Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which engine would you choose for a swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^ I noticed that....

E.

Comment

N52 isn’t on the list because it requires too much custom work. These 3 engines are easy to put in an E30 using off-the-shelf parts. In regards to DBW on the M54, there’s no reason to delete it. The electronic pedal is easy to install and I believe it gives a nicer experience than the cable throttle.

Also, let’s assume the E30 you’re putting this into doesn’t have an engine. There’s this weird purist thing going on where people think M42s only belong in a 318is, and it seems people either love them or hate them and those who hate them seem to be very vocal about it. It’s very odd. Kinda thinking I should stick an M42 into my 325is just so people can hate on it. :)
      Plug and Play Wiring Harness Adapters for S54, S50, M54 and more.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew325is View Post
        N52 isn’t on the list because it requires too much custom work. These 3 engines are easy to put in an E30 using off-the-shelf parts. In regards to DBW on the M54, there’s no reason to delete it. The electronic pedal is easy to install and I believe it gives a nicer experience than the cable throttle.

Also, let’s assume the E30 you’re putting this into doesn’t have an engine. There’s this weird purist thing going on where people think M42s only belong in a 318is, and it seems people either love them or hate them and those who hate them seem to be very vocal about it. It’s very odd. Kinda thinking I should stick an M42 into my 325is just so people can hate on it. :)
        My 318is is getting a m54, I've done the mental gymnastics in my purists head it that its ok to swap a 318is as long as it's a late DOHC motor. Because the M42 is in the family of the M5x motors. M20, M10, and S14 really are the old architecture.

Also forum member hoveringuy made good power with his mega squirt m54.
        91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
        Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
        E30 can make you, E30 can break you
        "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

M54. My car came with an M42 which was mehhhhh. S14 might be a fantastic engine but are ruinously expensive.
          91 318is M50 swapped
          05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Originally posted by Motheye99 View Post
            My 318is is getting a m54, I've done the mental gymnastics in my purists head it that its ok to swap a 318is as long as it's a late DOHC motor. Because the M42 is in the family of the M5x motors. M20, M10, and S14 really are the old architecture.

Also forum member hoveringuy made good power with his mega squirt m54.
            https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=320713
            I have no ragrets 24v swapping my 318is. The M42 makes mediocre power for the expense of upkeep (think timing components, & now Cam gears are NLA). I really don’t care about having perfect balance either, the car isn’t tracked. It handles well enough for my needs, iron block & all.

Comment

Am I the only one who thinks that by today's standards the s14 is gutless, buzzy, overpriced, over-hyped and fragile motor?
              Build Threads:
              Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Originally posted by Julien View Post
                Am I the only one who thinks that by today's standards the s14 is gutless, buzzy, overpriced, over-hyped and fragile motor?
                It's on par with a K24 from a performance standpoint. Just costs 10k and is way cooler.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
                91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
                Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
                E30 can make you, E30 can break you
                "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

Originally posted by Julien View Post
                  It’s cool, but a novelty for a swap.

Comment

I wouldn't call an S14 "fragile". Expensive to repair, but I wouldn't quite call it fragile.
                    '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

LOL, thats all I got.

BMW still has yet to build an NA motor that is smaller / lighter that has the potential to make more power.
                      Last edited by JimmyP; 07-11-2019, 12:58 PM.
                      Jimmy P.
                      87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                      88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Garage Queen
                      88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU #98
                      92 M Technic Cabrio - S14 Powered!
                      98 318Ti Morea Green
                      04 Ford F350 Dually Tow Machine

Comment

I say M54! Or S54 :) But I really liked the M54B30 in my old 330i
                        Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Yeah, I had an e39 with an m54b30 in it... it was amazing.

drove it for 70k miles and didnt do anything to it except change the oil
                          Originally posted by wholepailofwater
                          Q
                          :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

I've had an m54, and now N52 in my e30. The M54 is a nice choice. Tons of torque and easy drivability. Cheap and plentiful, and fairly bulletproof. That said, the downside is the crank harmonics and flattened hp curve up top. Its a great street choice though. The N52 has similar characteristics down low, but builds power up top, and revs so freely. It feels more like an M motor compared to the M54. Probably not worthwhile if you are just going to street, but I would strongly consider it for track or autocross use.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyP View Post
                              LOL, thats all I got.

BMW still has yet to build an NA motor that is smaller / lighter that has the potential to make more power.
                              AFAIK the N52b30 is lighter and makes a boatload more power
                              Build Threads:
                              Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

Whats the oil pan deal for N5x swaps??
                                Originally posted by wholepailofwater
                                Q
                                :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Working...
                                X