No announcement yet.

Do we have an MTech 1 Thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's what kronus says. you have to reach up behind the whole rig though to get it bolted up
    I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
    DB vert plastic bumpers
    OEM Keys
    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
    91 ic Calypso 3.1
    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
    TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
    e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
      First of all - your alpine coupe is absolute PERFECTION. Hope you come down to The Vintage so I'll get to see it :-)

Thanks for the comment re reusing the front euro bumper cap with the front spoiler. I think that's mentioned in the MT1 install instructions right? What about the rear caps? I have a vert so mine mount to the quarter and not the bumper. I assume they will work fine with my MT! rear apron.

also never knew there were 2 rear aprons, one for angled exhaust and one for straight. I of course have the angled version and am running a Strömung, so something has to give. I refuse to mod either so I'll probably move the cat back to my IX.
      Yes, trimming the front caps is mentioned in the instructions. I never did it because I had the MT1 front trim. I did trim one of the rear bumper caps. The fronts are just plastic, but the rears are rubber with a steel spine inside. I trimmed the rubber with box cutter, then used a grinding wheel to cut the steel. I sealed the exposed steel to prevent rust, and after installation, the end of the steel is hidden from view.

Look at post #28 in the following thread for a DIY on trimming the rear bumper MT1 caps:

I never installed MT1 on a vert, but I would think it would be the same as the coupe install. We test fit the rear bumper without the spoiler first to make sure everything lined up right, then removed it, installed the valance and installed as an assembly.

Comment

Originally posted by DJMCGARM3 View Post
        Look at post #28 in the following thread for a DIY on trimming the rear bumper MT1 caps:
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...=316762&page=2
        oh hell yes. great stuff and incredible pics. added your build thread to the mtech1 instructions post on this thread

I never installed MT1 on a vert, but I would think it would be the same as the coupe install. We test fit the rear bumper without the spoiler first to make sure everything lined up right, then removed it, installed the valance and installed as an assembly.
        vert rear euro bumper end caps bolt to the quarter panel. they're different from coupes - see my post here. I'll post up info when I trial fit my MT1 rear soon. vert rear end cap on right.

Last edited by bradnic; 09-02-2017, 10:50 AM.

HOWTOs:
        DB vert plastic bumpers
        OEM Keys
        MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
        91 ic Calypso 3.1
        86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Very interesting. Looking at the photo, it looks like the end cap is wider. It looks like it needs to make up a wider gap. I guess the rear quarter behind the wheel arch on a vert is about 1/2" longer than a coupe. I know that is true on late models because there are 2 plastic bumper parts between coupe and vert and the sides of the rear plastic vert bumpers are longer than the coupe bumpers.

Comment

Apparently the interior is just as spectacular...

build thread

Clearly COTM material here!!

HOWTOs:
            DB vert plastic bumpers
            OEM Keys
            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
            91 ic Calypso 3.1
            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Thanks! Hard to believe it has been 2 years since I finished this build. This car has actually been my daily driver ever since. I built it to replace an 87 325is that I drove in bone stock form as my dd for 22 years. The M3 and MT2 cabrio have more garage queen status. Other than my wife's cars, I have not driven anything but e30s since 1992. In the early years they were everywhere you looked, then for years I was just the guy who drove the old car, but now that they have reached classic status they are somehow cool again. For me it has always just been the character of the drive and great design.
              Last edited by DJMCGARM3; 03-24-2016, 03:58 PM.

Comment

I have some pics of it from GutenFest, it's a really nice e30. Great job on the build.
                AWD > RWD

Comment

Thanks! Hard to believe it has been 2 years since I finished this build. This car has actually been my daily driver ever since. I built it to replace an 87 325is that I drove in bone stock form as my dd for 22 years. The M3 and MT2 cabrio have more garage queen status. Other than my wife's cars, I have not driven anything but e30s since 1992. In the early years they were everywhere you looked, then for years I was just the guy who drove the old car, but now that they have reached classic status they are somehow cool again. For me it has always just been the character of the drive and great design.
                  Unbelievable. Wow, I am a super noob compared to you. I feel like an OG on the M3 forum because I have been driving e46M3's for like 10-12 years. lol That is nothing compared to your experience. It's nice having members like yourself with so much experience and willing to share it to the community. Kudos to you good sir.

Mr. Wolfe
                  sigpic

Comment

now that the interior and exterior are sorted, time for a built M20 methinks.

Highly tuned bmw m20 motor, running on ITBs. On the rollers at Emerald M3D Norfolk.The engine made 291bhp at one point, but timing was knocked back to a safe...
                    Last edited by bradnic; 09-02-2017, 09:57 AM.

HOWTOs:
                    DB vert plastic bumpers
                    OEM Keys
                    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                    91 ic Calypso 3.1
                    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

now that the interior and exterior are sorted, time for a built M20 methinks.
                      LOL, The engine has some mild upgrades already. The car had 112k on it when I bought it in 2014, about 116k now.

I had VAC rebuild the head along the lines of their stage 1 head. I'm running bosch 0280155771 injectors (17lb.) with a conforti chip. Not crazy power, but enough for my DD. One upgrade that really boosted the performance was the addition of a clutchmaster FX200 clutch with a JBR lightweight aluminum flywheel and a UUC short shift kit. Suspension is Bilstein Sports with H&R Sports and a Z3 rack.

I'm still running the exhaust that came on the car. New exhaust and cat is probably the only thing left on the to do list.

Last edited by DJMCGARM3; 03-25-2016, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Well done and great inspiration. Thanks for sharing this piece of art.
                        sigpic
                        84 323i

Comment

That looks nice. Looks good with chrome Bumpers. I'm going with painted bumpers
                          sigpic
                          323i MTEC1
                          Z3 coupe
                          E60 M5

Comment

LOL, The engine has some mild upgrades already. The car had 112k on it when I bought it in 2014, about 116k now.

I had VAC rebuild the head along the lines of their stage 1 head. I'm running bosch 0280155771 injectors (17lb.) with a conforti chip. Not crazy power, but enough for my DD. One upgrade that really boosted the performance was the addition of a clutchmaster FX200 clutch with a JBR lightweight aluminum flywheel and a UUC short shift kit. Suspension is Bilstein Sports with H&R Sports and a Z3 rack.

I'm still running the exhaust that came on the car. New exhaust and cat is probably the only thing left on the to do list.

Thanks again for posting the information on your m-tech. Solved some problems for me!!!
                            Your car looks just the way I want mine to look, except I would like the euro hounds tooth interior:)
                            Your car looks like it has euro weaves on it? Got mine on last Monday:)
                            jm

Comment

by herringbone you mean this? from this robrez mtech seat thread
                              Yes, that is exactly what I meant:). I have herringbone seats, but my cards are the normal hounds tooth. So I will have to look for the parts to finish one style or the other....but first I need to get the side skirts on:)
                              thanks for the picture,
                              jm

Comment

"normal houndstooth" lol

you LUCKY *#*&^ hahaha

HOWTOs:
                                DB vert plastic bumpers
                                OEM Keys
                                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Working...
                                X