Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questionable repairs that you have done, which have lasted a long time..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll be honest I've never done a questionable repair on my E30's as my OCD wouldn't allow it :tsk:

But I can show you guys what I found on an E30 I'm breaking (You Zip tie lovers will love this) ;D

This is what they did to get an E28 exhaust manifold to fit on an M30 :o:???:

??

"When Passion and Skill work together..the end result is often a masterpiece. ."
    Project Frankenstein :twisted: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=359297

Comment

so the intake hose off the turbo ripped into two on the mini.. has worked well for over 150 miles and sounds so mean when in boost. The minimal leakage it has lets the compressor sound through and it sounds like its built haha
      BMW tech
      Umass Amherst
      05 wrx sti

Comment

Nothing too noteworthy here, fixed a lot of PO stuff over the last couple years, elipsoid wiring has not been corrected though which seems to be a common one. My unique one may be the zip ties instead of rear lower fender bolts, the car is so low all that has been smashed up forever, the '91-only side skirts hide it nice.

Also, flexplate mounting bolts make great replacements for those ones where the rear subframe brackets bolt to the rocker panel. I still need to co back and put flexplate bolts in the other three so that they all match lol, the last E30 I found in the yard was an early 318 which apparently did not have those braces.
        sigpic
        1991 325i Sport - Calypsorot Metallic - DAILY DRIVEN

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

Comment

So when I was pulling my parcel shelf, I couldn't get the plug for the 3rd brake light to unclip (almost looked like it was glued together) so I just cut the wires and spliced them together upon reinstallation. Lol.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
          (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

PVC pipe JB welded to radiator neck on my e34. I took my time and sanded down the pipe to fit perfect, slathered it in JBL weld and use an incandescent light bulb as the heat source so it would cure faster. I think it was raining that day too lol. Worked great for thousands of miles until my radiator got ruined in a front end collision.

Comment

Originally posted by cypriotgeeza View Post
              I'll be honest I've never done a questionable repair on my E30's as my OCD wouldn't allow it :tsk:

But I can show you guys what I found on an E30 I'm breaking (You Zip tie lovers will love this) ;D
              lol. they didn't so much do "quick" repairs there, they hacked that poor car to bits. :(
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                lol. they didn't so much do "quick" repairs there, they hacked that poor car to bits. :(
                lol Trust me! This (as I found out later) Is how they fitted the engine to that car

"When Passion and Skill work together..the end result is often a masterpiece. ."
                Project Frankenstein :twisted: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=359297

Comment

Trackday, the plunger inside the booster snapped in half, 1 min epoxy some steady hands glued it back together. Fixed and drove around for years.

Comment

Track/race weekends bring out the MacGyver in all of us!

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk
                    1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                    2016 Ford Flex
                    2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                      In a pinch, you can just crimp on the female end of an insulated spade connector and shove them on. If they're not tight enough, just squeeze them with pliers. I actually ran them like this for... 3 years. So that's another questionable repair that lasted a long time.

THANKS!! Picked up some spade connectors and now have working lights!

Comment

^ I tried to find oem connectors for smileys but when I realized how expensive it would be to buy them new vs how shitty used electrical connectors off a junk car would be, I crimped them together and wrapped the wires in electrical tape. Done and done

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnyboy101 View Post
                          THANKS!! Picked up some spade connectors and now have working lights!
                          Every so often one might come a bit loose and one headlight won't turn on. Just figure out which spade connector is loose, squeeze it a bit with pliers, and reinstall.

You can find the yellow connectors on e36s at the junkyard. Next time you're there, snag a couple.
                          AWD > RWD

Comment

This might be a really sketchy one but this is my one solution that worked for many miles.

I had just installed a new manual trans with the help of friends under the car and in the midst of wresting it on with just supporting it slightly on a jack and moving it around the throw out bearing slipped down the sleeve and was installed improperly. Not having the time to pull the trans again I had to improvise. Knowing the amount of distance the throw out bearing had to travel based off the old slave cylinder push rod, I devised a plan with the help of an experienced mechanic. His suggestion....cut a bolt the same diameter of the slave cylinder push rod, round off the end, and insert it into the slave cylinder against the pivot fork.

I went to one of the many supply stores, bought myself a long bolt, cut the head off, rounded it, and did just that. Wouldn't you know it, I was able to shift into gear with this longer bolt now firmly inserted into the slave cylinder and I drove for over a thousand miles just like that, zero failures on that end. Sometimes, just sometimes, those kinds of fixes work. Would I reccomend it if you have time to do a job right? Hell no, never. However, for me, I did what I had to, and I don't regret it when it worked.
                            The fun never ends :-?

89 318iS
                            R.I.P 89 325i coupe
                            89 335iC

Comment

Did an E46 rack conversion and used the washer stack method instead of making/buying a spacer

Redoing the brake lines, stripped the end of one of the hardlines because no brake line spanner. Didn't have time to get another hard line made so vice gripped it to do it up with the new flex line.

I've been trying to get better at not bodging shit tho
                              sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

yeah I buggered up one of my brake lines last time I worked on it. I actually do have flared wrenches but they're cheap junk, the shape of them doesn't really let you grip the nut adequately so they stripped anyway.

Speaking of questionable repairs. I just thought of another one. My driver's seat has had black duct tape on it covering the rips for at least the last 8 years. lol. I usually redo it once a year, it tends to come off during the summer. Someday, maybe, I will get them recovered.. but at least the seat foam is protected. :|
                                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                                X