Journey E30 - The Cory E30 in the new home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Journey E30 - The Cory E30 in the new home

I posted a "rejoining the community" thread, but figured I should create a thread to track my chapter with the car. I also put up a little YouTube channel (apologies for the low-quality) since the car started the last chapter on YT, it's good way to literally see what's going and it seemed like fun. This thread will probably be significantly more regular, and will probably be where I ask a lot of questions, etc. I don't have a ton of mechanical knowledge, but a lot of good tools and a willingness to try. As we'll see in just a sec, I often wind up a little over my head and/or create issues for myself.

As I said in the Rejoining thread, the trip home with the car was absolutely awesome - the car ate up miles, was tons of fun and gave me and my son unique memories for a lifetime. I'm so grateful for that experience, and if you'll excuse the preachy diversion, I'll say this: Do anything you can to make memories with your people. I've learned the hard way that no-one is promised tomorrow, but still have to remind myself. Ya get one run - make it fun.

Anyway, a few things since the car came home. (there's a few questions in there - appreciate any input )
    • As much as I love the stance (I mean, the thing is a StanceWorks creation), even at the requested "old man cool" height Mike set it at, it's still catching the exhaust on the small rise at the entry to my driveway. I took the wheels off to raise it a bit, but I think I'll likely just take it to my guys at the tires/alignment shop I've used for years and ask them to do it along with tuning the alignment post-adjustment at the same time. I know it isn't difficult, but seems easier since I doubt they'll charge me much if anything for raising the car, and they do a ton of business with the local car clubs and prepping folks for VIR, which is only seventy miles from me.
    • The brake light switch (which looks original, but definitely not young in any case) died on the trip. I grabbed a Dorman on eBay for eight bucks, and it's working fine for now. I'll probably toss an OE one in there at some point.
    • I almost immediately broke the cigarette-lighter frame, which aint' great since I will run the new V1G2 and my Garmin GPS for a while. This thing is so effortless to run fast, and the tire diameter has the speedo at least 5MPH fast - knowing the speed limit, my actual speed and the presence of any friends in blue is a good idea in the short-to-medium term. A replacement from eBay is on the way.
    • I'm replacing the turn-signal. These went inop about two-thirds of the way home. I'm one of those guys to signals lanes and the whole thing, and I think the old switch took offense - lol. Got a nice one on eBay with restored graphics:
    • Unfortunately, I'm an idiot. I didn't disconnect the battery while I was working, and when I tried to test if the new switch worked, the car went dark. The hi-beam switch was pushed forward, and they came on, but after cycling the key there was no power/etc. I'm guessing I disturbed a ground or something, so I'll go back through a see what's in there that might need tightening or reconnection. I'm guessing since the car was swapped, the wiring in there is a bit of a jumble, so easy to miss something I disturbed. I'm going to eyeball it tomorrow and see what I can see.
    • After the experience above, I decided to disconnect the battery. While I was doing that I noticed the battery box was pretty dusty/dirty, so I decided to pull the battery and clean it. I discovered that the clamp post was bent and the tray had lost it's threading, so I got new replacements for those from FCP Euro. Those probably go in tomorrow too.
    • The only rust on the car is in the typical spot at the battery vent. I'm going to do something to seal all that up and keep it from spreading, but there's something long-term to do as well - I'm just not sure what it is. If I go AGM (which I understand to be ventless, so doesn't require the hole), can I seal it up/eliminate it? As an S52-swapped car, I'd think the alternator should be fine, but I have no idea about batteries/electrical (clearly...)

(FWIW this pic looks worse than it is)
    • The dash bulb behind the tach also went out. It was a little intermittent late in the trip, but is finally dead. I've got a whole set of new bulbs/etc. also coming from FCP, so when it's all here I'll pull the cluster and replace all the bubs. The E30 cluster is a LOT easier to pull than my M635, but it's the kind of job I hate, and why not do them all while it's right in front of me?

Future Stuff:
    • I need floor mats. Probably going CocoMats wool just for the front. They have a spring sale coming up...
    • I need to solve for a decent cupholder.
    • I have a good dash reserved for me with a buddy . That will be this summer or later, but nice to know it's there. I might replace the center console at the same time.
    • I don't mind the door panels, but the back seat doesn't match the Scheel-Mann seats very well. The same friend has both leather and vinyl black rear benches I could drop in (I know, he's an incredibly-handy friend. I'm not sure why he likes me, but he's awesome).
    • I literally haven't touched the radio, and Mike wasn't really confident in it. I'm going to eventually put an original one in there, a Blaupunkt or something period-correct-ish (i.e. glows orange - lol)
    • When I do the dash, I have some new AC hoses and other AC stuff Mike included that I'll do while I have access. Recommendations welcome!
    • The door seals are pretty beat up on the car, so Mike threw in a full OEM set (this was something he did after the whole deal was done, and very awesome). Not sure when I'll get to that, but it's on the Medium-Term list.
    • The passenger window is finicky about rolling up (knew this before buying the car). I've seen a vid on YouTube where the guy had a very-similar issue and was able to clean it up to function fine.
    • I need a more-manly horn. (I'm not talking about a train-whistle, but something more than the current perky 'Beep!"

So that's where the car is now - updates as I go along! (and thanks for any info/advice!)

1985 E30 S52 - Daily Driver
    1986 M635Csi - For the best days

On a side note, my spawn and I were talking about a nickname for the car. As much as I want to continue Mike's intent to honor his friend, calling the "The Cory E30" or "Cory" for the long term seems wrong to me somehow.

