E46 M3 Wagon ~ Mindy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E46 M3 Wagon ~ Mindy

This, unfortunately is a latergram. I wanted a place to share the story of my e46 build and well r3v>e46fanatics (in my heart).

Right at the early onset of the pandemic I heard a friend mention he wanted to buy a "nice blue manual wagon" on craigslist. I was currently daily driving a turbo/manual Volvo 240 wagon that was ok.. but I decided that after finishing my breakfest waffle I would jump on craigslist to see what car my friend was talking about.

I did not find the wagon he mentioned but just an hour prior a green sport package manual wagon had shown up for a great deal. HMMM. I thought for 3-8 seconds before texting the owner. Normally I couldn't own two cars at once with the parking situation in SF but a cheap manual/sport wagon was hard to pass up and with the pandemic doing it's thing, they had stopped enforcing parking in my neighborhood (ie no pass needed).

Well about 2 hours later, this showed up in my life:

(I "low balled" him $250 under asking)

I immediately fell in love with this wagon. It reminded my on the honeybadger, my 6 speed swapped 325xi e46 wagon. The Volvo soon fell out of DD status when I blew up the infamous M47 transmission and so I started driving the e46. It also worked out that I had a new special someone in my life that really favored the non-smelly e46 vs the smelly volvo 245 - LOL

(parked next to my buddy's manual 528i)

The car did have some quirks that needed to be addressed, including an oil leak, an oil pressure light that started coming on (uh-oh), some control arm bushings and an electric cooling fan.

Chasing down the the oil pressure issue, I replaced the sensor but that didn't help, also it developed from just an oil pressure light to a random tick on startup once in a blue moon. Crap. It drove fine and I ultimately traced down an oil leak to a vanos line banjo that had been crushed during vanos service. Once I replaced that things seem to be OK. I continued driving the e46 around even after fixing the volvo wagon... but ultimately didn't need two cars.

(wagon things)

I had promised myself TO NOT MOD THIS CAR. IT WAS PERFECT. NO MODS JULIEN!!! Ok maybe just some sidemarkers:

Being somewhat (occasionally?) fiscally responsible I decided to list the Volvo wagon for sale. A minute or two after listing it, I edited the add to read "will trade for s54." A couple days went by and no real interest. The issue with the car was that it was not California legal, due to its turbo motor swap. Being a late model 245 wagon with an earlier model 740 turbo engine stopped the idea of BAR (making the car legal in CA) right in Its tracks. To legally swap a car in California, you must have the donor engine from a car the same year or newer with all emissions intact. The Volvo wasn't any of those words. Luckily after about a week I get a call from someone in Phoenix who is super interested in the car. He said he had a buddy of his, that was local to me, who could come check out the car. That buddy called an hour later to firm up some details and a meeting was set. Right before going to be I get another call from him saying "uhh I see you want an s54, will you take my project M3 in trade?" My mind said "NO" but my voice said "YES"

I showed up with the Volvo to his house, let him look it over and got the nod of approval

I then went to go look at the M3. A salvage title 120k mile manual shell with no rear floorboard. The subframe had ripped the floorboard (aka RACP) so badly it had to be meticulously cut out of the car and replaced. Unfortunately for him and fortunately for me, he ran out of steam and let the car sit.

No gas tank, nothing was left bolted to the back of the car. Luckily it was all included with the sale

I even got free delivery!!

How cool is this, I thought to myself. I guess my wagon is not staying stock - LOL.

First order of business was to rage weld the junkyard RACP that he had given me with the car so I could get wheels back under it

Got a little help from Pete, as my welding skills aren't great.

This was in no means to be a valid repair, as the shell was trashed but just something so I could bolt a subframe to it.

