E30 from Ukraine - "Shadow of Intelligence"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Collection_123. ETK_51_Body equipment. Instrument panel cladding

Finally, I got to the torpedo installation!
    Dashboard trim

The parts are large, so they all did not fit on the table at once.
    First, the torpedo itself:

Part No. 1 - instrument panel lining (51 45 1 941 532). Most cars are black. There were exclusive configurations in which the torpedo was covered with natural leather. There were also gray variants, but they are extremely rare. On diesel cars, the torpedo has additional noise insulation. I already wrote about its gluing earlier in the section on conditioner.
    Part #2 - rubber buffer (51 45 1 917 675) - 2 pcs. Rubber drawer buffer for small items. In the photo, they are installed on the torpedo.

Part No. 3 - bracket (51 45 1 852 827) - 1 pc. A metal clip for fastening the torpedo in the center under the windshield. It is absent on some cars, most on touring cars.
    Part No. 4 - self-tapping screw ST6.3X16 (07 11 9 916 966) - 1 pc. Fastening of the torpedo under the steering column.
    Part No. 5 - sheet nut ST6,3-1 (07 12 9 925 742) - 1 pc. Fastening of the torpedo under the steering column.
    Part No. 6 (No. 24) - M6 nut holder (51 45 1 885 649) - 4 pcs. Torpedo mounting on the sides.
    Part No. 7 (No. 23) - bolt M6X12 (07 11 9 904 459) - 4 pcs. Torpedo mounting on the sides.

Steering wheel cover and lining of the box for small things:

Part #8 - ANTHRAZIT lower left lining (51 45 1 917 355). Most cars are black. The Edition configuration can be gray SILBER or blue INDIGO. It also differs depending on the configuration of the car - with a headlight tilt regulator and a place for the on-board computer gong. It is also significantly different for cars with an airbag. It has additional noise insulation for diesel cars. In my version - with a headlight tilt regulator and a place for an on-board computer gong, and with additional "diesel" noise insulation.
    Part No. 9 - lower right lining (51 45 1 906 932). Plastic shield covering the heater body.
    Part No. 10 (No. 16) - sheet nut B3.9 (51 13 1 914 097) - 1 pc. Fastening the shield to the torpedo.
    Part No. 11 - self-tapping screw ST3.9X16 (07 11 9 906 745) - 1 pc. Fastening the shield to the torpedo.
    Part No. 12 - locking clip (51 45 1 914 869) - 3 pcs. Fastening the casing (#1) to the torpedo. In ETK, for some reason, three different numbers, different clips are indicated - but this number is correct. One clip is not indicated at all - the one that fixes the cover to the steering column (51 71 1 916 197) - it can be seen in the photo.
    Part No. 13 - bracket (51 45 1 906 532), fastening of the casing below to the steering column.

Part No. 14 - the cover of the box for small items (51 16 1 911 985). Plastic shield covering the Motronic ECU.
    Part No. 15 - self-tapping screw ST3.9X13 (07 14 7 202 502) - 2 pcs. Fastening the shield to the torpedo.
    Part No. 16 (No. 10) - leaf nut B3.9 (51 13 1 914 097) - 1 pc. Fastening the shield to the torpedo.
    Part No. 17 - locking clip (51 71 1 916 197) - 2 pcs. Attachment of shields.

Part No. 18 - dashboard lining overlay (62 11 1 370 657). Plastic overlay.
    Part #19...21 - not used.
    Part No. 22 - nut (62 14 8 480 019) - 2 pcs. Aluminum nut for fastening the lining.
    Detail No. 25 - a ceiling light for the box for small things.
    Part #26...35 - only for the cover with an airbag. In this case, they are not used.
    Part #36 - I'm not sure, but maybe it's an analogue of bracket #3.

So, we start the installation with a torpedo. We install bracket No. 3 in the center of the torpedo.

It should fit into a special bracket under the windshield.

Install lock nuts No. 6 on the sides in the brackets on the body.

The torpedo is attached to them with its side brackets.

A bracket for attaching a torpedo under the steering column with a self-tapping screw. Above the steering column, glue an "anti-squeak" strip to the torpedo.

Attaches to this bracket on the body.

There is another bracket on the bottom center of the torpedo, but I will write about it later - the torpedo console is attached to it.

So, all the air ducts and nozzles are already installed in the torpedo, so we push it into its place so as to snap the clip under the windshield. I had to remove the linings of the front roof racks, because they were in the way. Zarazom glued strips of "anti-squeak" to them at the bottom. It is more convenient to do it with an assistant, but I always put it myself... a little inconvenient, but I put it.
    Importantly! Before installing the torpedo, be sure to install the plastic lining of the steering column. Otherwise, it will not be installed later. I know this from my first experience installing a torpedo - I had to remove it again! :)

On the left, together with the torpedo, the ABS ECU mounting bracket is screwed (I wrote about this earlier). We fix the torpedo wiring with a clamp on the torpedo bracket.

Under the steering column, together with the torpedo, the second ABS ECU mounting bracket is screwed (I wrote about this earlier). The ABS relay is installed and connected to it.

We install it on the brackets and connect the ABS ECU. Compactly lay all the wiring.

The airbag ECU is installed above the ABS ECU. But, judging by everything, you need to install some of your own brackets for it. I don't have them yet, so I'll install it later... I won't plug it in anyway.

