Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uhhhhh. Well. Different strokes, I guess.
    '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Speaking of the BAT peanut gallery, my favorite post of the week was on an Alfa Alfetta sedan auction. One poster thought it had some BMW-esque styling (I agree), even a "Hofmaestro" kink. At least he didn't use Beemer or Beamer.
      1992 325i Cabrio
      1988 320i Touring
      2000 M5
      1977 530i
      2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
      BMWCCA
      E30CCA

Comment

On an otherwise not at all bad E30M3, WTF would make someone put vinyl stripes on a car, then CLEAR the whole car over them.
        Maybe there is some new autobody standard practice that my old ass is unaware of, but the old car guy in me thinks not.
        Thats a serious WTF. Now if someone doesnt want the stripes they literally have to strip the clearcoat off the car and then reclear it (at the best case scenario)?
        WTF,,, really simply WTF.
        The clearing over the vinyl stripes makes the deactivated windshield wipers seems like a simple oops.
        Even Vlad had the common sense to actually paint his M stripes on his white swap car.

Taking all the flat brim trim away from the car, the bones of a decent E30M3 seem to be hiding under there. Still has an S14, Lightweight flywheel, stainless exhaust, body seems straight enough, even the E36M3 brakes are not a bad addition, they just mean you have to run 17"s.
        Lose all the "flair" and thats not a bad car under it all, but man getting there is going to be expensive.
        Maybe better to take it the other way and make it a track car!
        Last edited by JimmyP; 02-21-2019, 11:10 AM.
        Jimmy P.
        87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
        88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Garage Queen
        88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU #98
        92 M Technic Cabrio - S14 Powered!
        98 318Ti Morea Green
        04 Ford F350 Dually Tow Machine

Comment

I had to read the bit about disabling the wipers in favor of a vinyl stripe about 5 times because I kept telling myself I wasn't reading it correctly.

Comment

Its a good thing they're Rain-X blades!

Comment

I keep re reading some of the info about that car and I become even more confused. Eventually the clear coat I would think would fail where the vinyl meets the paint - and then what's your only option? Re paint?

It's got some good bones and all, but man - to make it a keeper, you're going to want to fix some things.

The whole wiper being disconnected seems like a lot more work than just removing the wipers. Just so confusing.
              1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
              2016 Ford Flex
              2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Don’t understand why he vinyl wrapped the wiper to color match the stripes, but not the banner.... lol if I was buying that m3 I’d see it as a car that needs to be repainted, immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by rjsimeon View Post
                  Any guesses on how much this will go for?

14?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  I think it might hit 15, seems super clean and BAT loves that.

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
                    I keep re reading some of the info about that car and I become even more confused. Eventually the clear coat I would think would fail where the vinyl meets the paint - and then what's your only option? Re paint?

It's got some good bones and all, but man - to make it a keeper, you're going to want to fix some things.

The whole wiper being disconnected seems like a lot more work than just removing the wipers. Just so confusing.
                    My thoughts immediately went to the inevitable vinyl fade.
                    Vinyl fades like a MF'r, even the good stuff, especially red tones.
                    Fades much faster than paint.
                    If I look at pictures of my race car from 4-5 years ago I can see shift in the vinyl and that car lives a charmed life, inside all but 5-6 race weekends a year. What happens when the vinyl fades.
                    Alot of stupid went into that poor car.
                    Jimmy P.
                    87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                    88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Garage Queen
                    88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU #98
                    92 M Technic Cabrio - S14 Powered!
                    98 318Ti Morea Green
                    04 Ford F350 Dually Tow Machine

Comment

There’s definitely something fishy about that vinyl. My guess: clearcoat was failing on the roof (at least) and they had this “bright” idea on how to cover it and “upgrade” at the same time... definitely budget a full repaint unless the stripes gets your blood pumping and you wouldn’t have it any other way
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:
                      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyP View Post
                        My thoughts immediately went to the inevitable vinyl fade.
                        Vinyl fades like a MF'r, even the good stuff, especially red tones.
                        Fades much faster than paint.
                        If I look at pictures of my race car from 4-5 years ago I can see shift in the vinyl and that car lives a charmed life, inside all but 5-6 race weekends a year. What happens when the vinyl fades.
                        Alot of stupid went into that poor car.

Maybe the only hope is that the clear will prevent the vinyl from fading? Clearcoat has a UV protection to keep basecoats from fading in the same way.

I respect the individuality but it's really odd to put a temporary thing on (vinyl) and cover it with a permanent things (clear coat). I bet someone paid $5k to have that done too...

If I bought it, I might just wrap the whole car in vinyl and ignore the problem for a bit. Ha.
                        Build Thread: Ryan's Hennarot 318is
                        COTM Aug 2019

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                          There’s definitely something fishy about that vinyl. My guess: clearcoat was failing on the roof (at least) and they had this “bright” idea on how to cover it and “upgrade” at the same time... definitely budget a full repaint unless the stripes gets your blood pumping and you wouldn’t have it any other way

I had the same thought...what's hiding under that vinyl? Rust....poor paint....weird...
                          Build Thread: Ryan's Hennarot 318is
                          COTM Aug 2019

Comment

Originally posted by rjmcdermott81 View Post
                            Maybe the only hope is that the clear will prevent the vinyl from fading? Clearcoat has a UV protection to keep basecoats from fading in the same way.

I respect the individuality but it's really odd to put a temporary thing on (vinyl) and cover it with a permanent things (clear coat). I bet someone paid $5k to have that done too...

If I bought it, I might just wrap the whole car in vinyl and ignore the problem for a bit. Ha.
                            Wouldn’t you see the stripes through the vinyl if you wrapped the entire car? The clear has to be uneven on the paint in that section which makes it a detailer’s nightmare. I can see the swirls and scratches in the pictures he posted.

Comment

1986 S52 swapped 325e
                              Bid for the chance to own a S52-Powered Euro 1986 BMW 325e at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #16,740.

Simon
                              Current Cars:
                              -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                                1986 S52 swapped 325e
                                Bid for the chance to own a S52-Powered Euro 1986 BMW 325e at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #16,740.

Somebody on here was recently WTB one of these...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X