Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collision Damage Help + Reminder to Drive Safe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BaconMafia View Post
    I have no idea how much toe there is or the alignment. I did a rear subframe refresh back in April with oem rubber bushings, bilstein heavy duties and h&r oe sport springs. I'll take a look to see the condition of the bushings. I thought that the stock e30 subframe didn't allow for camber/toe adjustment other than lowering it or welding adjustment plates. Is that true?
    There is no adjustment from factory unfortunately and for this reason the rear alignment spec tolerance from factory is huge. There is no telling after 30 years where the alignment is without getting it checked out. Poor alignment, poor unpredictable handling. Some are lucky, Some are not.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
    @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
      I didn’t want to kick you while you’re down, best thing to do now is to fight insurance and get good money to have the car fixed.
      Insurance will likely give you a lowball value for the car. Try using values from cars sold on Bring-A-Trailer.
      sigpic
      1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
      1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
      1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

It's super unlikely that there's no frame damage with the quarter panel crunched that way. Everything's repairable with enough money and determination. Even if insurance wants to total it, I'm assuming you're fixing this because you intend to keep the car so I wouldn't be way too wary of a salvaged title. You can always play the game of finding a shop that'll write a quote low enough for them not to total the car, and then pay the difference out of pocket to have it fixed properly. Good luck

Edit: haven't been here in a while--no more signatures?
        The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
        Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
        2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
        2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
          Edit: haven't been here in a while--no more signatures?
          Think they still work, but you have to renew them, same for notifications for PMs, at least generally. Pretty sure the forum was expected to transition away from this format, but it hasn't happened yet.

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post

There is no adjustment from factory unfortunately and for this reason the rear alignment spec tolerance from factory is huge. There is no telling after 30 years where the alignment is without getting it checked out. Poor alignment, poor unpredictable handling. Some are lucky, Some are not.
            Thanks. Good to know. Just from eyeballing it, there seems to be a decent amount of camber even when it had stock springs. I'll put getting an alignment a priority on the list of to-do. This might be overkill but would an adjustable subframe/camber and toe correction brackets such as the ones Garagistic sells help if the alignment is off? If it is a good product, I'd be willing to save up for one since I recently was part of a scientific study that concluded not dying in a fiery car crash is sorta cool.

Originally posted by McGyver View Post

Insurance will likely give you a lowball value for the car. Try using values from cars sold on Bring-A-Trailer.
            Thanks for the tip. I'm still trying to determine the cost/benefit of getting an insurance check vs. increase in premiums. Thanks again though.

Originally posted by Vivek View Post
            It's super unlikely that there's no frame damage with the quarter panel crunched that way. Everything's repairable with enough money and determination. Even if insurance wants to total it, I'm assuming you're fixing this because you intend to keep the car so I wouldn't be way too wary of a salvaged title. You can always play the game of finding a shop that'll write a quote low enough for them not to total the car, and then pay the difference out of pocket to have it fixed properly. Good luck
            Thanks I'll need it. Frame bending was definitely part of the quote I received. The only saving grace from what I was told was that it was a high impact so the metal where the wheels/suspension mount is fine. I've pulled the interior and the trunk floor is fine. I plan on keeping this car for the rest of my life so I cannot really care less about title status but in my state, I'm pretty sure having a clean title makes things a-lot easier. I still have PTSD from my Honda motorcycle registration taking half a year lmao.

Comment

This is what I've learned from over a decade of E30ing.

For proper E30 rear alignment:
              Good subframe bushings
              Good diff bushing
              Get and alignment and see where you are with the ride height you want
              It would optimal if you could find a body shop to bend back into "Spec" if out of "spec"
              Then disassemble and weld in eccentrics for fine tuning
              Align and Rip

Now the factory rear alignment "spec" is so huge because there is no adjustment, just additional tolerance. (Rear Tow -0°04' to 0°26)
              You want no toe out what so ever, this will cause the instability, aim for some toe in.

Camber is all about what you want to do with the car -.5 to -2.75.

If you buy a subframe / Axle carrier with the eccentrics ready, you may or may not get the desired alignment you're looking for.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
              @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Move up to the 15's with ~205's. Made all the difference with handling and traction on wet road. Riding on 14's scarred the crap out of me.

Comment

I know, old thread but I thought I'd post an update.

The car has been fixed since late spring and been working great since then. It got a new quarter, tail panel and all of the little pieces that got damaged. Paint doesn't quite match up but oh well, I'll just respray the whole thing later down. I moved up to 15 inch wheels with Yokohama 205/55s and the car really grips and handles great especially after putting in a e46 ZHP rack. The suspension turns out it has been in spec all this time.

I'm still pissed at myself for letting it happened but I am so happy to have it back and thankful that nobody got hurt in the wreck.

Now time to plan an itb stroker build.....

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1916 LQ.jpg Views:	0 Size:	92.6 KB ID:	10037810
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1408 LQ.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	10037818
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	image_163743.jpg Views:	4 Size:	92.0 KB ID:	10037811
                  Last edited by BaconMafia; 11-24-2021, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Congrats! Good to see you got it back on the road!!
                    sigpic

Comment

Happy to see you saved it!
                      Mine also went to the bodyshop and had the quarter panel replaced properly.

Comment

Working...
                      X