We fix the harnesses above the instrument panel with clamps, remove all the connectors that go to the instrument panel.

Next, we fix with clamps all the wiring harnesses, except for the wiring of the radio and button connectors, under the central air duct.

On the right, together with the torpedo, the bracket of the Motronic ECU is screwed.

The second bracket of the Motronic ECU is screwed above the box for small items. But first you need to screw the cruise control ECU bracket to it, and install the ECU unit itself.

Then put the whole assembly under the torpedo and screw it to the bracket on the body and the torpedo. We install the Motronic ECU, lay the wiring and connect all the connectors.

We connect the lamp shade in the shield, the backlight button, install the plastic shields, fasten them to the torpedo with self-tapping screws and to each other with clips.

We install the straps of the box for small things.

We lay the wiring through a special hole to the flashlight connector so that it does not get pinched when closing the box.
    I still have the wiring to the anti-radar ;)

We hang the box on a strap. We screw the hinge of the box to the pins on the body and adjust it so that the lock closes normally. We install a flashlight (82 11 9 413 237).

Chargeable hand lamp

A drawer for small things is installed.

We install the central frame with heater controls, connect the radio, on-board computer and buttons.

Everything is installed on the right. Even anti-radar! :)

We put the plastic bracket on the steering wheel cover. The photo shows additional "diesel" sound insulation.

We snap the bracket onto the steering column tube, insert the end of the casing between the metal plates on the motor shield. We install the gong of the on-board computer in the casing, connect the headlight regulator and its backlight. Fasten the casing with three clips to the torpedo and one clip to the steering column.
    We install and connect the light switch on the cover under the instrument panel, which we fasten with two nuts.

The torpedo is installed. Now I'm installing her console.​

Comment

Collection_124. ETK_51_Body equipment. Department for small things

We install the torpedo console.
      Compartment for small items

Detail #1 - department for small things (51 16 1 941 830). Most cars are black. There were exclusive configurations in which the console was covered with natural leather. The Edition configuration can be gray SILBER or blue INDIGO. It also differs depending on the configuration of the machine - with cutouts for the front and/or rear power window buttons. The location of these buttons for before restyling and after restyling is also different. It has additional noise insulation for diesel cars. In my version - with cutouts for front and rear electric windows, and with additional "diesel" noise insulation.
      I had an ammeter built into my console, but after installing the air conditioner, there was no room for it behind the console, and it rested against the air conditioner. Therefore, I had to change the console. It was lucky to find it in perfect condition, but for restyling.

I had to cut holes in it for all the buttons. It is good that there are factory stampings on the inner part that need to be cut.

On the left is the console after restyling - it has places for all six buttons of the power windows, including the automatic fuse button. On the right is the console before the restyling - it has places for only five buttons for power windows, but without the button for the automatic fuse. It is installed above the radio on the right.

It is noticeable that in the photo on the left, the buttons are more shifted back.

But that's not all. If you have a phone with a "hands-free" system, according to the EBA factory instructions, the microphone is installed in the place of the air conditioner button. But if there is also an air conditioner, there is a "plan B" - the microphone crashes into the console according to the template from the instructions. So, let's cut further! :)

All the holes are cut out, the microphone is installed, "anti-scrape" strips are pasted over the places of docking with the torpedo and the central console.

Since I have additional original "diesel" sound insulation installed on the torpedo and on the under-wheel casing, we are also turning the console into a "diesel" one! ;)

Part No. 2 (No. 3+No. 4) - front ashtray ANTHRAZIT (51 16 1 904 808). There were exclusive configurations in which the ashtray was covered with black, gray or brown natural leather.
      Part No. 3 - front ashtray (51 16 1 911 696). It consists of several parts - a box, a cover, metal inserts and light guides for illumination.

In assembly There are traces of corrosion left on the metal insert, I'll probably cover them with "anti-squeak" or some kind of fabric - I won't allow anyone to smoke in the car anyway! :) Or I'll buy a "pocket" (#14).

Part #4 - front ashtray frame (51 16 1 906 887).
      Part No. 5 - self-tapping screw B3.9X16MM (51 13 1 879 479) - 2 pcs. For fixing the frame.
      Part No. 6 - M6 plastic nut (16 13 1 176 747) - 1 pc. For attaching the console to the body.
      Part No. 7 - bracket (51 16 1 904 785). For attaching the console to the body.
      Part No. 8 (No. 11) - self-tapping screw ST4.2X13 (07 11 9 907 939) - 2 pcs. For attaching the bracket to the console.

Part No. 9 - locking clip (51 16 1 932 255) - 2 pcs. For attaching the console to the heater body on the sides.
      Part No. 10 - bracket (51 16 1 916 508). For attaching the console to the torpedo.
      Part No. 11 (No. 8) - self-tapping screw ST4.2X13 (07 11 9 907 939) - 1 pc. For attaching the bracket to the console.
      Part No. 12 - sheet nut ST4,8-1 (07 12 9 925 735) - 1 pc. For attaching the console to the torpedo.
      Part No. 13 - self-tapping screw ST4.8X16 (07 11 9 901 299) - 1 pc. For attaching the console to the torpedo.

