This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
    People tend to drive differently in their "appliance" then they do in their enthusiasts car.
    Not only that, it depends on what sort of drive you have in front of you each day. I used to work in an area that took me up a crazy steep and curvy winding road every morning, and it was a blast to carve those corners each day.

Now I have a different job, and my commute is ~40 miles of freeway driving each way in the worst traffic in the state. It can regularly take two hours to get home in stop & go traffic.

I've been REAR ENDED THREE TIMES since starting this job and driving this route. There's no way I'm sacrificing another "nice" car.

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    and for some people that means repeatedly buying Saabs
    If it dies, it dies. :p
    '89 Schwarz E30 M3 Cabriolet Build

Comment

Originally posted by IronJoe View Post
      I've been REAR ENDED THREE TIMES since starting this job and driving this route. There's no way I'm sacrificing another "nice" car.
      But then you're not a real enthusiast, IronJoe! :p
      Steve • Toronto
      1991 318is • Brillantrot
      Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Powling View Post
        But then you're not a real enthusiast, IronJoe! :p
        Yep, turning in my enthusiast card.

All jokes aside, it's easy to say in the abstract "well I'm gonna drive *blank* no matter what" but let's remember what we're talking about here:

This is real, and it really happened.
        '89 Schwarz E30 M3 Cabriolet Build

Comment

^^^And that is exactly why I don't drive any of my E30's regularly. I also give a wide berth to everyone out there and trust no one.

But like you said, when I am in the X3, exactly ZERO f*cks given, and I have no problem being a bit of an ass at times if pushed enough on the ride home.

To be honest though, I'd rather be riding my bike to and from work every day. No traffic on the route I use, and very few people in general. It's multiple times less stressful when I am using two wheel pedal power. It also puts a smile on my face knowing that I am not only getting a little exercise, but that I can come home to my Touring and not fretting that some texting moron will accidentally run in to it.

BTW, apparently the transmission in an M20 powered 325iS is a biatch to change. At least according to the comments on that 87 325is..

The transmission is no fun to get out of these 2.5 liter cars
          :eyeroll:
          1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
          2016 Ford Flex
          2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

I have 5 E30's in various condition, all running and 1 E39. The E39 is the daily commuter and does it's job well. It's comfortable, seats 5, large trunk, great AC, 6 airbags and just modern enough. There's also a bunch of them at the junkyards so used parts are very abundant. In fact I need to go grab a black painted door handle tomorrow and I will find it too. It's a matter of playing the odds. I drive my E30's for pleasure only so that's less chance of them getting rear ended in traffic by people playing on their phones, etc.
            "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
            88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
            89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
            91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

About 5 years ago my parents found a minty low mile 325i sedan for only $2600 and immediately bought it. They're not car enthusiasts but it was still something they liked having for its classic looks and its value as such. They rarely drove it because they were afraid of something happening to it and they wanted to make sure it survived until someday they gave it to me. I told them they shouldn't be so paranoid and to drive it and have fun with it!

Well guess what happened? My mom took it on a trip to a busy city and some bitch in a C3 corvette rear-ended her and totaled it. I've tried finding a comparable replacement but they just aren't out there like they used to be. If I did find one it's approaching $10k. So it's wrong to say that anything can just be easily replaced. It's the feeling of finding and owning something special that is even harder to replace. Part of the fun of owning a classic car really is simply just having it and admiring it, so driving it cautiously and sparingly in order to reduce the chances of losing it makes perfect sense to me. We lost our car but thankfully my mom walked away from her accident.
              My Feedback

Comment

Bring a Trailer Auctions, E30 edition

Bid for the chance to own a Euro S50-Powered 1991 BMW 325i Convertible at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #10,482.

Euro S50 swapped Vert! Crazy...

And now a re-sale of a 318is that was bought through BaT in 2017

Bid for the chance to own a No Reserve: 1991 BMW 318is at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #10,501.
                Last edited by 2mAn; 06-18-2018, 10:26 PM.
                Simon
                Current Cars:
                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

M3 Troy?

Definitely the vert is same car but not sure if M3Troy still owns it.

Yes, resurrecting a VLAD thread in the process (sorry)

I know Troy took care of the bodywork, so it should be good now.

Speaking of which is Vlad still slinging e30s?

Last edited by Javier h; 06-19-2018, 08:46 AM.

Comment

I thought he had moved on to another German brand?
                    1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                    2016 Ford Flex
                    2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Originally posted by Javier h View Post
                      Yes, resurrecting a VLAD thread in the process (sorry)
                      thank you. Its always fun to read these threads

:popcorn:

Have you guys seen the No-Reserve 85-i? Kinda tempted to bid on it if it stays under a certain price point
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                        [url]
                        And now a re-sale of a 318is that was bought through BaT in 2017

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...18is-coupe-16/
                        Surprised this one only hit $11.75 originally w/ such low mileage, would've been good for EAG to swoop in.

Comment

doesn't look like it hit the reserve in the last auction. i saw one of those EAG rides a few months back, they are damn expensive but that thing was a bubble car if i ever saw one.
                          Current flame: E30 318iS Alpinweiss II slicktop / LSD - Joanne
                          The old man: 1970 2002 Polaris(ish) slicktop / rat rod - Wallace
                          The ex: E92 335i 6MT M-Sport - Betty
                          The heavy: 2001 4Runner SR5 Sport (3rd Gen) - Fred

Comment

Cow catchers

The market has spoken. Anyone wanting $15k for an 87is isn't being realistic. $12k is where the money is at for a 70k mileage car in that year today (6/18). Start deducting from potential cars being sold accordingly with the repairs needed, higher mileage etc. or simply wait for a car in the future to be reasonably priced!
                            Last edited by Javier h; 06-21-2018, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Those 86 ES / 87 IS cars are tough ones, because they are special NA cars, but the bigass diving boards kill the overall look

$12k shouldve been enough
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by Javier h View Post
                                The market has spoken. Anyone wanting $15k for an 87is isn't being realistic. $12k is where the money is at for a 70k mileage car in that year today (6/18).
                                That's a pretty wide brush you found to paint every potential buyer of an 87is based off one (non) sale on one website.

$12k may be where the market was for THAT car, but it damned sure ain't for every last one of them.
                                Originally posted by kronus
                                would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Working...
                                X