Coast to Coast, an e30 American adventure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saturday 08 September

Our body clocks are still quite messed up as England is 8 hours ahead of California in time we keep waking up silly early, we decided to take advantage of this and when we naturally woke we decided to drive up to San Francisco and spend the day there.

Took a nice chilled drive up, the car is averaging 26.7 which i think is pretty good.

We got the San Francisco at a good time and took advantage of this, the first stop on the list was the famous Lombard Street. It was early and kinda empty so went around a few times, i kicked the Mrs out the car and told her to grab some photos (typical tourist)

Untitled by ben walsh, on Flickr

Taking advantage of the low levels of traffic we then headed to the Golden Gate Bridge, Obviously i was driving so couldn't get any photos going over it.

We then headed up to a look out point onto of one of the surrounding hills of the bridge, i actually took a wrong turn and ended up there which was super cool and worth it. We took in the sites and just took a moment up there and embraced it.

We headed up to Lands End and went for a small hike, didn't get many photos but saw this camper van.

I refused to pay the premium parking that is in San Francisco so we circled the city for a while finding street parking, damn them hills are crazy steep, i have heard they are steep and photos of them really do not do them justice, the car really done well and i was surprised, i honestly thought it was going to let go on some of them hills but shit she done good!!

We headed to Pier 39 to hit up the tourist spots.

Should probably call my dentist and make an appointment already for when i get back home in December as damn you guys love a Candy store here and i cant resist!!

And we came across these noisy boys as we went around the pier

and some random street art.

Ever wondered how they turn the trams around, nope me either but we saw them doing it anyway.

We went to the Painted Ladies houses, honestly waste of time and i would have been a little pissed if we paid to see them.

Atlas there was an NSX out front so there was something worth seeing.

The end house is up for sale at the moment for $2.2 million.

I drove my e30 from California to London!

Comment

Subscribed

Comment

Sunday 09 September

So over the next couple of days we are going to Mammoth Lakes and Yosemite, we decided to head closer to the area and grab a hotel, we got up when we got up today with the understanding that we are just going to take the day as it comes. Took a nice chilled drive over the Sonora taking the back roads once again staying off the Interstates.

We got to the hotel quite earlier, a lot earlier than our check in time so we went and grabbed some food and went to explore, we came across some cool town which has a lot to do with old trains, so i will dump a load of photos from whilst we was there of the cool shit they had.

Someone order a Cummins Crate motor?

Heard you wanted to strap a turbo to your M50 build...

There was also a couple cool cars lingering around.

Now, leading on from the Delorean there was also some real movie props there from the film!!

unsure if this Delorean was the one used but the train was the genuine movie prop.

Just realised i haven't edited the photo of the other Delorean and my laptop is about to run out of battery so some of you may say that i am outatme on that...

Comment

Well now you know your brakes work perfectly!

Comment

Looking good! I’d love to do this someday too in my e30.

I just followed you on Flickr - you have some nice images there.

Wishing you safe and enjoyable travels!
            Jon (OO=[][]=OO)
            1992 325ic white, stock with a 5-speed swap
            Palm Beach County

Comment

Originally posted by pondhopper View Post
              Well now you know your brakes work perfectly!
              this is always good news to hear!!! especially as i plan on driving up pikes peak in a few weeks time.

Originally posted by jgilber0 View Post
              Looking good! I’d love to do this someday too in my e30.

I just followed you on Flickr - you have some nice images there.

Wishing you safe and enjoyable travels!
              Do it!! its been amazing so far and we have only just started.

We are heading out to Mammoth Lakes today and then Yosemite the day after.

Comment

Is there any way you can create a google map or something to track your travel history? It would be great to see what back roads you're taking.

Maybe check out Devils Post Pile in Mammoth, I've never been but heard it was cool.
                Last edited by Mike36; 09-10-2018, 09:32 AM.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mike36 View Post
                  Is there any way you can create a google map or something to track your travel history? It would be great to see what back roads you're taking.

Maybe check out Devils Post Pile in at Mammoth, I've never been but heard it was cool.
                  I am not sure, we have a 3 hour drive today so i will get the Mrs to look into that!!

Oh sweet, just looked into that!! think we shall try and explore there and get to it. trying to find out now the best way to get there.

Comment

God speed to ya Ben. Thanks for posting up your trip, really cool.