Item No. 14 - compartment for small items (72 60 1 942 786). It is installed instead of an ashtray. A kind of "package for non-chicken lovers" ;) Still available to order. Maybe later I will order it for my collection :) Photo from the Internet:

So, we screw the brackets.

We install a frame with a cigarette lighter and an ashtray.

We connect the microphone, cigarette lighter and ashtray lighting, install the console under the torpedo. We connect and install all the buttons of the electric windows. We fix the console with a plastic nut to the pin on the body.

In the photo, you can see the connector for the reverse lights, and the added connector for lighting the gear shift knob - there will be a separate entry about this.
      We screw the console to the lower bracket of the torpedo.

We fix the console to the air conditioner body with clips on the sides. On the right, this clip simultaneously fixes the plastic shield of the torpedo.

The console is installed.

According to the year of manufacture of the car, the button for the automatic fuse of the electric windows should be installed above the radio on the right. But, firstly, I no longer have room for it there, and secondly, I could not find a console in good condition for restyling. Therefore, I have this button installed, as on restyling - in the console, together with other buttons of the window regulators. It is even more convenient, more logical, and more beautiful, in my opinion.
      I wrote a long time ago about noise isolation of the gearbox (51 48 1 913 064) in the corresponding section.

Finally, it can be installed in place.

Well, I also installed the frame with the gearbox lever cover, but I will write about it later.

Next, I install the central console.​

Comment

Assembly_125. ETK_51_Body equipment. Center console

We install the central console.
        Center console

Part #1 - console for ANTHRAZIT cassettes (51 16 1 913 843). Most cars are black. There were exclusive configurations in which the console was covered with natural leather. The Edition configuration can be gray SILBER or blue INDIGO. It also differs depending on the configuration of the car - with a "pocket" for small items, or with a cut-out for a cassette holder, and with cut-outs for seat heating buttons, electric blinds, and the automatic transmission mode regulator. In my version - with a cut-out for the cassette deck and with cut-outs for seat heating buttons and electric blinds.
        Part #2 - not used.
        Part No. 3 - spacer (51 16 1 943 121) - 1 pc.
        Part #4 - plastic nut M6 (16 13 1 176 747) - 1 pc.
        Part No. 5 - rear ashtray (51 16 1 904 809). It consists of a box and a lid. In my case, it is not used for its intended purpose, as I will never allow anyone to smoke in my car! :) That's why I installed two buttons for heating the rear seats in the ashtray cover. ;)
        Part No. 6 - backlight lamp cartridge (64 11 1 366 170) - 1 pc.

Installation is simple. We install and connect seat heating buttons and electric blinds, ashtray lighting lamp. We insert the hooks of the central console into the holes on the torpedo console, put the console on the handbrake lever, press it to the carpet and fix it with a plastic nut through the spacer to the pin on the body. Insert the rear ashtray. In my case, we are still installing and connecting the buttons for heating the rear seats.

Now you can also install the handbrake lever cover, which I already wrote about a long time ago. Simply snaps into the console with staples.

I have several different original cassette decks, but I have a phone installed in their place. And I will write about cassette players later, a separate entry. We connect and install the phone.

All parts of the torpedo are installed and connected. In addition to the instrument panel.

Now I have more buttons on my E30 than on a piano! :)

Next, I install the instrument panel and front seats and go to the next level - the engine! ;) Or maybe BBS...​

Comment

Collection_126. ETK_62_Control devices. Control devices

So, the section
          Instruments

Unit
          Instruments

I only removed the speedometer from the dash board as I needed to replace the odometer gears. There was no need to remove other devices.

Part #1 - speedometer (62 12 1 381 706). Available with a scale in km/h or miles/h (for the USA). The scale is marked up to 220 km/h, or up to 240 km/h.
          Part No. 2 (No. 3) is a tachometer (62 13 1 374 877). Different models of engines have a different "red zone" scale. For 4-cylinder models, it was available as an additional option and was installed instead of the clock. For "older" models, the clock in the instrument panel was not available.
          Detail #4 - tachometer without an econometer. Not used in this case.
          Part No. 5 - fuel consumption indicator (62 13 1 376 717). The econometer was available only together with the tachometer. Sometimes there is a clock with an econometer scale.
          Part #6 - fuel flow meter (62 13 1 374 824) The basic device has a scale in liters - 55 liters before restyling, or 60 liters after restyling. Not used in this case.
          Part No. 7 fuel flow meter for cars with an additional tank (62 13 1 381 323). Earlier I wrote about the additional tank. I decided not to install the tank itself yet, but the wiring and device for it are installed. The device has two scales in "volume fractions" - the main tank and an additional one.
          Part #8 - remote thermometer (62 13 1 374 816). Engine temperature indicator.

All devices can be of two manufacturers - VDO or Motometer. In my case it is Motometer.

For the past several months I have been driving with a broken odometer. Its gears often fail due to old age. So, we unscrew four self-tapping screws and remove the speedometer from the board.
          Motometer

And here is the reason - a small drive gear without teeth.

The next brown gear is also missing teeth.

To access the gears, remove the upper transparent cover.
          When trying to remove the gear, it cracked! Although, they are removed very easily.

The next green gear looked like it had completely "melted"... And it also broke into pieces.

Lower black gear targets.

The small drive gear had to be simply scraped off the axle piece by piece.

So, you need to replace the gears. The number of teeth is indicated on them.
          Brown 44/17, green 38/23.

