No announcement yet.

I'm speechless....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was going to say what others touched on earlier...we should get used to it. Super clean cars are fetching big bucks. A few ultra low mile 91 318iS' have already sold for $23-25K. I'd rather drive my cars. That's why I have 4 so I can drive them and still keep the miles low lol.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty.Piranha View Post
      ^Do you feel the e30 has already hit collector car status?
      Of course it has. Why else would prices be rising?
      Originally posted by kronus
      would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Beater to classic in, what >10 years?

I'm happy I have my two e30s. I don't think I could bring myself to purchase another one coming from a time when I was getting them for $XXX.

I mean, I got my 90' a year ago for 4k, in good running condition, decent respray and a really decent interior. I'm happy I picked it up when I did. Not going to find that today.
        Current Collection: 1990 325is // 1987 325i Vert // 2003 525i 5spd // 1985 380SL // 1992 Ranger 5spd // 2005 Avalanche // 2024 Honda Grom SP

Comment

Yeah, let's make all the fun cars to drive and work on cost a ton of money so they get driven and enjoyed less and less. Worked great for the British and Italian classics.

If you can't tell, I'm a wee bit bitter about all the stuff I can't afford, even crappy stuff that's just been super-inflated.
          Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
            Yeah, let's make all the fun cars to drive and work on cost a ton of money so they get driven and enjoyed less and less. Worked great for the British and Italian classics.

If you can't tell, I'm a wee bit bitter about all the stuff I can't afford, even crappy stuff that's just been super-inflated.
            Just find those odd ball cars, you know the SVT Contours, Quad Four GMs, 6 speed Mk4 GTIs, and the like. Fun cars, cheap entry, surprising performance for the dollar.

Or if you prefer just seek out low production, yet newer BMWs like an E34 540i M Sport, or weird combos of sport packages on otherwise pedestrian models. If you like you could just import a touring from Europe, as they can still be had for sub 5k USD landed stateside.

If none of those are interesting it's probably time to branch out in to the world of French automobiles, or jump ship to cheapie AMGs like a C36/43/32.

The world of fun, cheap cars is not limited to BMWs as much as we might think it is.

Comment

Honestly I don't think the e30 has hit collector car status. They have just gone up in value and I think the community as a whole has kind of over reacted to the whole thing. What popular cars haven't gone up in price?
              My Garage
              2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
              1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
              1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
              Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

It sucks that its happening but like other said that why you gotta hoard them when you got the ability. I think i got all the one i will get for a while. Its kinda crazy how many people have jumped on the e30 wagon. Have people who have no business owning them are getting them. I always tell people. You don't buy the e30. The e30 buys you. When its time another one will makes its way into your lap.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
                  I always tell people. You don't buy the e30. The e30 buys you. When its time another one will makes its way into your lap.
                  I would say there is a lot of truth into this. Every time I've bought an e30 it just kind of fell into my lap.
                  My Garage
                  2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                  1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                  1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                  Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
                    Just find those odd ball cars, you know the SVT Contours, Quad Four GMs, 6 speed Mk4 GTIs, and the like. Fun cars, cheap entry, surprising performance for the dollar.

Or if you prefer just seek out low production, yet newer BMWs like an E34 540i M Sport, or weird combos of sport packages on otherwise pedestrian models. If you like you could just import a touring from Europe, as they can still be had for sub 5k USD landed stateside.

If none of those are interesting it's probably time to branch out in to the world of French automobiles, or jump ship to cheapie AMGs like a C36/43/32.

The world of fun, cheap cars is not limited to BMWs as much as we might think it is.
                    I'm more of a small sports car/sedan guy, so I was thinking more along the lines of Alfa Giulia/Giulietta/GT, FIAT 124, Mini, MG anything, Triumph anything, 2002, CS, even the old Peugeot 405 maybe aside from the wrong-wheel drive. The nostalgia tax has hit each of them, and it obviously is what it is but I still wanna whine about it because I like those cars and can't use any :)
                    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Comment

I'm more of a small sports car/sedan guy, so I was thinking more along the lines of Alfa Giulia/Giulietta/GT, FIAT 124, Mini, MG anything, Triumph anything, 2002, CS, even the old Peugeot 405 maybe aside from the wrong-wheel drive. The nostalgia tax has hit each of them, and it obviously is what it is but I still wanna whine about it because I like those cars and can't use any :)
                      Look out for an M100 Elan, they're fun, and not too dear just yet, granted they're wrongWD.

Perhaps a Saab 96, Audi 90, Volvo 200, Alfetta or GTV-6, or heaven forbid, a 944.

It should be said that I really haven't been impacted by the whole E30s have gone crazy thing as I own one of the less desirable cars in the form of a '91 318i, which despite being very nice and well sorted probably wouldn't crest 7k in a sale no matter how long I waited. However, I don't think I'd buy another E30 right now as prices, or the thought of buying another car needing a complete overhaul don't appeal to me much.

Comment

Look out for an M100 Elan, they're fun, and not too dear just yet, granted they're wrongWD.

Perhaps a Saab 96, Audi 90, Volvo 200, Alfetta or GTV-6, or heaven forbid, a 944.

It should be said that I really haven't been impacted by the whole E30s have gone crazy thing as I own one of the less desirable cars in the form of a '91 318i, which despite being very nice and well sorted probably wouldn't crest 7k in a sale no matter how long I waited. However, I don't think I'd buy another E30 right now as prices, or the thought of buying another car needing a complete overhaul don't appeal to me much.

Funny you say less desirable 91 318i. My 91 318 has gotten more can buy please then any of my other cars. Maybe cause its a slick top idk.

Ah car that i have always wanted is a sunbeam alpine. Idk why but i want one they dont seem to bad in pricing.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

Funny you say less desirable 91 318i. My 91 318 has gotten more can buy please then any of my other cars. Maybe cause its a slick top idk.

Ah car that i have always wanted is a sunbeam alpine. Idk why but i want one they dont seem to bad in pricing.
                          Just statistically less desirable, sedan owners know that they are better in almost every way. So it really must be the sunroof dragging the car down, fortunately I already fixed that problem on the 318is, and then I plastidipped it to compensate for the potential increase in value.

Comment

Just statistically less desirable, sedan owners know that they are better in almost every way. So it really must be the sunroof dragging the car down, fortunately I already fixed that problem on the 318is, and then I plastidipped it to compensate for the potential increase in value.

Haha sounds like a solid plan. I can 100% agree you on sedans. The 2 doors look better usually, but man you don't realize how kick ass those two extra doors are until you got them.

1991 318i 4dr slick top

Comment

I am surprised that E30 is in high demand after 26 years it ended production. And more surprising that people who were born after 1991 want one.

Comment

I've looked at 944s on and off, but they sound like a maintenance tragedy waiting to happen. They look like they'd be fun! I dunno if I could do an "Elan" if only because the real Elan is so much cooler! Haha. GTV6 might be kinda cool, forgot about those. Maybe some research is in order... The sad thing is I really don't need another car, but knowing I could get one if I wanted is comforting somehow.

They're super heavy and very slow. They do look cool, though.

Haha sounds like a solid plan. I can 100% agree you on sedans. The 2 doors look better usually, but man you don't realize how kick ass those two extra doors are until you got them.
                                Having driven both, I strongly prefer the 4-door. Same chassis, more usability.

Comment

Working...
                                X