• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BarlosE30
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BarlosE30
    replied
    Still spraying the front bumper trims pieces. So will get better pictures once those are done.

Ride height is so much better for my neighborhood. Can actually get off my driveway without ruining the front!

Leave a comment:

• BarlosE30
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8914.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	239.1 KB
ID:	10121824
    Back on the road! Big refresh on the front suspension. Will be riding a bit to get the fuel system cleaned out. Then take her for a smog test. Does anyone have any tips to help? I just did a stomp test and got back only 1444 code. Which is no faults. Car still smells like it is rich on fuel. Exhaust had white smoke the first 10 minutes. After driving it had gone away.

Leave a comment:

• BarlosE30
    replied
    Been close to two months since I got her and it’s been in the garage! Really want to start driving it again but needed to take care of all the maintenance! Vacuum smoke test went successful and now I have no rough idle! Yay.
    - Bled the coolant, got rid of that green 🤢, now original BMW blue.
    - Installed Z3 steering rack with E36 Outer Tie Rods.
    - Cleaned up all the power steering fluid leaks under the engine bay

Just when I was ready start driving I wanted to really raise the car a few inches, living in San Francisco it was to damaging to my soul scraping and riding the entire body. I’m not that crazy young lad. 3 out 4 coilover dampers threaded off fine for adjustment but then my passenger side one was seized so bad! Heat, hammer, putting it on various vises, all types of fluids, nothing worked. Ended up cutting it to see the damage and it was very corroded. Luckily was able to find a nice set at the junk yard! So just gotta weld a lower mount and got my replacement pieces from BC Racing.

Since I already got the front suspension apart, also tackling the control arm bushings/joints and sway bar bushing/links.

Mid-June looks like my best date to start being back on the road!

Leave a comment:

• BarlosE30
    replied
    Still new to these forums. Is this the appropriate way of posting? Thanks in advance.

Update on project. Fixed the stripped valve cover thread by using a timesert kit. Very nerve racking not being on a flat surface but made sure to go very SLOW.

Found out I already had an E36 steering rack. Decided to purchase a Z3 rack. Will have two E36 Racks up for sale. The one I removed was shot. Leaks in a multiple spots.

Deleted heating plates on throttle body. It’s so much cleaner to see the routing now. Very pleased.

Found that I could have a timing cover leak too. Will try to leak down once I bolt everything back together. (Oh the agony of waiting on parts haha)

At first I didn’t want to invest too much into the M42 but I want to enjoy this motor for a year still.

While I wait I decided start cleaning the entire front. Degreasing and giving her some tlc. Love how simple these cars are.

Leave a comment:

• iXBeater
    replied
    Nice! Enjoy!

Leave a comment:

• uturn
    replied
    Congratulations! Nice ride.

Leave a comment:

• BarlosE30
    replied

Name:	IMG_7862.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	236.0 KB
ID:	10118963
    For the rims I’m going to design some center caps and 3D print it using my Bambu P1P printer

Leave a comment:

• 82eye
    replied
    looks great.

Leave a comment:

• Tzantushka
    replied
    Looks great & what a project!

Leave a comment:

• BarlosE30
    replied

Name:	IMG_1288.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	253.8 KB
ID:	10118948

Leave a comment:

• BarlosE30
    replied
    Originally posted by Panici View Post
    What TLC are you giving to the M42? I see the intake manifold is off.
    Eliminating the “mess” of hoses under the intake. Coolant and Vent ones. Also just changing them out because some are brittle and I wanted to avoid any leaks. Throttle was having a bit of a choke but still sat at 1krpm range at idle. Either way I wanted also clean out the injectors and basically anything I’m removing.

I also need to do the valve cover gasket and add some timeserts for some of the valve cover threads. Unfortunately some are stripped and so the bolts are just free floating.

Want to have something to drive around for fun but also wanted to not ride that bad. So will also be doing some suspension stuff too. After the regular maintenance stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Swoozley Macklin
    replied
    Damn, that's pretty. Congrats!

Leave a comment:

• khiobrien2
    replied
    Originally posted by e30tru View Post
    Hey that car looks familiar….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Those wheels omg

Leave a comment:

• Panici
    replied
    What TLC are you giving to the M42? I see the intake manifold is off.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X