Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M20 Big Bore Throttle Bodies.

If...

I decided to produce these again how many would be interested in them at about $300 a pop.

And If...

I started Porting M20 Manifolds again how many would be interested at about $200 (PS they work way better than the Mud Honed bullshit).

Also If...

I were to produce 45mm ITB setups at about $2500 a kit would any one at all pony up for them?
    Big Bore TB
    30.19%
    Micro sculpted, Ported Manifolds.
    37.74%
    ITB Kit
    32.08%

make a big bore for us 24v guys

www.gutenparts.com
    One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

What kind of gains/improments did the TB and manifold produce (together or separately)?

Jon
      Rides...
      1991 325i - sold :(
      2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

Originally posted by Jon325i View Post
        What kind of gains/improments did the TB and manifold produce (together or separately)?

Jon
        A well done manifold will get you about 3 to 5 HP (plus smother transitions and better efficiency due to more even cylinder charging)

The only real advantage to big bore is top end response the curve flatens latter (like around 7 grand).

Comment

ported manifold for $200 sounds like a good deal. I have one sitting under the house for a core - are they port matched to the OEM gasket? Bead blasted? I actually want to paint mine a specific color so I don't care about powdercoating.

there's another guy who does BBTB's for a little less, he's put a lot of work into them (proper venturi, etc), but I don't know how much he replaces. I assume for $300 you pretty much rebuild it.. I also have a core to use for that, but I don't know about spending $300 on it. I think I'd rather put $300 towards exaust..

ITBs - unless you're building a race motor that screams to 7500rpm, not worth it IMO. Tuning is more difficult and you need a wild cam/high CR to take advantage of it. Maybe somebody will bite but good luck with this crowd. :(

so yeah - I like the idea of a ported manifold for $200. :)
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by e30s52 View Post
            make a big bore for us 24v guys

Hmmm... Got any money? (large TBs are still out there for you guys you don't need me for that)
            Last edited by DCColegrove; 08-20-2008, 08:15 PM.

Comment

depends on what day but yes i got some money lol

www.gutenparts.com
              One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post

there's another guy who does BBTB's for a little less, he's put a lot of work into them (proper venturi, etc), but I don't know how much he replaces. I assume for $300 you pretty much rebuild it.. I also have a core to use for that, but I don't know about spending $300 on it.
                These would be completely new units.

I used to make them when e30 was king... I made some changes to the design in '95 (had a beter flow benches by then) and stoped producing them in 97.

and about the manifolds: Yes they are matched and I paint them... I'm not a big fan of powdercoat.

Comment

oh yeah, $300 for a new TB sounds better. can you make one with a reversed throttle shaft for the E36 TPS? ;)

any discount for a bare but cleaned manifold? I want to do mine body color. :p
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                    any discount for a bare but cleaned manifold? I want to do mine body color. :p
                    I'm still thinking on whether or not I'll do it at all (I hate porting...It's braindead work).

but if you want to try one out I might be inclined to work with you.

Comment

Like Nando said ITB's are not worth it, It took me 6 years to get a set running great on my car. Yes the power is amazing, and so is the throttle response, but it's for a pure high rpm breathing engine(I run it around 4k plus all the time). If I had to do it over again I would of purchased a setup from Dbilis and saved my self the headaches, but I just don't see them being anywhere worth while on a stock engine without major mods and some sort of programmable fuel injection. I think your best bet is doing Big bore throttle bodies, and maybe a high performance intake setup with a MAF conversion, M30 AFM, larger injectors, custom silicon intake boot etc....
                      85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

Very true, ITB's are a bit extravagant.

D'bilas are nice but what I'm talking about are single units...6 45mm plates in an integral body using air bleeds to sync the idle.

If I reproduce them I'll tweak the design to work with 1.3 and include ICV function... New Motronic software would also be included.

Comment

m42 stuff pl0z

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
                            m42 stuff pl0z
                            What do you want for your M42? ...better yet, come down here and take a ride in mine...

(I'm working on a new manifold porting profile right now for the M42s)

Comment

I want go fast mods for my M42.

I do need to get it bored/stroked.

Comment

Working...
                              X