Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever sell your E30 for an E46 M3? Are you happy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever sell your E30 for an E46 M3? Are you happy?

Hey gents, I was just looking to see who has sold their e30 in pursuit of another car, and how you ended up feeling about your decision!
    I have an m50 turbo 89 325is and I am thinking of getting rid of it this summer in favor of an e46 m3, but was just curious if anyone here has done the same thing. If you have, would you say it was worth it? Or did you regret getting rid of the e30 because the e46 was not as much fun.
    Thanks!

I'm still trying to decide what to buy if I ever sold one of my e30's! I never really realized it but I don't like many of BMW's body styles except the e30. I change my mind every day, e34 M5, e46 ZHP, BMW 2002. Can't seem to love any chassis besides the e30.

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
    1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
    1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
    1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
    1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
    1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
    Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
    1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
    1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

when I was offering my e30 for sale a while back, I had a few interested ppl with newer e46's (m3's included) asking if I wanted to trade. Obviously with a bit of cash on my end, but overall, I knew I wouldn't be happy with a never BMW.

IMHO If you are only using the e30 for a project/fun car, keep it. If you want it as a dd that you also want to be "comfier" with more recent technology, I'd suggest getting a newer car (BMW included).
      If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

i do look at e46 m3's on occasion. sometimes i even consider buying one. does that count?
        sigpic
        Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
        92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
        88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
        88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
        87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
        12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Almost weekly I contemplate an E46 M3 or E39 M5 as I do DD my E30, but have never gone so far as to list my car for sale. I do however get notes almost monthly on my car asking to sell....

Comment

My girlfriend owns and e46 m3 and I drive it all the time. The e46 m3 is a hell of a car. The lines on the body are so sexy and perfect. The engine is beautiful. The whole car is great. But I still smile every time I get in my e30. But you would be very happy with either car.

Comment

They're great machines, but E46 M3s have no soul. As with any M car, you'll want to keep a few thousand in the reserves for when they break. Preventive maintenance alone is high, not to mention well documented issues with the VANOS, (cracking) subframes and cylinder sleeves.
              Originally posted by kronus
              would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
                They're great machines, but E46 M3s have no soul. As with any M car, you'll want to keep a few thousand in the reserves for when they break. Preventive maintenance alone is high, not to mention well documented issues with the VANOS, (cracking) subframes and cylinder sleeves.
                No soul? That's a big reach even for r3vlimited.

OP: It depends on what you want. I went E30 --> E36m3 --> E46m3 and like them all for their various differences. The E46 is comfortable, quick and a great DD if you can afford the maintenance and fuel bill. E30's are fun in a different way while E36's are the cheapest track rat you can buy right now with E30's rising in price.

That said, I have all 3 right now :)

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

Originally posted by Axxe View Post
                  No soul? That's a big reach even for r3vlimited.
                  Okay, how about "No E46 M3 I've ever been in had a soul."

Better? ;)

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
                    As with any M car, you'll want to keep a few thousand in the reserves for when they break. Preventive maintenance alone is high,
                    Honestly, how is that any different than with an E30 M3? At least in the case of the E46 he can still get parts for the motor.
                    Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
                    '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
                    FYYFF

Comment

Daily drive an E46 (M or non-M; whatever fits your bill) and keep the E30 for fun/weekends. I did that and it makes me appreciate both cars. Granted my E30 is boosted and much quicker than the E46, it certainly doesn't have the creature comforts as the E46. I say have both if that is financially feasible, otherwise just daily the E30 until you're able to have both cars. Lol Just my two cents.
                      1989 325i - 2.7i, Holset H1C, 60lb injectors, whodwho MS-PNP.
                      2012 Passat TDI - DD Duty
                      2008 GMC Yukon XL Denali - Kiddie hauler/grocery getter

Comment

Originally posted by redsubdivisions View Post
                        Daily drive an E46 (M or non-M; whatever fits your bill) and keep the E30 for fun/weekends. I did that and it makes me appreciate both cars. Granted my E30 is boosted and much quicker than the E46, it certainly doesn't have the creature comforts as the E46. I say have both if that is financially feasible, otherwise just daily the E30 until you're able to have both cars. Lol Just my two cents.
                        This x1000. They are both great at doing what they do. E30 for fun and E46 for comfort. Best of both worlds!

FREE BITCOINS!! http://qoinpro.com/71690d1639966bfbf223bf16538cec21
                        Originally posted by scabzzzz
                        I stand up, pull my dick out, and asked my gf to give me some noggin... Well, she starts laughing at me and I freaked out and ran off and locked myself in a bedroom.
                        1989 325i - Project/weekend driver
                        2002 325i - DD
                        2005 Suzuki SV650 - Toy

Comment

the e46 m3 is a car I will own at some point in my life, but that's one of the few newer bmw's I would buy. I used to dd a 2003 330xi for the last year and had to sell it because I couldn't stant the constant stupid little problems every week. Either way I don't think I could sell the e30 for one but have both and now were taking
                          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
                            Honestly, how is that any different than with an E30 M3? At least in the case of the E46 he can still get parts for the motor.
                            It's not, but unless I missed something an E30 M3 wasn't part of the conversation...?

Comment

I strongly considered doing exactly this until late last year. I test drove a couple of E46 M3s, one bone stock and one with intake, exhaust and software. I absolutely loved the M3...but I didn't pull the trigger. For me it came down to money, though and your situation may be different. I was going to pay an extra $1K= per year for the insurance on the car, tires were way more expensive (as is EVERY M part on that car), etc. The other factor was that honestly the car wasn't very fun unless you were pushing it. And that gets you to go-directly-to-jail speeds pretty quickly. My E30s are fun at lower velocity! I don't know if the car has the 'soul' of an E30, but it is a darn fine car in it's own right. I WILL own one someday.
                              Originally posted by LJ851
                              kingston is the play by play announcer for this thread.
                              ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

Originally posted by unloadedak
                              #teamross
                              Siobhan's Build Thread - UPDATED!

Comment

Working...
                              X