Shipping large car parts is going to get more expensive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shipping large car parts is going to get more expensive

Locally, here in Portland (and it seems in Boise and several other cities) Greyhound is shutting down their terminals in favor of curbside..

I know for me, I have used them multiple times to ship over size seats, body parts..etc because UPS/FedEx over charge and ultimately destroy larger items when I have tried to ship them in the past...

1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
    2016 Ford Flex
    2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
    Locally, here in Portland (and it seems in Boise and several other cities) Greyhound is shutting down their terminals in favor of curbside..

I know for me, I have used them multiple times to ship over size seats, body parts..etc because UPS/FedEx over charge and ultimately destroy larger items when I have tried to ship them in the past...
    Greyhound will be dead soon anyway.

Comment

Already cancelled their service in western canada too
      1988 Atlantisblau Euro/Japanese 325i Cabriolet
      1989 Schwartz 325i - now M50 powered! - now very dead
      1998 Toyota 4Runner Limited
      My 17,000km Big NA National Parks trip!

Comment

The rail system in the US is an embarrassment... hopefully one of the foreign countries thats doing it right can come in and bring us some high speed rails
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Not a huge loss. Greyhound has been cheaper than UPS one time for me over the last 2-3yrs and I ship hundreds of heavy parts all over the place.

If you create a UPS account through PayPal you can get a pretty hefty discount and can make labels without an attached transaction through Paypal while still using the discount. UPS also has a 40% off code on their website (easy) that is available most of the time. If you prefer a regular UPS account, most folks will get cleared for a nice standard discount if you create an account through UPS and reach out to your local account rep and ask for a discount.

Not it to mention creating Fedex labels through eBay using old transactions, and the obvious hefty USPS discount through PayPal.

UPS/Fedex: always cheaper than USPS for heavy stuff. USPS wins for light stuff (under 5lbs typically) and for first class (under 16oz).

The other trick for shipping super heavy stuff is: bikeflights.com

They have a special deal with UPS to waive oversized fees on huge, heavy packages.
          1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
          1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Problem is I’ve had really bad luck shipping large stuff with FedEx. It’s like they use the large boxes for Forklift Bowling.. And unless you get expedited service, it takes forever to just get from Oregon to Cali - forget across the country, might as well be sending it to the recipients heirs. UPS used to be my go to as well, but jacked the 3 day select rates up a little while back and started getting really slow on ground shipments. Those are some of the reasons I switched to using the bus when possible. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
            2016 Ford Flex
            2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Working...
            X