Is this an OK place to store my E30?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this an OK place to store my E30?

Common sense says if these buildings couldn't take the weight of snow, nobody in the northeast would build them. But on the other hand... People are dumb.

What do you guys think? I put in the (now crooked) support beam as some insurance.

You're fine, assuming it was built correctly.

Though if you really want to take full advantage of that self-added column, move it to the center (depth-wise) of the covering. The front edge only has half the tributary width as the center, and will never fail at that point if a homogeneous area load (i.e. snow) is applied to the structure.
    My previous build (currently E30-less)
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

Why not add a few more support columns?
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Woohoo! Someone local. I live outside of philly. That being said I can't imagine that we would ever get enough snow to make that cave in. I would however add another beam when possible just for the insurance. At least yours has a roof over it, mine just sits on the driveway under a covercraft cover.
        Originally posted by Melon
        Engine work takes patience and finesse.

Suspension work takes anger, a big fucking hammer, and a torch.

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post

Though if you really want to take full advantage of that self-added column, move it to the center (depth-wise) of the covering. The front edge only has half the tributary width as the center, and will never fail at that point if a homogeneous area load (i.e. snow) is applied to the structure.
          someones an engineer!

yeah I'd add one more in the middle if you're nervous about it
          1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

whats that white stuff on the ground? - some Californian
            Simon
            Current Cars:
            -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Tons of cocaine. We have some in Missouri too.

Comment

Add another post in the middle, I think it will be OK.

but you're smart to think of that, a lot of people wouldn't..
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

My SO's sister has a very similar looking car port, with no extra added center beam, and she lives in Littleton, NH. Crazy amounts of snow.

I think you're fine.
                  AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by MR E30 325is View Post

Engineering mindset. Thanks dude.

I actually had a center beam too, but after some really strong wind, the center post somehow worked its way out (I cut to rough length and just pressure fit them) and fell on my car !! luckily it didn't leave a mark. So I got to thinking about how to properly set the post in place, and then I thought, you know, do I even need these things anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                      Why not add a few more support columns?

Originally posted by CMBusch View Post
                      Woohoo! Someone local. I live outside of philly. That being said I can't imagine that we would ever get enough snow to make that cave in. I would however add another beam when possible just for the insurance. At least yours has a roof over it, mine just sits on the driveway under a covercraft cover.

Originally posted by wworm View Post
                      someones an engineer!

yeah I'd add one more in the middle if you're nervous about it

Originally posted by nando View Post
                      Add another post in the middle, I think it will be OK.

but you're smart to think of that, a lot of people wouldn't..
                      Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                      My SO's sister has a very similar looking car port, with no extra added center beam, and she lives in Littleton, NH. Crazy amounts of snow.

I think you're fine.

Good looking out, thanks yall

Comment

Originally posted by rex View Post
                        I actually had a center beam too, but after some really strong wind, the center post somehow worked its way out (I cut to rough length and just pressure fit them) and fell on my car !! luckily it didn't leave a mark. So I got to thinking about how to properly set the post in place, and then I thought, you know, do I even need these things anyway?
                        Lol, pressure fit them? The whole structure will flex in the wind making that pressure fit, as you found out, not a fit at all.

If you want the center beam to actually reinforce the structure, you need to dig down 2 feet, set the beam in, lag bolt it to a top cross member, and then fill the hole with concrete.

Or you know, just not worry about it, because the car port is probably pretty solid.
                        AWD > RWD

Comment

Why not just knock the snow off when it starts to accumulate?

Comment

Originally posted by rex View Post
                            Engineering mindset. Thanks dude.
                            I am literally a Structural Engineer.

Don't overthink this. Pull that front column and be done with it. Less another poorly implemented column falls on your car.
                            My previous build (currently E30-less)
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

just put snow tires on it and beat it all winter.

Comment

Working...
                              X