Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Be realistic: What IS a car that is a good replacement for a E30?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+2^ They are alright cars, Just don't want one my self. The fun wouldn't last long compared to how much you could enjoy your e30

Comment

I've been thinking again about this recently with E30 prices rising and all.

The obvious choice for an E30 successor is an E36 M3, but for some reason it doesn't feel right. On the other hand, I find myself scouting JDM auction sites for FD RX7's for no particular reason, and I'm starting to think it could be it.

It's got enough quirkiness and differences to not feel like "More of the same" but is still light, RWD, LSD, manual, quick, and sexy in its own way (also, boost).

Alternatively (cost aside): BRZ/FRS... But the more of them I see around, the less I like them. They also apparently haven't depreciated much (around here at least, I see people asking new prices for used cars...) and the more expensive the car is, the less inclined I am to tinker with it.

I could consider a miata, if I didn't think convertibles were stupid.

Considering the only real issue I have with e30's is price, I can't exactly suggest more expensive cars, so that helps me rule out a lot of other potential options.
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

i like e36 M3s, but if i was going for a newer car than the e30, i would pick up an M-coupe over the e36M. i cant get into the brz/frs. every freakin boy band wanna be ricer with mom and dads money has one in northern virginia. its like the sti crowd jumped ship. every time i think about one, some guy with stupid camber and a fart can is driving one around here.
        '87 BMW 325i - ground control c/o, condor bushings, 16x8/16x9 wheels - SOLD

'09 MazdaSpeed 3 - FOR SALE

Comment

If I were going to pay M coupe money for something, I would probably jump to some sort of N54 car (and eventually pay dearly for some issue lol)
          Originally posted by priapism
          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
          Originally posted by shameson
          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by ahrensNW View Post
            ^agreed. SRT4's are white trash hot rods.
            Just like BMWs are for arrogant yuppies that don't know how to use turn signals.

I grew up around Mopars, the SRT4 was an aspirational car for me for a long time, can just now finally afford one. Always wanted something with power like that.

Guess I'm white trash....

No forced induction E30 for me with CA smog and commuting 80 miles a day in it.

I would never consider a Volvo 240 or similar unless I was going to put an LS1 in it, which I can't do legally where I live. My buddy had a Volvo 240 turbo DD and it was an absolute nightmare, always broke and hard to get parts for.
            sigpic
            1991 325i Sport - Calypsorot Metallic - DAILY DRIVEN

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
              If I were going to pay M coupe money for something, I would probably jump to some sort of N54 car (and eventually pay dearly for some issue lol)
              the extra money for the m-coupe is worth it to not have n54 issues lol.
              '87 BMW 325i - ground control c/o, condor bushings, 16x8/16x9 wheels - SOLD

'09 MazdaSpeed 3 - FOR SALE

Comment

well documented 99 m3 5 speed

A few deals still out there to be had but even these cars are starting to climb.

Comment

I personally would go completely 180 and get some so different that it's a completely new experience. For example I would get a Jeep Wrangler JK. I used to own a 2013 Wrx and that car was a blast to drive. Tons of power straight from the factory, excellent in the corners, and a blast in the winter. I ended up trading it in for a 2014 Wrangler and have yet to regret the decision. Doors and top off in the summer is one of the best driving experiences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@e30vt

Comment

Originally posted by Javier h View Post
                    A few deals still out there to be had but even these cars are starting to climb.
                    The recent video about them isn't going to help...

IG @turbovarg
                    '91 318is, M20 turbo
                    [CoTM: 4-18]
                    '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                    - updated 3-17

Comment

Working...
                    X