Black 31/11 and 33/26.

Small drive gear 12.

The gears simply fit freely on the axle. A small drive gear is put on the axle tightly so that it does not scroll.
          After replacing the gears, I had the idea to "reset" the mileage... say - criminal! :)
          The dashboard is definitely not from this car, and the mileage on it is still not true.

241359 km - in fact, it is much larger, so there is "nothing to lose" here! ;)
          At first I tried turning the odometer back by hand....but at 150,000 miles it would take several days! :) Then I tried turning mechanically with an electric dremel - it was much faster, but the teeth on the gear began to wear out very quickly and they would be enough for a maximum of several thousand kilometers :) I had to change one more black gear...

But then, thanks to the advice of a teammate, I understood how to do it easier and faster!
          Unscrew the second transparent cover and coil.

We bend the bracket of the coil so that the axis of the white gears of the odometer does not rest against it.

On the other hand, the axis is flared. I had to turn it a little with a dremel so that it came out of the hole.

We take out the axle and deflect it so that the white gears come out of engagement with the odometer.

Now freely set all "zeros" on the odometer and align all the white gears.

We insert the axis in its place, screw the coil and transparent covers. It is not necessary to roll it - it rests against the coil bracket and will not be able to fall out of the hole by itself.
          Reset the lower counter by pressing the lever. Now the odometer works again and it has "zero" mileage! ;)

New life - a new countdown! ;)

Isn't that legal?... :)​

Comment

Collection_127. ETK_62_Control devices. Instrument cluster details

There are two manufacturers of instrument panels - VDO and Motometer. In both cases, there are two types of panels - before 86 and after 86. They differ mainly in the SI board, the "oilservice/inspection" scale and the encoder.
            By 86, the scale has 5 green, 1 yellow and 3 red LEDs. A mechanical encoder for the tachometer is installed.
            After '86 the gauge has 5 green LEDs, 1 yellow and 1 red, also added the "annual service" symbol in the form of a clock between the "oilservice inspection" inscriptions. An electronic encoder for the tachometer is installed.

Unit
            Instrument combination details

Part #1 - instrument panel (62 11 1 372 221). In the version for "younger" models with a clock, the glass and case have an additional hole for the button to adjust the hands of the clock. There is no such hole in panels with a tachometer.
            Part #2 - overlay (62 11 1 368 8720. Decorative plastic frame.
            Part No. 3 - self-tapping screw ST2.9X16 (07 11 9 902 423) - 2 pcs. For fastening the instrument panel.

Part No. 4 - self-tapping screw ST2.9X9.5 (07 11 9 902 399) - 2 pcs. and self-tapping screw B2.9X23 (62 11 1 372 267) - 2 pcs. For fixing the frame. Very important! Do not confuse long self-tapping screws with short ones! The long ones are twisted at the bottom along the edges, and the short ones are at the bottom in the middle! If you twist longer self-tapping screws in the middle, they will damage the tracks on the SI board. You can see it in the photo below - someone before me has already mixed them up! :)

Part No. 5 - instrument panel board (62 11 1 372 255)
            Part No. 6 - SI board ( 62 11 1 394 267). There are cases without an "oilservice/inspection" scale, but I have never met such.
            Part #7 - SI board (62 11 1 372 258)

Detail #8, 9 - not used.
            Part #10 - mechanical encoder (62 11 1 377 668). Mechanical encoder for tachometer. It differs for 4- and 6-cylinder engines. It is installed on the back side of the instrument panel behind the tachometer.

Item #11 - Electronic encoder for the tachometer. It differs for 4- and 6-cylinder engines. It also has differences in different E30 models. It is installed on the front side of the instrument panel under the tachometer.
            Detail #12, #13 - light filters for control lamps. They differ depending on the model or configuration of the machine.
            Part No. 14 - a light filter for control lamps of turn signals and main beam (62 11 1 372 253).
            Part No. 15 - light guide of control lamps of turn signals and main beam (62 11 1 372 247). Plastic bracket for lamps.

Part No. 16 - light filter of the CHECK control lamp (62 11 1 377 674).
            Part No. 17 - light guide of the CHECK control lamp (62 11 1 372 266). Plastic bracket for the lamp.
            Part No. 18 is a pull rod for zeroing the lower odometer.
            Part #19 - not used.
            Part No. 20 - button (62 12 1 363 213). To reset the lower odometer.
            Detail #21 - a button for adjusting the hands of the clock. Not used in this case.
            Part No. 22 - lamp holder (62 11 1 376 716) - 3 pcs. For backlight lamps and battery charging indicator lamp.
            Part No. 23 - lamp 12V 3W (07 11 9 905 358) - 3 pcs. Backlight and battery charging control lamp. It is important not to install more powerful lamps, otherwise the amber light filter caps may melt. By the way, they are not listed in ETK.
            Part No. 24 - lamp 12V 1.2W (62 11 1 368 299) - 11 pcs. Lamps of control lamps.

Part No. 25 - self-tapping screw ST3.5X16 (07 11 9 907 783) - 9 pcs. For fastening the body of the instrument panel.
            Part No. 26 - self-tapping screw ST2.9X13 (07 11 9 906 706) - 8 pcs. For fastening the speedometer and tachometer to the body of the instrument panel.
            Part No. 27 - shield (62 11 1 377 373). Instrument panel housing.
            Part #28, #29 - not used.
            Part No. 30 - connector housing (62 11 1 372 218). Additional green connector.

