Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this damage fixable? Is the car totaled?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this damage fixable? Is the car totaled?

Driving home from work exiting the highway to get onto another highway. Traffic was stopped to my left. Someone pulled out of the stopped traffic and cut off the guy in front of me, he slammed his brakes and didn't hit the guy in front of him, but I wasn't so lucky. Managed to swerve to the right and clipped the front left corner into the back right of his bumper. He drove away with a cracked bumper and bent exhaust.

What are the thoughts here? Clearly the fender is gone, front quarter panel, bumper, valence, radiator/core support,the hood, and that control arm is twisted. I didn't get much time to look at it closely... got it towed to my place and hopped in the e36 to salvage as much of my evening as I could.

Totaled
    23.08%
    Frame damage, but fixable
    38.46%
    Fixable
    38.46%
    '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
    Shadetree30

Wow. Socal has been hard on e30s this week. Good luck fixing it!

-NICK

Comment

Dam sorry bro.:(:(:(
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

Originally posted by Balleristic31 View Post
        Wow. Socal has been hard on e30s this week. Good luck fixing it!
        yea, broke my heart when I saw simon's....

Well, that's what I need to figure out, can this even be fixed?
        Shadetree30

Comment

what did we do to deserve this
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

What the hell is going on with the influx of E30s getting boned recently? Does the universe just hate us?
            "Leafeon" '92 Lagunengrun 325i Vert (Daily Driver/Project)
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=366044
            The stickers make it go faster. :nice:

Comment

If you can get the hood open and snap a pic of the frame rail, might be helpful in assessing if it's fixable/screwed.
              1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
              2016 Ford Flex
              2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                what did we do to deserve this
                I was thinking the same. It's not right.
                Originally posted by UlrichFennec View Post
                What the hell is going on with the influx of E30s getting boned recently? Does the universe just hate us?
                I don't know.
                Shadetree30

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                  If you can get the hood open and snap a pic of the frame rail, might be helpful in assessing if it's fixable/screwed.
                  I'll be doing that as soon as I get home. I couldn't open it yesterday. Might need a bit of angle grinder action.

Already ordered a replacement control arm (I'll get that this afternoon), so at least I can pull all the damaged body parts off and still shuffle/move the car around my place. It runs fine.
                  Shadetree30

Comment

totaled in insurance perspective but fixable and requires serious amount of money.

Esquire E30 Build (87 325i Vert)
                    Ultimate Tanning Machine

Comment

I'd be happy the guy didn't stop. Did you a favor and saved a headache.
                      No E30 Club
                      Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                      Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Looks like it missed the frame rail to me. other than the control arm all of that is non-structural. The most expensive part of that repair will be paint, the parts aren't too bad and I'm assuming you'll DIY most of it.

were those original hellas, or replicas/aftermarket?
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by aegul44 View Post
                          totaled in insurance perspective but fixable and requires serious amount of money.
                          It won't go through insurance. My dumbass didn't get this car fully insured yet, and fault was "mine"
                          Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
                          I'd be happy the guy didn't stop. Did you a favor and saved a headache.
                          Well, I meant he drove off after we traded all insurance information etc. Though, his insurance card was expired and he kept asking me for cash, or to settle it outside of insurance, so he might not actually have any. In which case none of this might go through insurance at all?
                          Shadetree30

Comment

Yea if his insurance is out of date, I wouldn't worry too much. Just see if you get a phone call.

Do you have liability at least? If not, get the lube.
                            No E30 Club
                            Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                            Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                              Looks like it missed the frame rail to me. other than the control arm all of that is non-structural. The most expensive part of that repair will be paint, the parts aren't too bad and I'm assuming you'll DIY most of it.

were those original hellas, or replicas/aftermarket?
                              Yes, from what I could see last night, it looked like it missed the rail. I'll DIY all of it, including paint - a close friend used to work at a body shop for a number of years :D

I might even pick up a cheap e30 with problems, take what I need and part the rest. Probably would come out on top too
                              Shadetree30

Comment

Working...
                              X