A few nights later I decided to swap out the rear subframes, thinking that I'd park the car there until I finished the swap. Reason for this is the e46 rear differential uses a different input shaft than the e46 m3, so the driveshaft would have to be carried over. For the driveshaft to be carried over I'd need a 6 speed transmission vs the 5 speed in the car (6 speed gearbox is longer)

That was completed around 8 PM.. at which point I had a dumb idea. Why not swap trans so I can drive this thing home

(dumb idea face)

Dmitiry/Kronus had come over with the intent of letting me borrow his car for a while.. but instead we rage-yeeted a 6 speed in my wagon that night (note: hazy ipas)

and here she was at 11PM as a 6 speed

I really loved this setup. M54b25 (2.5 liter) engine with the 6 speed and shorter differential really made the car move. I *gasp* had somewhat given up on the s54 swap and decided to just do front sway bar and m3 brakes to balance out the car:

I started to feel a little urgency to get rid of some of the leftover parts and unload the shell. I listed all the M3 leftover bits on craigslist and ultimately found someone to buy the whole package... a little too soon, it turns out.

For now the S54 sat there, sort of in the way.

I mentioned my intentions to Dmitiry that I wanted to keep the m54 and he replied with
    "🎺🎺🎺🎺🎺🎺"

UGHHH OK. Lucky for me I share a spot with a certain someone who had done an s54 swap. They were able to point me to someone that could locally do the EWS delete and "virginize" my instrument cluster.
    Soon I dropped off my ECU and instrument cluster and took both of their advice to do rod bearings. Records show the car previously had the service but that was over 80k ago.

Fortunately for me, I took that advice because according to Kalim I was "0 miles away from spinning a rod" Ugh look at that #6 rod bearing:

Luckily the crankshaft journal had survived unscathed.

A few weeks later it was time!

Evac the R-134a out of the AC

and out in two hours(-ish)

Hey, it's me!

Had to swap the 6 speed back on to the S54 along with a super low mileage OE clutch/flywheel

Install was the reverse of the removal, with some extra expletives

Unfortunately, she didn't start :'( Turns out that I had forgotten the O2 sensor harness in the donor car. I thought these were part of the chassis but I had made a mistake. While waiting for the harness to come in from ebay, I installed the washer bottle in the battery compartment and also extended all the wiring harnesses for the coolant level sensor, et cetera.

With that all done I went on a mini-vacay to Lake Tahoe and waited for the o2 harness (which inhibited the car from starting) to show up.

Build Threads:
    Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

While up in Tahoe I saw that Fedex had delivered the harness to my apartment in SF. WOOO. Turns out my lady friend needed some time to work on something so I could drive the 4 hours down the hill, get the harness, install it.. and maybe drive back up? I had borrowed a friend's lovely ZHP for the trip, which I also wanted to return. 8-9AM I left Tahoe, stopped by somewhere random to buy used H&R coilovers, then pitstop at my apartment and then down the peninsula to the shop.

Engine bay tidied up

and WOOOOOHOOOOOOO she fired up!!! I'm not sure but I'm sure some of you noticed I had not mentioned exhaust.. Well I actually borrowed bimmerman's old e36 swap exhaust and tossed it in. It was designed for an e36 m3 but fit, sorta. My heart was racing. OH MY GOD, THIS THING DRIVES, SHOULD I GO BACK UP TO TAHOE?. I took it around the block and ugh, misfire on Cyl 1. I rage swapped coils and spark plugs between Cyl 1 & 3 and it all cleared up *shrug*. Due to a mix of extreme excitement, cocksureness and stupidity, I picked up a falafel and headed back up to Lake Tahoe from San Mateo at 6 PM. First thing I did was merge onto highway 101 where a C43 AMG decided to cut me off and floor it. Turns out I paced him well into speeds that no other green e46 wagon had previously gone. The look in his eyes seeing a BMW station wagon pacing him (I don't tail gate) was PRICELESS. Long story short I made it at 10 PM back up the hill with zero issues!

Over the next few weeks I fixed some more issues with the car, such as filling up the a/c

Tearing apart my trunk to install the H&R coilovers.

They were WAYYYY too stiff. I took them back off within the week, she got replacement sport struts instead on factory sport springs.

Finally sorted the exhaust. Went with a M3 section 1 & 2 with a ZHP back box. Sounded puuuuurfect.

Did some more wagon things (may have pulled on a dodge charge with the couch in the trunk, heh.