So my dashboard looked like this.

It is definitely not from this car, and judging by everything - assembled from several instrument panels. There is a hole in the case for adjusting the hands of the clock, but there is no hole on the glass, as the tachometer is installed. VDO case, but all Motometer devices and boards. The body is light gray. I'm not sure if there were such options, although there are similar color dashboards in photos on the Internet. Maybe the case was simply painted. But the main thing is that all the devices work and I like the appearance with this color! :)
            But something had to be fixed somewhere. Polished the glass and caps of the light filters of the backlight.

Restored the left housing mount using a "repair kit" using 3D printing.

Now you can assemble the instrument panel.
            We install the light guides of the backlight, which are not specified in the ETK, light filters and light guides of the control lamps, the SI-board, the thrust for zeroing the lower odometer. In my case, I still need to glue the hole for the button to adjust the hands of the clock so that it does not glow :)

We insert the light filters of the control lamps.

I added a few more lamps - so I added to the light filter and the corresponding icons for them. I just cut it from another filter and pasted it.
            Now I have a CHECK ENGINE light like on US cars

And the reverse R lamp, although it turned out a little worse due to the overlay of yellow on green...

Also installed the optional trailer turn signal light, but with no hitch and no trailer, it won't come on. :)

Next, we screw the speedometer to the board, install the light filter caps on the backlight lamps, and install all the lamps.

On the other hand, we install the mechanical encoder of the tachometer - so that the arrow coincides with the arrow on the housing.

The encoder number is visible through a special hole under the tachometer scale. 10 - encoder for a 6-cylinder engine.

The hole in the case was sealed with paper, I also sealed it with a sticker.
            We install an additional green connector for options that use the speed signal from the speedometer. It can be cruise control, radio, telephone and automatic transmission with electronic control. Also, this connector is used by the option for the USA - control of the lambda probe (O2 sensor). The connector is simply inserted into the holes in the case.

The instrument panel has two main connectors - white and blue.
            The yellow connector is on all instrument panels, but is used only if there is a digital clock with a thermometer or an on-board computer. On "younger" models, a regular clock can be connected to the yellow connector, which is an option when replacing the clock in the instrument panel with a tachometer. Two clamps are provided on the case for fixing the wiring to the yellow connector.
            An additional green connector, if necessary, can be installed on any instrument panel.

So, the instrument panel is assembled and ready for installation.

We connect all connectors, insert additional lamps.

We insert the instrument panel into the torpedo and screw its brackets.

We install a decorative frame and screw it. I remind you once again - this is where it is important not to confuse long and short self-tapping screws! The outermost instrument panels on the sides are long, the middle ones above the steering column are short! NOT THE OTHERWISE!!!

We screw the frame from above to the torpedo with two short black self-tapping screws, which are not specified in ETK.

The instrument panel is connected and installed.

We check - everything works.

After connecting, yellow and three red diodes are lit, so I immediately reset the "oilservice/inspection" scale - now 5 green diodes are lit, as it should be.
            I have already written in detail about how this scale works and is reset, and there is enough information on the Internet, so I will not repeat myself.
            Next, about the installation of the on-board control system panel.​

Comment

Collection_128. ETK_62_Control devices. Additional information devices

Additional information instruments

Item #1 is a digital clock. It comes in two versions - with an amber display and black numbers, or with a black display and amber numbers. Until 1985, it was installed as a basic configuration on cars with 6-cylinder engines, or as an option on other cars.

Part #2 - clock (62 13 1 376 903). After 1985, it was installed as a basic configuration on cars with 6-cylinder engines, or as an option on other cars. My friends gave it to me in this "table" version! ;)

Part #3 - screw M3X10 ( 07 11 9 907 6050 - 4 pcs. For fastening the watch frame.
              Part No. 4 - clock face cover (62 13 1 376 904)
              Part No. 5 - clock mounting frame (62 13 1 380 009). Suitable for all types of watches.
              Part No. 6 - BSK (Activ Check Control) block. It comes in different versions, with inscriptions in different languages, and with different additional lamps depending on the configuration of the machine, respectively with different ETK numbers. In my version, it is a top-of-the-line variant for the Japanese market with all the additional lights and English lettering. In the photo above. The lower version for diesel E28.

Part #7 is a simplified version for cars with 4-cylinder engines, only with additional lamps (63 31 1 376 895).
              Part No. 8 - lamp 1.2W (62 11 1 368 299) - 2 pcs. Lamps for the illumination of the clock and the BSK unit. If there are additional lamps, their number increases accordingly.
              Part No. 9 - locking spring (62 14 1 369 638) - 2 pcs. For fastening the BSK block.
              Part No. 10 - bracket (62 14 1 373 174) - 1 pc. For fastening the BSK block.

I have an on-board computer installed instead of a clock, so parts #1, 2, 4, 5 are not used.
              I have already written about the on-board control system (Activ Check Control), its functions and wiring, so now I will write only about the installation of the lamp unit itself.
              It was installed on cars with 6-cylinder engines, or in a simplified version on some models with 4-cylinder engines, if they had the appropriate options.
              To fix the block in the ceiling panel, you need to install parts No. 9 and No. 10 in its plastic bracket.