Watch out for all the damn people staring at their phones. Lately I’ve avoided two lane roads because at least once per day somebody drifts over the centerline (oops, centreline) and scares the shit outta me.
                    My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
                    I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

Originally posted by benwalsh91 View Post

Found this cool little light house, tried to get a photo with the shit box

Very cool that Ive been to a lot of these spots, and Ive been to that exact lighthouse, and we were in Sonora not too long ago...

Awesome trip. Have a safe drive and we'll see you when you get here
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:
                      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

So where are you now? I guess I missed you when you were in Oakland...
                        sigpic
                        1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                        1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                        1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Hell yeah man we went to Santa Cruz it was super nice and chilled! really enjoyed ourselves.

Monterey is coming up in about 3 days and driving all the way down the PCH

The plan is to try and avoid as many interstates as we can and stick to the backroads, obviously this is time dependent.

See you in a few weeks man, we will get a date sorted for a meet!! i have updated my above post with photos and now to go through the rest of them to catch up from the past few days.

When you’re going to Monterey look up Freedom meat locker in Watsonville for a BBQ skirt steak sandwich. Best I’ve ever had!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                          Transaction feedback
                          - jpod999

Comment

So in for this! I did a similar thing in Europe when I did Euro delivery on my M3, except way less stops. My family did a trip like yours with a camper starting in NJ going to Cali when I was 13.

Good luck too bad you are not going through Chicago, love to meet you!

Last edited by Staszek; 09-11-2018, 05:19 PM.
                            Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Before I reply to everyone just wanted to say the WiFi at the hotel we have been in the past couple of days just doesn’t work so I can’t get on with my laptop and update with photos but we have had an amazing couple of days and I can not wait to share the pictures with you all.

Tomorrow we are driving from our hotel in mammoth lakes to Monterey which is 295 miles and is going to take just over 6 hours according to maps.

Originally posted by 325e '87 View Post
                              God speed to ya Ben. Thanks for posting up your trip, really cool.

Watch out for all the damn people staring at their phones. Lately I’ve avoided two lane roads because at least once per day somebody drifts over the centerline (oops, centreline) and scares the shit outta me.
                              Thank you. Honestly it scares and shocks me how much people use there phones out here. It’s crazy. I would never ever contemplate picking up my phone to text someone or call someone whilst driving unless it’s via a hands free device! It is actually something that really pisses me off, is that text message so important that your willing to risk someone else’s life! It’s bad enough putting your own life in danger let alone your own. And don’t get me started when I see people using there phones when they have kids in the back. That’s just straight up fucking dumb!!

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                              Very cool that Ive been to a lot of these spots, and Ive been to that exact lighthouse, and we were in Sonora not too long ago...

Awesome trip. Have a safe drive and we'll see you when you get here
                              Oh yes! Did we decide on a date for a little get together. Personally Friday 21st works best for me, is there anything in the California section?

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
                              So where are you now? I guess I missed you when you were in Oakland...
                              Yeah man To be honest I spent minimal time in Oakland we literally just landed there and then left. Sorry man

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
                              When you’re going to Monterey look up Freedom meat locker in Watsonville for a BBQ skirt steak sandwich. Best I’ve ever had!
                              We are actually heading to Monterey tomorrow. It’s 295 mike drive which is going to take over 6 hours so some good food is going to be much needed when we arrive!! I’ve made a note and shall try and hit it up tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up!!

Originally posted by Staszek View Post
                              So in for this! I did a similar thing in Europe when I did Euro delivery on my M3, except way less stops. My family did a trip like yours with a camper starting in NJ going to Cali when I was 13.

Good luck too bad you are not going through Chicago, love to meet you!

That’s an awesome little trip! We are having such a good time I love going through more of the back roads and seeing the small towns rather than the bigger towns. I’ve got 2 days worth of updates currently to post but they won’t be tonight and potentially tomorrow depending how I feel when I get to the hotel. I am so behind but I have been taking notes. Just the shitty internet here won’t let me on the WiFi to upload photos and I am getting weak cell signal so I can’t even set up a personal hotspot.

Comment

Oh yes! Did we decide on a date for a little get together. Personally Friday 21st works best for me, is there anything in the California section?

;D

I chose Fatburger to give you another taste of a local burger joint. In & Out is typical... now when euros say "ahh did you go to In & Out?" you can say, "yea its good, but fatburger is mega" (did I use mega properly this time? LOL)

actually theres a million spots in that giant shopping center, so there will be something for everyone

I will bring a front plate delete for you too
                                Simon
                                Current Cars:
                                -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Working...
                                X