No announcement yet.

Thoughts on the new C8 corvette?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://youtu.be/nvTzcNtaSLU">https://youtu.be/nvTzcNtaSLU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

If only I wasnt poor...
    1990 325is
    m52b28
    3.73lsd
    g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Doesnt look like the youtube thing for comments is working...(previous post^)
      1990 325is
      m52b28
      3.73lsd

Comment

Chevy's mid-engined C8 Corvette could never live up to all the hype that it's generated, but it comes damn close. My old Chevy is good enough for me though, and I always attach my car key on a Streamlight 99110 Nano LED Key Chain Light, very useful at times. Check out this Best Keychain Reviews for more details https://totalguide.org/best-tactical...in-flashlight/.
        Last edited by Ensorcell; 01-09-2020, 07:09 PM.

Comment

It's porky, overly complicated, and too overpowered for enjoyable street use - just like every other modern performance car.
          1986 325e Schwarz (sold)
          1989 325iX Alpineweiß​ (daily)

Greed is Good

Comment

Seems like some of you would complain about anything.

I think this is going to be a really good car. It will also make more of a divide between the Vette and the Camaro. Thus, hopefully, allowing the Camaro more room to grow, i.e. more horse-pers.
            1990 325is
            m52b28
            3.73lsd

Comment

Originally posted by Ensorcell View Post
              Chevy's mid-engined C8 Corvette could never live up to all the hype that it's generated, but it comes damn close.
              Doubtful. There is nothing even remotely close to it for anywhere near the same price, it seems as if it's literally impossible for it to be a letdown provided it doesn't burst into flame like a ferrari. What is there to not live up to? It's going to slaughter everything in its price range performance wise, every Corvette since the C5 has been a knockout as far as performance per dollar goes. It's not like people are expecting it to have a Bentley tier interior or some other unrealistic stuff that nobody has ever expected from a Corvette.

Originally posted by ZeKahr View Post
              too overpowered for enjoyable street use - just like every other modern performance car.
              That sounds like something someone who hasn't driven a powerful modern car would say. If it's just "too overpowered" than that statement must apply to every post C4 corvette and post SN95 mustang, they're all more than capable of leaving traction behind in the hands of a sufficiently ham-fisted driver and winding up in a ditch and every car this side of a sport trim kei car is capable of getting into very illegal speeds very fast if you're enjoying yourself on the street.

IG @turbovarg
              '91 318is, M20 turbo
              [CoTM: 4-18]
              '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
              - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post

Doubtful. There is nothing even remotely close to it for anywhere near the same price, it seems as if it's literally impossible for it to be a letdown provided it doesn't burst into flame like a ferrari. What is there to not live up to? It's going to slaughter everything in its price range performance wise, every Corvette since the C5 has been a knockout as far as performance per dollar goes. It's not like people are expecting it to have a Bentley tier interior or some other unrealistic stuff that nobody has ever expected from a Corvette.

That sounds like something someone who hasn't driven a powerful modern car would say. If it's just "too overpowered" than that statement must apply to every post C4 corvette and post SN95 mustang, they're all more than capable of leaving traction behind in the hands of a sufficiently ham-fisted driver and winding up in a ditch and every car this side of a sport trim kei car is capable of getting into very illegal speeds very fast if you're enjoying yourself on the street.
                That's pretty much my line of thinking. Most powerful car I've driven recently is my auto E46 325i and that car feels like it has enough power for fun day-to-day driving. Anything more powerful and I'd be breaking traction more often than I'd like. Hell my E46 breaks traction on dry pavement sometimes if I only give it 1/2 throttle, but that could either be a trigger happy ASC or shitty tires. To cruise around 80-90 MPH on the interstate, which is about the fastest you're going to have the balls to go (provided you're a responsible adult), you only need about 70-100 hp in most cars. Pretty much why I went with a 325e - I never use the 5-6.5K region and don't miss it; I get the meat of my torque curve in the 2-4k region the engine will spend most of its time sitting at. Also hauls ass shockingly well at such low revs.
                1986 325e Schwarz (sold)

Greed is Good

Comment

The C8.R race car is out making some cool noises in testing. And a camouflaged street mule is out on the road making very interesting, flat-plane-crank noises.

Comment

That's pretty much my line of thinking. Most powerful car I've driven recently is my auto E46 325i and that car feels like it has enough power for fun day-to-day driving. Anything more powerful and I'd be breaking traction more often than I'd like. Hell my E46 breaks traction on dry pavement sometimes if I only give it 1/2 throttle, but that could either be a trigger happy ASC or shitty tires. To cruise around 80-90 MPH on the interstate, which is about the fastest you're going to have the balls to go (provided you're a responsible adult), you only need about 70-100 hp in most cars. Pretty much why I went with a 325e - I never use the 5-6.5K region and don't miss it; I get the meat of my torque curve in the 2-4k region the engine will spend most of its time sitting at. Also hauls ass shockingly well at such low revs.
                    Man you think an Auto E46 325i has enough power, driving too many E30's lol! I used to have a manual one of those and it felt adequate at best. At 8.1 0-60 its slower than an E30 325i manual and pretty close to the E30 325i automatic.

