, which makes an M44 engine appealing (already OBD-II). With something like a MoTeC M800, you can even program launch control and anti-lag functions.

If you're willing to go whole-hog, you can build a real monster that's still reliable under track conditions. But it won't be cheaper than a V8 swap.
              sigpic
              1987 Mercedes 190E 2.3-16: Vintage Racer
              2010 BMW (E90) 335xi sedan: Grocery Getter

Comment

Diesel.

M57 or go home.
                1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

I chose the boosted m42 route. Although I am not shooting for as much power as you are. My car has near instant boost and a nice flat torque band. It stays right with lightly modded 335i e90 cars on highway pulls.

M42 turbo build.
                  http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=301330

Comment

Power/weight ratio > power

Sent from my SGH-T769
                    Wheelwell

Shadowline Motorsport: LED & 3D Printed Accessories - 10% off for new customers!
                    LED Bulb Thread
                    R6 LED Review

Comment

Originally posted by djmossm42 View Post

Sent from my SGH-T769
                      Agreed. But I will say that me and my dad were talking about cramming the engine as far back as we could, possibly even cutting out and moving back the firewall a little like we did in my brothers old dirt four cyl race car in order to center the added weight.

I probably should've ranked my priorities in an attempt to fit my needs better

1. Cost
                      2. Reliability
                      3. Linear curve/weight
                      4. V8
                      1991 318i Sedan

Comment

boosted m42 crew checking in

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
                        Ig:ryno_pzk
                        I like the tuna here.
                        Originally posted by lambo
                        Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Agreed. But I will say that me and my dad were talking about cramming the engine as far back as we could, possibly even cutting out and moving back the firewall a little like we did in my brothers old dirt four cyl race car in order to center the added weight.

I probably should've ranked my priorities in an attempt to fit my needs better

1. Cost
                          2. Reliability
                          3. Linear curve/weight
                          4. V8
                          True, distributing the weight is just as important and moving the motor back will help keep the balance plus the V8 will provide a high power to weight ratio.

Really you can do anything just depends on your budget, time, and know-how.

Boost would require the least of all three. Depending on engine prep/upgrades it is possible to get a considerable amount of power from the m42. If you've had the car for a while you should know what it needs and how reliable it is.

Engine swap requires time to find a good donor and there still may be unknowns. So, you still might want to do a teardown to inspect the internals. Depending on the motor and/or it's placement you may need custom parts and fabrication.

Maybe start with the spec goals you want to achieve then price out the cost to reach them via boost and via swap.

Sent from my SGH-T769
                          Last edited by djmossm42; 10-06-2014, 11:45 AM.
                          Wheelwell

Shadowline Motorsport: LED & 3D Printed Accessories - 10% off for new customers!
                          LED Bulb Thread
                          R6 LED Review

Comment

Thank you everyone for your honest responses. I initially wanted to save and do an l33/lq9 swap but I realized that as far as stock engines go an m60 makes nearly the power and can be done cheaper; correct me if I'm wrong. I do agree that a boost curve could be more fun but I absolutely love tourqe. The purpose of this car will be general foolishness and drifting. I've heard of many people falling in love with their m30 swapped cars but I'm worried it doesn't make enough power for the money.
                            False. You can make a nasty m42 frakenmotor for less than an m60. Don't forget, alusil blocks aren't serviceable without spending big coin.

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
                            Diesel.

M57 or go home.
                            THIS! PLEASE THIS!

Originally posted by djmossm42 View Post
                            for drifting and hoonage, you'll have more fun with a turbo imo. M60's aren't what people make them out to be. Go drive an e34 with a manual and m60. An e30 wouldn't be that much quicker. You're looking at 280hp at the crank.

Comment

I voted M60 but only because LS*/T56, or Ford 302/T5 weren't in the poll.

Comment

Really starting to lean towards boost. The only thing that worries me is the tuning.
                                1991 318i Sedan

Comment

Working...
                                X