This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post

There's a difference between "sold" on BaT, and paid. I think the bidding history looks suspicious.
    maybe so but it won't stop those listing 800 dollar torn sport seats to list their next set at 1200. And on and on she goes

Comment

S14 Motor
      Bid for the chance to own a No Reserve: BMW S14 Engine at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #128,568.

325i Convertible
      Bid for the chance to own a No Reserve: 1991 BMW 325i Convertible at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #128,606.
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Bid for the chance to own a 1988 BMW M3 at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #128,913.

Comment

Bid for the chance to own a 1986 BMW 323i Alpina C2 2.5 Conversion 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #128,914.

Comment

Thanks Kie , beat me to it
            Simon
            Current Cars:

Comment

1989 325i
              Bid for the chance to own a 1989 BMW 325is 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #129,225.

1988 Alpina B3
              Bid for the chance to own a 1988 BMW Alpina B3 2.7 at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #129,318.

1989 325i Convertible
              https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-bmw-325i-convertible-29/
              Last edited by 2mAn; 11-27-2023, 03:06 PM.
              Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

What is the groups opinion on this car and the final price (reserve not met)?

Bid for the chance to own a Modified 1989 BMW 325i 5-Speed at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #128,070.

Comment

AWDBOB
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by SpreadHead View Post

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-bmw-325i-172/
                    There seem to be quite a few listings where seller expectations aren’t being met by the market.

Browse and bid online for the chance to own a BMW E30 3-Series at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online.

Label me jaded, but it appears that there are two kinds of cars on BAT: high dollar collectibles being traded between players, and fun enthusiast cars that won’t ever sell.

Comment

I'm sure the reserve was very close to that bid. I'm guessing around 12k

The seller and high bidder are probably going to agree somewhere in between that.
                      Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

1988 M3
                        Bid for the chance to own a 1988 BMW M3 at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #129,699.
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:

Comment

-The paint is done poorly and cracking/lifting all over the car
                          -It's a midwest car so it's got rust that will get worse as you look and poke at it, or attempt repair
                          -Lack of simple documentation around motor
                          -Standalone ECU cars are a detractor for a high dollar auction on a drivers car (opinion), as many high bidders don't do their own work and see that as added, expensive complication/mystery
                          -General signs of lack of concern all over the car, like the hose clamp exhaust hanger, how quickly the valve cover paint baked off, etc etc. That kind of stuff represents overall care to some folks

For midwest rust, look at the previous auction photos that weren't included in current auction. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-bmw-325i-133/

-Photos 83-84 show the passenger trunk area rusting- on a midwest car this means the entire passenger side wheel well will be problematic and is a bitch to repair. Where the evap cansiter and cover mounts will rust away in several different spots, same with fuel filler tube, etc. Those photos show that it's already through to the trunk

-Photo 98 shows a lack of exhaust heat shield, trans tunnel rust, and rear floor drain rust (the left rear floor drain i would put money could be pushed up with your hand judging by that photo). The trans tunnel rust sucks to repair, because towards the front of the trans tunnel stud cavity it holds moisture and rusts through the floor on the inside of the car.

-Photos 101-104 show inner rocker rust, which almost always involves more floor rust when you pull the carpet. Those sections also suck to repair and typically open a can of worms.

Basically, the car is missing a ton of fine detail work, it is rusty, and it needs the paint redone properly. Are these things problematic for a car you can jump in and enjoy driving? No.

Are these things going to stand in between that car and big money? Most definitely.
                          Last edited by AWDBOB; 11-28-2023, 08:28 AM.
                          1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                          1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post

-The paint is done poorly and cracking/lifting all over the car
                            -It's a midwest car so it's got rust that will get worse as you look and poke at it, or attempt repair
                            -Lack of simple documentation around motor
                            -Standalone ECU cars are a detractor for a high dollar auction on a drivers car (opinion), as many high bidders don't do their own work and see that as added, expensive complication/mystery
                            -General signs of lack of concern all over the car, like the hose clamp exhaust hanger, how quickly the valve cover paint baked off, etc etc. That kind of stuff represents overall care to some folks

For midwest rust, look at the previous auction photos that weren't included in current auction. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-bmw-325i-133/

-Photos 83-84 show the passenger trunk area rusting- on a midwest car this means the entire passenger side wheel well will be problematic and is a bitch to repair. Where the evap cansiter and cover mounts will rust away in several different spots, same with fuel filler tube, etc. Those photos show that it's already through to the trunk

-Photo 98 shows a lack of exhaust heat shield, trans tunnel rust, and rear floor drain rust (the left rear floor drain i would put money could be pushed up with your hand judging by that photo). The trans tunnel rust sucks to repair, because towards the front of the trans tunnel stud cavity it holds moisture and rusts through the floor on the inside of the car.

-Photos 101-104 show inner rocker rust, which almost always involves more floor rust when you pull the carpet. Those sections also suck to repair and typically open a can of worms.

Basically, the car is missing a ton of fine detail work, it is rusty, and it needs the paint redone properly. Are these things problematic for a car you can jump in and enjoy driving? No.

Are these things going to stand in between that car and big money? Most definitely.
                            still more realistic than the $16k ask for a rusty alberta 318is with issues and 300+k posted recently on the board. i notice he relisted locally at $12k and it magically lost over 250+k mileage.

edit : turns out the 12k car is another. also questionable, but at least m30 swapped.
                            Last edited by 82eye; 11-28-2023, 09:36 AM.

Comment

1990 325i
                              Bid for the chance to own a No Reserve: 35k-Mile 1990 BMW 325is at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #129,939.
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

S14 Engine & 265 Gearbox
                                Bid for the chance to own a No Reserve: BMW S14 Engine and Getrag 265 Gearbox at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #129,962.

1990 M3
                                Bid for the chance to own a 1990 BMW M3 at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #130,135.
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:

Comment

Working...
                                X