After installing the ceiling panel, connect the block to the wiring and firmly insert it into the panel.

So far I've installed the unit with only one extra bulb for the airbag, but later when all the extras are working, I'll install the top-of-the-line version with all four extra bulbs.

The last subsection remains in this section:
              Digital clock with outdoor air temperature indicator

I had it installed earlier, but I replaced it with an on-board computer - I already wrote about it. It is essentially the same watch, only with the function of reminding every hour and measuring the temperature. The sensor and gong are similar to those in the on-board computer.
              So, that concludes the instrument panel section.

Maybe one day I will also install additional Zender or Hartge devices, but I'm not sure about that... ;)​
              Last edited by The_Glory; 04-12-2024, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Collection_129. ETK_65_Radio receiver equipment

I almost forgot to write about one thing - a unit for cassettes.

This is the last subsection from the section Audio, navigation, information. systems

Radio accessories

Part No. 1 - block for cassettes (65 14 9 056 554). This is a special console for the handbrake lever with a cutout for installing a C-box cartridge into it.
                Part #2 - insert block for the cassette (65 11 1 375 261). A block for one cassette, from which you can dial blocks for different numbers of cassettes.
                Item No. 3 is not used.
                Detail #4 - napkin for cleaning the antenna (65 12 9 056 514). No longer available to order. Maybe I'll find somewhere later...
                Part No. 5 - cartridge for 5 CDs (65 12 9 061 583). For a CD-player. In my case it is not used.

I bought all the blocks for cassettes randomly and collected a whole collection of all their types. But they were all in pretty bad shape. Some even with cassettes. :)

I completely disassembled them, washed them, cleaned them.

The main problem is rusty springs and broken latches.

Of all of them, I made only two in fully working condition.

Blocks are connected in three pieces and inserted into a plastic frame.

Together with the frame, the blocks snap into the hole in the handbrake lever console.
                At that time, such units for C-box cassettes were installed on almost all makes and models of cars. Each model had its own special frame for a different number of blocks for cassettes. For the E30, there were three types of six-block cassettes.
                The earliest version is with white buttons.

A similar unit for cassettes, but with cassette filling indicators. Each block has a "window". An empty block is a white label. When installing the cassette, the label turns red. You need to find two more unbroken blocks somewhere ;)

Probably after 1985, or maybe after restyling, they started to install cassette boxes with black buttons and cassette filling indicators.

Similar units for cassettes were also installed on the E32, E34, E36, but there they still had a backlight for filling indicators and a frame with a cover. I'm not sure if such cassette units were installed on the E30, although the option for backlighting was provided on the later version. But, if desired, it can be done by adding a backlight lamp.

So, I've tried all three types of cassette units, but I won't be installing them since I already have my phone installed there.
                But for the US market there was another version of the cassette block for such a case - in the door pocket. But there is a slightly different construction of blocks - vertical.

I saw such a unit for cassettes on sale only once, I did not have time to buy. I will try to do it myself. So far, I bought "donor" blocks for cassettes for the experiment.

Early version. You need to find two more blocks.

A later version.

I haven't decided which option I will experiment with, but the main thing is that both work well, even without cleaning and washing.

I will write about the result later.​

Comment

Assembly_130. ETK_03_Front armrest

In continuation of the previous entry, I will write about the front armrest, which I will not install either. :)

This is the ETK section Retrofitting, accessories

Front armrest

Part No. 1 - front armrest (82 11 9 413 202). This is quite a convenient and useful option, but, in my opinion, its implementation in the E30 is, to put it mildly, unimpressive. The manufacturer of the front armrests for the E30 was HUSCO. In this perspective, the armrest looks good (all photos of the original armrest are from the Internet):

But its fastening is simply terrible! It looks like some kind of "carpentry"...

Functionality is also not impressive at all. The armrest has retractable cup holders, but judging by the reviews of the owners, they are very unreliable and fragile. When installing the armrest, the possibility to normally use the shelf on the console or cassette units is excluded. I'm not talking about the phone at all.

Terrible through bolting to the console. How to use cassette units here?

Despite this, such an armrest is a very rare item and has an inadequate price, in my opinion! :) Apparently, this is the case when at one time no one needed it, due to its controversial functionality, so it was almost never ordered. But now, it's a rarity at a huge price! )
                  In my opinion, the armrest from the E34 is a much better option in terms of design, functionality, and fastening. It is installed instead of a cassette unit.

But I have a phone there. Therefore, I bought and installed an aftermarket armrest for the E30 from KAMEI.
                  Cleaned, renewed the paint.

Fixing the frame

Fastening the pillow

KAMEI

We collect

But we install it.

The appearance of the KAMEI armrest is similar to the appearance of the original HUSCO armrest

And in terms of functionality, it is much better. The armrest is foldable, and does not interfere with using a shelf, or cassette units, or a telephone.

It has an additional drawer for small items. It also has adjustment of the angle of inclination of the pillow and longitudinal adjustment of its position.

Mounting does not require drilling of the console. The frame of the armrest is fixed with bolts, together with the front seats. Fastening is rigid and reliable. In addition, the frame also serves as "protection" for the rear ashtray, which is often broken by rear passengers with their feet, if there are three of them :)

The fastening does not interfere with the longitudinal adjustment of the seats.

