Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• varg
    replied
    Seems the performance issues are downstream of the site's servers, I don't have any issues. Threads usually take 5-10s to load at most, haven't noticed posting taking longer than that.

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    Im going to time this post and update it with how long it took to click reply and for it to show up...

GO!

Edit: 7.4 Seconds. Faster than a 0-60 time for an E30
    Yeah well I'm impatient.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post

Lol... I like that one. Way faster than the 316 I owned in the UK: It was a monster - 88hp, 11.5 seconds 0-60 and an 18 second quarter mile.

Mind you with only 990kg (2180 pounds) to lug around, it was still an entertaining drive.
    Definitely something great about lightweight cars. For the record, my MR2 also weighs the same amount 990kg / 2180 lbs, but with the 2ZZ motor its making somewhere in the neighborhood of 180bhp and its an absolute blast..

Back to the future of R3V... the best way to keep this place alive is for everyone to keep coming back and posting, no matter how pointless the posts are ...

Edit: That only took about 5 seconds to post

Leave a comment:

• lukeADE335i
    replied
    7.4 Seconds. Faster than a 0-60 time for an E30
    Lol... I like that one. Way faster than the 316 I owned in the UK: It was a monster - 88hp, 11.5 seconds 0-60 and an 18 second quarter mile.

Mind you with only 990kg (2180 pounds) to lug around, it was still an entertaining drive.

Leave a comment:

• TeXJ
    replied

Im going to time this post and update it with how long it took to click reply and for it to show up...

GO!

some E30s* haha

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by nando View Post
    Sorry, but the performance of this site is absolutely a factor in my reduced posting.

GO!

Leave a comment:

• mike.bmw
    replied
    Granted I've only been here for 5 years, but I remember when I couldn't keep up with the amount of posts each day. Now it seems that hours go by and the "New Topics" list doesn't have anything new. I love this site and as long as it's up, l'll continue to visit and post here. Thanks, James!

Leave a comment:

• lukeADE335i
    replied
    50mbps would have been darned quick in 1999 - what sort of connection was that? 20 bonded T1 lines or something? That same era we had a T1 pair at 3mbps at work, which was fine at the time and revolutionary vs dialup. We now have either 1Gbps or 10Gbps fibre, which is obviously fast.

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    Its as if we've forgotten what it was like to dial up to get internet... we're spoiled now. I dont mind, is it annoying? Yes. Will it stop me from coming here? No. Will it stop youngsters from joining? Probably
    Dude, I haven't had slower that 50mb internet since 1999, lol. TBH, other than absolute download speed - my modern connection feels way slower and has much higher latency. Thanks to throttling, the upload speed is actually slower.. did I mention it now costs 4x as much?

Anyway, my free time is limited. Between work and basically being teacher/principal all day for my kids, making dinner and trying not to totally ignore my family, I don't have the time to spend 5 minutes for a single post to load. Sorry, but the performance of this site is absolutely a factor in my reduced posting.

Leave a comment:

• agisthos
    replied
    I have setup a few Invision Power Board forums for some customers. IMO its the best forum software out there. The latest version (v4.5) also runs very well on modest server specs, better than v4.
    The community forum is helpful in resolving issues before lodging a support ticket with IPB themselves.

Your only issue is how complicated will the transfer from vBulletin to IPB be? There will always be a lot of issues to resolve, but the IPB community forums will have many posts of other users doing the same upgrade.

Leave a comment:

• lukeADE335i
    replied
    Its as if we've forgotten what it was like to dial up to get internet... we're spoiled now. I don't mind, is it annoying? Yes. Will it stop me from coming here? No. Will it stop youngsters from joining? Probably
    My fibre connection goes back to dial up speed if I exceed my data limits for the month... not happy times. I do miss the old modem sound when you dial in though

Leave a comment:

• roguetoaster
    replied
    It was just really bad timing, as the user base was lost to FB the site became worse to use. Ideally, this would be the time to get old users back, and make it very new user friendly so the site does noy simply die off.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Its as if we've forgotten what it was like to dial up to get internet... we're spoiled now. I dont mind, is it annoying? Yes. Will it stop me from coming here? No. Will it stop youngsters from joining? Probably

Leave a comment:

• mjweimer
    replied
    Originally posted by nando View Post

I'd post a lot more if it didn't take 5+ minutes to load a single thread. The change to this current layout definitely hurt I think, hopefully James has an update for us soon.

Absolutely and I cannot wait for the update.

Leave a comment:

• nando
    replied
    The problem isnt the cost of running the site as far as Im aware, just seems that many people arent contributing anymore. Luckily most of the information is still here and there are still some regular posters. I dont even have an E30 anymore but Im still here and actually have 2 active threads lol ... at least one of the two is a BMW
    I'd post a lot more if it didn't take 5+ minutes to load a single thread. The change to this current layout definitely hurt I think, hopefully James has an update for us soon.

Leave a comment:

• lukeADE335i
    replied
    Originally posted by e30austin View Post
    i think the bigger problem is, as these cars keep going up in value, so do the costs of parts and maintenance, and what was once a relatively cheap car to keep going and modify, is not quite the case anymore. my thoughts - i'm sure it caused a lot of folks who were members at one point, to cash out and move on to something else. if i were starting out as a young teenage fella wanting to get into an e30, i simply couldn't afford it. it's disheartening, on some level.
    This happens to most classics - they bottom out, the young enthusiasts start modding them, they start becoming rare and then the young enthusiasts get priced out, then there's a bubble (not sure we're quite there yet with normal e30s, but maybe we are) and then at some point they ultimately fall back to their long term value.

If I was starting out in BMWs now, the e46 probably fits the criteria that my e30 did back when I bought it in 2008. I work at a university, and recently some students were helping me load gear into my e92. They were enthusing about 3 series in general & I mentioned I had an old one that was my 'fun car' - they said what, an e36? When I said it was an e30 with a 3.5L they were amazed that a) I would have one / could afford it & b) managed to find the parts to modify such a classic?! I just pointed out that I'd had the car a long time.

Thanks to James for keeping the site going too - maybe it'll become like 2002faq, but there's loads of good information here to help keep e30s alive, and still a few affordable roughies around for the young enthusiasts to do major rust repairs on in their garages.

I do miss the old days of Trina, r3v hunting down e30 thieves etc

Leave a comment:

Working...
X