The car was driving absolutely great but there was something that was bugging me. VANOS. The M3's variable valve timing aka VANOS was a failure-prone item on the s54 motor. I spent many bucks on an upgraded cam gear from VAC as well as all the seals from Beisan systems. Turns out it wasn't a moment too soon:

That ear had completely sheered off the cam gear.

Upgraded part:

The car was destined to be my forever car but sadly I injured my back around Christmas. I had a hard time sleeping because of it, which made things worse. The mix of sport suspension and lack of upper back support made driving Mindy very very painful :( This pain, which was nerve related lasted for months and months. I broke down and decided to replace mind :'(

I made a pretty incognito post on the local e46 page and got someone to commit to buying her if she passed bar. He came by, looked over the car and gave me a deposit. The next day I went and bought Lizzie and have been super happy since:

Since I didn't have two parking spaces I had to unload Mindy quickly, Luckily for me I had a BAR appointment set of the following Monday. This would basically be a pass/fail to make the car legal in California with its engine swap. I showed up, super worried they'd fail the car for some reason. I had previously submitted a bunch of documentation electronically and now it was time for the dyno run (to measure Co2)/visual inspection. The man who did the BAR test LOVED the car and I can see he really wanted her to pass. He told me he wouldn't know the results of the test until he hit submit on his computer and let the state decided if everything was kosher. He did warn me that because the car took a long time on the Dyno test, it's possible it had polluted too much :(

I waited in anticipation as he hit enter...

and I saw him clench his fist and go "YESSS!"

SHE PASSSSED!!!!!!

I called up the new owner and dropped off the car an hour later.

And that is the Mindy story. She was named Mindy because she was minty green, or minty Mindy.

If you enjoyed this one, read up on the black car :)

Last edited by Julien; 08-25-2021, 03:47 PM.
    Build Threads:
    Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

I almost S54 swapped my car because of you but the M54B30, 5-speed and 3.46 is a fun combo
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Nice write-up! It was fun seeing this car come together and being a part of it.
        -Kalim

British Racing Green, IE Springs/Bilsteins, IE exhaust, IE SSK,
        Momo shift knob, Miller MAF conversion, K&N intake,
        Blackworks Aluminum Radiator, 5MT swapped,
        Ellipsoids w/DDM HIDs, OEM Recaro Sports, Momo Mod07 Wheel,
        Drilled+Slotted Rotors, Alpine HU/Amp/speakers, 12" enclosed sub

Comment

Nice! Send the next one my way
          sigpic84 325e

Comment

Originally posted by Julien View Post
            I installed the washer bottle in the battery compartment
            What an odd way to spell "drug bin"

Idk why I keep seeing these E46 tourings here on r3v, but each post makes me want one a little more.
            Originally posted by priapism
            My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
            Originally posted by shameson
            Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post

Idk why I keep seeing these E46 tourings here on r3v, but each post makes me want one a little more.
              Its as close as we can get to trucks, which is what R3V is REALLY about now...

Simon
              Current Cars:

Comment

Do you have a build thread on that waffle?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                  Do you have a build thread on that waffle?

Whos waffle?
                  Simon
                  Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post

Whos waffle?
                    Blue's Waffle

That waffle does look pretty durn good though.

Comment

Haha no way! I knew I recognized that car instantly. Neil, who you bought the car from, is a long time buddy of mine and we had some really fun road trips in that car. I helped him overhaul the cooling system at some point too. We called it the Mint Julep and we always sang it's praises. Cool to see that it ended up with an S54 but also a bummer that you had to let it go. Fun read!

--Roundie Revival 2.0 - 1973 BMW 2002 Build Thread--
                      --Golden Boy E30 Build Thread-- (sold)

Comment

This must be a new series of "R3V SHORTS"
                        Quick reads from the quick traders

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                        @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                          This must be a new series of "R3V SHORTS"
                          Quick reads from the quick traders
                          shout out to you two, man i still love the forums
                          We're out there in here.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	lol.png
Views:	484
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	10030666

Julien, we all knew you'd do it even though you commented in 2017 it would never happen. How dare you lie to R3V!!!!

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
                            1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
                            1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
                            1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
                            1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
                            1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
                            Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
                            1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
                            1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

I like the M54 in my touring.
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

Working...
                              X