That being said you need to remember (maybe not on the Vette) most cars are so much heavier now, and with modern traction control they feel great, you can use that power and some of them actually need that power to get out of their own way.

Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Anyone see the zo6 that got fillmed, appears to be a 911 GT3 contender with a very high reving V8 and the rules the C8.R require at least 300 dohc flat-plane V8's be sold in cars for homolgation.

91' 318is 90' 325is

Originally posted by Sonny
                      Buy the E30s, they ain't gonna last long
                      E30 can make you, E30 can break you
                      "He who controls the Nova's, controls the Boomers"

Comment

I think the new Vette looks sweet, but after my lemon 2018 Colorado I'll never buy GM again. I was considering it for my next car, a few years down the line. My lemon Colorado made me get something much sooner, so I picked up a 2018 Audi S3. Probably gonna have it for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post

Man you think an Auto E46 325i has enough power, driving too many E30's lol! I used to have a manual one of those and it felt adequate at best. At 8.1 0-60 its slower than an E30 325i manual and pretty close to the E30 325i automatic.

That being said you need to remember (maybe not on the Vette) most cars are so much heavier now, and with modern traction control they feel great, you can use that power and some of them actually need that power to get out of their own way.
                          The 0-60 time doesn't really mean anything in daily driving since most people don't floor their cars from a stop. Most people where I live (in densely populated NJ) take 15-25 seconds just to get to 60 from a stop because they're revving their engines to 2500-4000 RPM at most. Vehicle weight doesn't really have much of an effect on acceleration; it comes into play when you're driving up inclines, but for accelerating on a flat surface it barely plays a role. Acceleration is primarily limited by the vehicle's aerodynamic profile. No car, even 4000 lb sedans, needs 300+ hp just to get out of its own way in traffic, they just need ample low-end torque and the appropriate gearing to go along with it.
                          1986 325e Schwarz (sold)

Greed is Good

Comment

The 0-60 time doesn't really mean anything in daily driving since most people don't floor their cars from a stop. Most people where I live (in densely populated NJ) take 15-25 seconds just to get to 60 from a stop because they're revving their engines to 2500-4000 RPM at most. Vehicle weight doesn't really have much of an effect on acceleration; it comes into play when you're driving up inclines, but for accelerating on a flat surface it barely plays a role. Acceleration is primarily limited by the vehicle's aerodynamic profile. No car, even 4000 lb sedans, needs 300+ hp just to get out of its own way in traffic, they just need ample low-end torque and the appropriate gearing to go along with it.
                            I know the difference in acceleration, and weight matters, unless you are already going highway speeds.

So let's talk about midrange, 50-75mph in those cars are less than a half a second apart in top gear. (manual vs Manual) .They are both around 12 seconds, and 8ish seconds in 4th gear which is slow. I lived in NJ, there is plenty of aggressive driving there especially on the TP or PKWY

No car "needs" more than 100hp to get from point a to b, but this is an enthusiast site so I am discounting that argument.

The E46 325 auto is adequate, and your statement agrees with that. Not sure how many 4000 plus cars you drive but under 300hp in those cars are again adequate not really exciting. Since you were talking about power in the RPM bands TQ means way more than HP anyway until you are really moving.

Agree to disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by Staszek View Post

I know the difference in acceleration, and weight matters, unless you are already going highway speeds.

So let's talk about midrange, 50-75mph in those cars are less than a half a second apart in top gear. (manual vs Manual) .They are both around 12 seconds, and 8ish seconds in 4th gear which is slow. I lived in NJ, there is plenty of aggressive driving there especially on the TP or PKWY

No car "needs" more than 100hp to get from point a to b, but this is an enthusiast site so I am discounting that argument.

The E46 325 auto is adequate, and your statement agrees with that. Not sure how many 4000 plus cars you drive but under 300hp in those cars are again adequate not really exciting. Since you were talking about power in the RPM bands TQ means way more than HP anyway until you are really moving.
                              I've driven my parents 2011 Sienna V6, which weighs ~4300-4400 lbs and only makes 266 hp. Highest I've revved it routinely is around 4000 RPM, where its making around 180-190 hp. Even with that kind of weight, the horrid aerodynamics, and only 180-190 hp, the goddamn thing blasts off like Team Rocket from Pokemon.

My expectations of what is considered adequate performance in a car is probably very different from most people on this forum so that's why I'm an Eta owner
                              1986 325e Schwarz (sold)

Greed is Good

Comment

I've driven my parents 2011 Sienna V6, which weighs ~4300-4400 lbs and only makes 266 hp. Highest I've revved it routinely is around 4000 RPM, where its making around 180-190 hp. Even with that kind of weight, the horrid aerodynamics, and only 180-190 hp, the goddamn thing blasts off like Team Rocket from Pokemon.

My expectations of what is considered adequate performance in a car is probably very different from most people on this forum so that's why I'm an Eta owner
                                Haha ok I know we think different after the minivan comment:) No worries, we all have our vices. Considering I am thinking of tuning my 445hp/480tq 750i to get more power out of it, maybe I am overboard lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X