The way the car moves like a slingshot when asked reminded me of one of my fraternity brothers in college who got a fast car not long before he graduated, and kept saying with glee that "It scoots!" when he was taking me for a drive in it. My son said "Well, since you call the Shark "Cosmo" (it's Cosmos Blau), why don't you call this one "Scooter"? "Cosmo and Scooter" kinda sound right together..." I'm not sure it's respectful to the performance of the car, but neither is "Cosmo"

Comment

Great to see another thread and more on this car. I think Scooter is a good name, it is endearing and the car can ... scoot. I'll let myself out. haha
      Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Hole from battery vent can be plugged with a floor plug. (Ignore the LiFePO4 battery I was testing with)

I went with floor mats from Lloyd Mats. Ultimat Floor Mats (Black) Front & Rear.
        I liked them so much I ordered a trunk mat to match, and a set of floor mats for my Miata at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Panici View Post
          Hole from battery vent can be plugged with a floor plug. (Ignore the LiFePO4 battery I was testing with)

I went with floor mats from Lloyd Mats. Ultimat Floor Mats (Black) Front & Rear.
          I liked them so much I ordered a trunk mat to match, and a set of floor mats for my Miata at the same time.

Does an AGM battery need venting?

Comment

Looking good!

Comment

Well, I've been making some things worse over the last couple weeks - lol.

I was trying to replace the turn signal stalk assembly and disturbed something - a (ground?) wire, a fuse, a relay - something.

I figured I had other stuff to do in the meantime, so I went ahead replacing all the bulbs in the cluster (the tach light is dark, which I'm now wondering if it's a SI board - I don't see a bulb dedicated to the tach or the speedo). Buttoning things up so I could try to figure out the electrical issue, I broke a tab on the cluster. Arg.

I had six thousand other things going on, so I just left it and ordered the Race German repair kit. Here's my experience with it (spoiler - pretty great kit IMHO)

I'm struggling the get the cluster back in the car - the wiring is sitting behind the cluster (the built-in clips/ties are perished) and I can't quite figure out a way to hold them away while I get it in. I tried to see if the car would start, and everything is still dark. The battery is good, so I'm just going to take it to my shop and let my guy figure it out. He has my E24 there and it's ready anyway, so I can just trade. :)

Comment

I'm hoping it's something as simple as the fusible link, but the car is still dark. I know nothing at all about electrical stuff, so my ability to debug this is borderline zero. I have a couple other things I wanted my shop to do anyway, so it's now with my guy.

You have to be able to ask for help, right? ;)

Comment

As it turns out, the problem was the ignition switch that sits on the other side of the key on the steering column had been knocked loose. I'm guessing whatever plastic clip that hold it on are dead.

I grabbed a lightly-used one off eBay and will probably toss that in there and keep the other as a sketchy spare.

Comment

The lightly-used one didn't happen - the seller would up refunding me. I found another eBay seller that had multiple, so I bought two.

One turned out to have a pretty-sketchy wire tied in near the loom plug - no idea what it was for, but they'd removed a bit of the insulation, pushed a pick through the middle of the strands and pushed the wire through the hole. Then they wrapped it around a bit and put some crap electrical wire over the join. .

I guess I'm glad they didn't solder it, but sheesh. I unwrapped it, pulled it out, re-twisted the wire a bit, covered it with some good electrical tape and then wrapped that with loom tape. I'm going to make that one the spare...
                    "
                    Anyone have a measurement on the factory hole for the battery vent?

Anyway, swapping all the bulbs worked (which is nice). The turn signals were compromised by the hazard switch being bad apparently. A used one arrived on Friday. I also cleaned up the eBay 12V/lighter frame.

I managed to find a place to cut a factory key blank. Apparently the reason few folks cut factory keys is because they're steel, which ruins regular key-cutting machines. Since keys are getting to be a PITA on these old cars from BMW, I've now got multiple factory keys for the E30 and the M635, and at least two non-factory versions as well. I'm only going to use the "real" keys at shows, and always have a spare factory tucked away.

The brake booster checkvalve needed replacement, so had that done as well.

The list of stuff I'd like to do is getting longer.
                    I found that Mike had included various reinforcement bits for the car, but I don't weld and not sure how much getting that done locally would be. I'm guessing it might be less expensive to get a whole set of the Garagistic front and rear subframes. I'd go ahead and get their reinforced rear training arms as well. Need to do some research on that...
                    In the short term, I think I'll get front and rear strut braces. Not sure if the Garagistic set fits over the S52 swap with the wiring enclosure Mike installed...

Comment

I really think the rear shock tower bar is pointless, and not worth the trunk space it takes up.

I haven't seen the engine bay of yours, so I don't know what cover you have, but I have the m3 firewall cover and an IE front strut bar on mine. If the garagistic fitment is anywhere near that, it should be fine.
                      Originally posted by priapism
                      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                      Originally posted by shameson
                      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                        I really think the rear shock tower bar is pointless, and not worth the trunk space it takes up.

I haven't seen the engine bay of yours, so I don't know what cover you have, but I have the m3 firewall cover and an IE front strut bar on mine. If the garagistic fitment is anywhere near that, it should be fine.
                        Here's a screen grab from one of Mike's videos:

Comment

Yeah that's the full M3 firewall cover. The M40/M42 one is the same except for the battery tray piece, so if it didn't fit they'd have figured that out pretty quickly.
                          Originally posted by priapism
                          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                          Originally posted by shameson
                          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Yeah, many put the M3/318 covers on with strut bars, it's a little tight depending on the strut bar design, but I've never seen one impact the cover.

PS/Reminder: If you ever wanna get rid of those seats --- let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by DEV0 E30 View Post
                              Yeah, many put the M3/318 covers on with strut bars, it's a little tight depending on the strut bar design, but I've never seen one impact the cover.

PS/Reminder: If you ever wanna get rid of those seats --- let me know.
                              Unfortunately the only thing I'd consider swapping these for is a pair of Recaro Classic LS seats or similar.

Comment

Working...
                              X