So, in my opinion, the aftermarket KAMEI armrest is much better than the original HUSCO in all respects. The only thing is that it does not have cup holders. But it's even better for me - I never let anyone eat or drink in my car! :)

Now I will write about another convenient little thing - a net for things. In ETK for E30 it is not there for some reason, but it is in the list of original options for E30 - S414 Mesh on the side of the front passenger.
                  There are no numbers on it, modern such meshes look different, so I cannot claim that this is an original mesh specifically for the E30, but it was removed from the E30 Touring.

Fastening with self-tapping screws through plastic clips.

It is installed on the checkpoint tunnel from the passenger side. The size fits perfectly.

Next time I will write about the front seats.​

Comment

Collection_131. ETK_52_Seats. BMW sports seat.

Seats

In the cabin, everything is ready for installing the front seats.
                    A little general information about them.
                    Three front seat options were available for the E30: standard seats, BMW sports seats (Sportsitze), and RECARO sports seats.
                    In the M3 EVO, RECARO SR3 sports seats were installed, which had integrated head restraints, additional lateral support and the possibility of installing 4-point seat belts.
                    I will write about the seat in more detail, in the form of an FAQ:
                    In 2-door and 4-door sedans and touring cars, the front seats differ structurally only in the handles and the mechanism for folding the backrest forward, but, in principle, they are interchangeable. The handles and mechanism for folding the backrest forward can be installed on any seat.
                    The guides of the standard and sports seats are the same, but the RECARO sports seats have a different longitudinal adjustment lever design. There are two types of guides - before 85 and after 85.
                    I'm not sure, but I read somewhere that the guides on convertibles are higher than on sedans.
                    Rear and front headrests are the same (except front RECARO).
                    Front seat heating is different for standard and sports seats, and for fabric or leather upholstery.
                    The upholstery fabric texture sets were different for the 4-cylinder and 6-cylinder cars.

Depending on the year of production, the engine, the type of trim and the configuration of the car, the seats have many ETK numbers. Therefore, it makes no sense to indicate them.

So, now about my specific seats. At first, completely different seats were installed - the right one is standard, and the left one is from E36. Therefore, almost immediately, I completely replaced them with BMW sports seats (Sportsitze) from a 1992 car (probably from a touring car). I sewed them in black and installed heating. The seats are in very good condition, so there was no point in taking them apart to take pictures and put them back together! :)
                    So, here I will not describe everything in detail - just general photos - BMW sports seat (Sportsitze).

BMW sports seat

Unlocking the BMW sports seat

As I said above, the handles and forward recline mechanism from the 2-door sedan seats can be installed on the 4-door sedan seats. If there is such a need.
                    The details of fastening the front head restraints are similar to the rear ones. The headrests are simply inserted into the holes. Can be adjusted in height and inclination. I already wrote about them in the section on the back seat.

BMW sports seat headrest

Rear and front head restraints are the same for standard and sport seats (except front RECARO).

The rear panel of the BMW sports seat

The back panel of the backrest is attached from above with staples, and from below with two self-tapping screws.

BMW sports seat cover

Cladding by the meter

As I said above, depending on the year of manufacture, engine, and configuration of the car, the seats have many upholstery options with different ETK numbers. Therefore, it makes no sense to indicate them.
                    Fabric, faux leather, and genuine leather upholstery were available. The main colors are black, blue, green, brown, beige, gray, red. Before restyling, and after restyling, these colors had different shades and textures. The upholstery fabric texture sets were different for the 4-cylinder and 6-cylinder cars. There were also special skins for exclusive and individual configurations - M-Technic, Edition and others. On all E30s, the skin has longitudinal seams, except for convertibles, where the seams are transverse.
                    According to the VIN code, my car had PINIENGRUEN green cloth upholstery (0149) - for cars with 4-cylinder engines (316). But I bought a car with a different interior. The door panels were 0211 ANTHRAZIT, and the seats were re-stitched in a similar fabric. After replacing all the seats, I looked around for the 0211 ANTHRAZIT fabric that was available from 85 for the 6 cylinder engine - just what I needed for my current kit! I still found it and bought it, thanks to a friend.

But in fact, the color was not black, but brown... alas...

At that time, I could not find a black "crow's foot", so I decided to sew the seats simply in black, with transverse seams, like on convertibles. It also turned out very well. But the idea of ​​making the entire interior in black "houndstooth" doesn't leave me... :) Yes, such a fabric is now on sale... I already have a back rest and four headrests in the original 0211 ANTHRAZIT fabric. Someday, maybe, I will have the whole salon "crow's foot" 0211 ANTHRAZIT. Or blue "crow's foot" 0212 PACIFIC - door trims are also already available ;)

The photo shows M TECHNIC decorative overlays (52 10 1 927 000) on the back.

For the E30, front seats were only available for the M3. But I also installed them - the interior looks much better with them! ;)We pierce the skin with them, and bend their spokes inside. One nuance - although I ordered them new, the color of the stickers on the driver's seat quickly began to fade... Therefore, I "laminated" them with a transparent adhesive film.

So, although the seats are in good condition, I still did some minimal "maintenance" of them - I cleaned and lubricated all the adjustment mechanisms, renewed the paint on the guides a little, and cleaned the trim.

