Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well, I've now experienced driving an eta...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(eurospeed)I need to make a signature pic but dont which program is best to use

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/657387

Comment

Originally posted by nefarious7907
      (eurospeed)I need to make a signature pic but dont which program is best to use
      Well, I didn't make that picture, but most people use Photoshop for their sig pics. :up:

Comment

Was playing with my 1-2-3 gears (yes in my auto) some today - I actually felt torque! Then how does another 20 year old radiator hose repay me? Blows. Haha love it.
        Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

my e30 is slower than an eta right now :(

Comment

:? i love my eta....5 speed, doesn't seem TOO sluggish to me...but then again i've never been in a " i " so i can't compare it to one....bah! long live ETA's :D

www.Ninemi-Media.com | web design services | 3d creations

Comment

Originally posted by kILLeR325e
              :? i love my eta....5 speed, doesn't seem TOO sluggish to me...but then again i've never been in a " i " so i can't compare it to one....bah! long live ETA's :D
              That's a nice looking car man.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by eightyfoure
                Was playing with my 1-2-3 gears (yes in my auto) some today - I actually felt torque! Then how does another 20 year old radiator hose repay me? Blows. Haha love it.
                Yeah, after about 2 minutes of cursing the tranny I was driving around shifting it permanently.

Comment

I had to do that with my auto for two weeks before it finally gave up the ghost. What's the point of an auto if you have to shift gears?

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

I've owned both and in different configurations but only fully loaded with sport seats, etc. What really kills the ETA experience is the automatic tranny. The 5spd ETA is much better with the shorter gearing and torque. Also a chip and rear diff swap works wonders on an ETA engine. Stock vs stock, the 325i wins hands down, IMO.
                    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
                    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
                    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
                    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

I always shift my auto, especially when passing. if I let it shift itself, it shifts at the completely wrong time and tends to jolt the whole drivetrain. not good when you have $1000 in transfer case parts to worry about! if I'm just cruising or toolign around town I just leave it in D. ;)

I figure, what can I really hurt? I'm not planning on keeping the auto forever.. and I'm pretty sure the PO shifted it as well. if you always leave it in D, you basically never get to use 2nd gear which is where all the auto's (little) fun is.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave

That's a nice looking car man.
                        thx dood, your car is sweet as hell, real clean....like the pics u take 2 ;) ..i need to get ahold of a camera and take some new pics

www.Ninemi-Media.com | web design services | 3d creations

Comment

With regads to the Eta - there is no difference in body style. The main difference is the engine, and there may be a few other things that are different, for example my battery is in the back My car seems to have a lot of insulation (is the 4 door w/ premium package) and so it is extremely quiet--you wouldn't hardly know the engine is on even when you have turned the key. I have been living with my manual tranny eta for 17 years and I enjoy it a lot - the low end torque is good for city driving, and I love the handling. It's unique and you get used to it, and it fits like an old shoe. Great gas mileage. I tell people it's basically like a truck engine, and drives very un-BMW like., and most people don't believe me (that is, until they drive it). At the time my dad bought it the BMW dealer told us they introduced the eta into the 3-series because too many Americans were driving the 4-cylinder BMWs and complaining about lack of power. But that was because most Americans were too afraid to rev an engine like the Germans do, thus they didn't get much power out of it, but anyway, BMW was worried about losing its image., so the 318i actually went away for a few years between 1985-1990 (aprox).

I agree about the lack of ooomph in the high end- on the highway there have been times when I wanted to blast by someone, and floored it and then...waited, waited. I am just now starting to drive other Bimmers and realizing they are different--for example the 540iT I drove was a real rocket - you floor it and get pushed back into your seat - if only that wagon came in a manual! I drove a 325iC the other day that was Automatic - it felt mostly just heavier and not particularyl sporty--probably because of the automatic. Having ridden in Aaron's 318iC all modded-- I liked the high-revving nature of it, and couldn't believe it-- felt like ridding in a Porsche 911 but on the same e30 platform as mine. Made me realize that a lot of that sports car feel has to do with suspension , engine, and tuning, just as much so as the body style/shell you are working with.

My two Cents.
                          '86 325 original owner for 20 years * SOLD *
                          '86 325es * SOLD *
                          '05 Honday Odyssey Minivan.

Comment

Originally posted by Marvin_Hecht
                            With regads to the Eta - there is no difference in body style. The main difference is the engine, and there may be a few other things that are different, for example my battery is in the back My car seems to have a lot of insulation (is the 4 door w/ premium package) and so it is extremely quiet--you wouldn't hardly know the engine is on even when you have turned the key. I have been living with my manual tranny eta for 17 years and I enjoy it a lot - the low end torque is good for city driving, and I love the handling. It's unique and you get used to it, and it fits like an old shoe. Great gas mileage. I tell people it's basically like a truck engine, and drives very un-BMW like., and most people don't believe me (that is, until they drive it). At the time my dad bought it the BMW dealer told us they introduced the eta into the 3-series because too many Americans were driving the 4-cylinder BMWs and complaining about lack of power. But that was because most Americans were too afraid to rev an engine like the Germans do, thus they didn't get much power out of it, but anyway, BMW was worried about losing its image., so the 318i actually went away for a few years between 1985-1990 (aprox).

I agree about the lack of ooomph in the high end- on the highway there have been times when I wanted to blast by someone, and floored it and then...waited, waited. I am just now starting to drive other Bimmers and realizing they are different--for example the 540iT I drove was a real rocket - you floor it and get pushed back into your seat - if only that wagon came in a manual! I drove a 325iC the other day that was Automatic - it felt mostly just heavier and not particularyl sporty--probably because of the automatic. Having ridden in Aaron's 318iC all modded-- I liked the high-revving nature of it, and couldn't believe it-- felt like ridding in a Porsche 911 but on the same e30 platform as mine. Made me realize that a lot of that sports car feel has to do with suspension , engine, and tuning, just as much so as the body style/shell you are working with.

My two Cents.
                            You haven't driven many new cars have you?

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

In Marvin's ETA, I didn't know the engine was running when he started. Maybe I'm jsut a deafer from my loud ass car, but it was a pretty comfertable ride.

Comment

Hey /// M Powered, thanks for the compliment. I still do want to see your car too!
                                You know my hood also has a lot of insulation on it, maybe extra insulation was part of the Premium Package?

Digitalwave- Not sure what you mean--that a lot of new cars today have plenty of power, oomph, etc? I do notice that figures around 200 hp are normal now.
                                '86 325 original owner for 20 years * SOLD *
                                '86 325es * SOLD *
                                '05 Honday Odyssey Minivan.

Comment

Working...
                                X