July 2021 Car of the Month: uturn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

July 2021 Car of the Month: uturn

*** Editors Note: First off, so sorry this is so late. My fault. Joe and I have chatted quite a bit as he's more of an old school guy who has kept his car forever, never posted anything about it and yet has an amazing story. Its cars and stories like that that makes me wish every member would post a build thread as there isnt one for this car, but look at the history and its pretty awesome. Notice the improvement in photo quality as the car transforms...
    Congrats Joe! You're July's Car of the Month***

Factory options: US spec 325is w/black leather interior

Color: Alpine White w/Delfin grey MT2

Interior color: Anthracite

Engine modifications: Stock M20

Exhaust: Supersprint muffler

Transmission: Stock transmission w/E36 shifter

Differential: 4.10 LSD

Suspension:
    E36 Steering Rack
    Factory MT2 springs
    Bilstein Sport Struts and Shocks
    Powerflex CAB and RSTM

Wheels: Breyton 16” wheels

Exterior modifications:
    MT2 body kit installed in 2009
    Euro grilles
    JDM city headlights
    Airpress rear plate filler

Interior modifications:
    Recaro LS front seats
    MT2 steering wheel
    MT foot rest
    Gauge Cluster rebuilt by Bavarian Restoration
    Original stereo w/working tape deck
    Kicker 5.25" speakers front and rear

Story behind the car: Replied to a San Francisco Craigslist ad, I was the third person to call. The first was a high school kid which she didn't feel comfortable selling to, the second was a company that wanted to charge a fee to take it away.

The car was purchased for her by the husband. Since the divorce, she finished law school, changed apartments and purchased a brand new BMW. This car was left at the old apartment and after several months, the landlord needed her to move it. I couldn't replace the battery until I got rid of a huge hornets nest at the seam of the trunk and the tail light. That took me at least an hour.

I was working in San Diego but was on temporary assignment in San Francisco at the time. This was in 2003.

Timing belt and tune up, the car remained stock for the next six years riding on 14" basketweaves, except for that one time when I left it in a friend's care while I was in Japan.

2007 - I sourced a couple MT2 cars in Japan, stripped them down and bought their MT2 bits back to the states.

2009 - I dragged my feet but eventually everything was installed in time to make it to the last E30 Picnic held at the Issaquah XXX Drive In.

2010 - Left Washington and made it back to Texas... been here ever since.

Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Awesome car and story
    "Dolphins aren't so smart, they can't even engineer an E-diff"

Comment

I really like the two tone. Never would have thought it would work but it just does.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Originally posted by Reichart12 View Post
        I really like the two tone. Never would have thought it would work but it just does.
        Thanks, was keeping with the JDM color scheme of the late '80/early '90s.

Comment

It's cool to see this story - because I was at that E30 picnic at the XXX in 2009! If I remember, it rained, and I had spent hours cleaning my car for no reason, lol. I only went once after in 2010, and hadn't been back again until this year. There were so many cars it's hard to remember them all from 10 years ago, but I'm sure I would have stared at any original Mtech-2 kit back then. I like hearing that some of these are still around after all these years - I know many that are sadly, not.

BTW, that XXX burger.. I did it once (or twice?). I still have nightmares.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Good looking car!

Very deserving for a COTM. The two-tone tech-2 just works, and the fact that some came like that just cements the fact that it's timeless.
            Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Love this! Can we have more pictures of those seats? I haven't seen those in E30's before.
              Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Love the transformation. Although i think the 2 tone scheme is best suited for a 70-90s Japanese car like my 73 RX3....Click image for larger version

Name:	HR7x3HP.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	10024375
                1993 325iC
                1998 M3
                1987 535iS

Comment

Originally posted by arcpolo View Post
                  Love the transformation. Although i think the 2 tone scheme is best suited for a 70-90s Japanese car like my 73 RX3....Click image for larger version  Name:	HR7x3HP.jpg Views:	0 Size:	76.8 KB ID:	10024375
                  The 2-tone Mtech-2 is literally the way Japanese E30s (with the Mtech-2 kit) came from the factory. Sooo, yeah?

BTW, is that your car? Looks sweet!
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Yep, it has a large street port 13B with a 4 barrel Holley Carb and T2 tranny, 260whp 9k rpm and around 1500 lbs.
                    1993 325iC
                    1998 M3
                    1987 535iS

Comment

Yep, it has a large street port 13B with a 4 barrel Holley Carb and T2 tranny, 260whp 9k rpm and around 1500 lbs.
                      You need to share more details of that car in its own thread.... WOW
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:
                      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Love the car and the build! I want to see more of those seats!

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

You need to share more details of that car in its own thread.... WOW
                          It was featured in Super Street a while back

1993 325iC
                          1998 M3
                          1987 535iS

Comment

Wankel.... mmmmm.... mmmmm.... good

Comment

Congrats on COTM!

Comment

Working...
                              X