BMW sports seat guides

There are two types of guides - before 85 and after 85. Structurally, they differ significantly, but they are interchangeable when attached to the body. Guides up to 85 are attached to the body with three nuts and one bolt at the back near the gearbox tunnel. Guide rails after 85 are attached to the body with two nuts at the front and two bolts at the back. In ETK, simple washers are used in one case, spring washers in another, or they are not used at all - the logic is not clear. Therefore, I prepared both simple washers and spring washers, but in fact I used only spring washers. I have a body of 84, and the guides of 92 - therefore fastening with three nuts and one bolt.

Plastic decorative caps for nuts also come in two types. Both types are no longer available to order. Earlier (before 85) are high, and later (after 85) are low. High caps are not suitable for guides after 85 - they interfere with the longitudinal adjustment of the seat. I had to order low caps for 3D printing.

I cleaned the guides, repainted a little and lubricated all the mechanisms with Teflon grease.

The photo shows the heating connector, which is fixed in a special plastic bracket on the spring frame of the seat. The connector of the driver's seat belt lock is also fixed in the same bracket.

BMW sport seat covers

BMW sports seat accessories

Seat details

All mechanisms work well, so I did not disassemble them - I just cleaned and lubricated them.

1992 year

After that, for "prevention" I cleaned the cladding with a "tornado"

All that remains is to fasten the seat belt locks.

The early locks fit the late guides without a problem. The bolt was closed with a decorative cap.

The seats are now completely ready for installation.
                    We connect the seat heating connector and the driver's lock, if there is one. It is better to immediately raise the seat to the maximum height on the guides. We install the seat on the body studs and fasten.

Fasten the seat belt, cover the bolt with a decorative cap.

We also close the fastening nuts with caps.

We adjust the position of the seats - installed.

Now it remains only to fasten the steering wheel! :)
                    By the way, next time there will be the last entry on the assembly of the interior - about a rare option for the E30 - S435 Made of valuable wood species​

Comment

Sharp, I love !!

Comment

Collection_132. ETK_03_Upgrades, accessories. Made from valuable wood species.

An option was available for the E30, which is more common on the more "luxurious" 5 and 7 series - S435 Made of valuable wood. On the E30, this option is not so common. Mainly on machines from ALPINA. Although, sometimes "aftermarket" retrofit kits were also installed there. But now we are talking about the original retrofit kit. This is really real wood, not vinyl decals! ;)

This is the ETK section Retrofitting, accessories

Fine wood finish

Item No. 1 - a set of torpedo linings
                        Detail No. 2 - an overlay on the torpedo console
                        Detail No. 3 - a set of overlays on the front door panels
                        Detail No. 4 - a set of overlays for the instrument panel
                        Detail No. 5 - overlay on the central panel
                        Detail No. 6 - cover on the box for small things

So, the complete set consists of seven overlays. In the previous entries about the installation of the torpedo, I have already mentioned some of them. At the moment, I have only two of them - an overlay on the box for small things, and an overlay on the light switch. The overlays are no longer available to order, they are very rare, so it is quite difficult to assemble the whole set. It's good that they were available in only one color - it simplifies the search at least a little. At a minimum, I still want to install an overlay under the instrument panel, but not the front door panels. I don't really like the overlay on the center panel. And the overlay on the torpedo console, in general, looks like a cheap Chinese vinyl sticker. Especially, if there are six buttons for power windows. Therefore, I will not install it. If I still can't find these pads, I'll try to make them to order.

In addition to this kit, a wooden gear lever handle was available.

Gear shift knob retrofitting, wood

Part No. 1 - retrofitting with a gearbox handle, walnut root tree (82 11 9 413 231). Wooden handle without top insert.

After the restyling, another wooden handle of the gearbox lever was available - 25 11 1 434 497. With an upper insert. This is the handle installed in my car.

Well, and for the completeness of the "wooden picture" :) - wooden "aftermarket" MOMO steering wheel.
                        So, my entire tree set.

All elements need restoration, but I will deal with this when the whole set is assembled. And for now, "we have what we have." (with)
                        I just renewed the paint on the steering wheel.

By the way, I have had a rare BBS steering wheel with a "carbon" insert lying around for a long time. I plan to convert the insert into a "tree". In the original, there is something similar to "aquaprint", so I will try to do it that way. The original sound signal button is missing, so I will try to make it myself - I have already made the blanks.

For now, I'll install what I have.
                        Helm.

There is still nothing to install the gearbox lever handle on. :) But there are still plans to "upgrade" it with lighting.

Overlay on the light switch.

Overlay on the box for small things.

General appearance.

A complete restored kit will look much better. ;)

P.S.
                        As it turned out, for diesel cars, plastic linings in the box for small things also have additional original sound insulation. So for the full effect, I removed them and added similar noise insulation there.

P.P.S.
                        If someone looked carefully at the photo, they noticed that the left front speaker trim and the headlight adjustment knob are missing. That's because I haven't installed the magnetic alarm lock on the driver's door yet. I will install it after painting along with other parts. This completes the interior assembly.

And then - a new season of this long series! :) Preparation and assembly of the motor.
                        I pulled it out to the middle of the garage so that it would be convenient to clean and wash it from all sides. After all, I will definitely not put it in this form! ;)

Then about the motor.​

Comment

Working...
                        X