No announcement yet.

Turbo M42. The journey to 300+whp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The intake runners are almost a direct shot to the M42 head. Only a slight adjustment will be needed to make it fit correctly. The first manifold I made had several problems. The thickness of material used was the main reason for cracking. Metal was just too thin. The sizing was also an issue. Too big to get a correct and stable idle. IAT temp sensor often was heat soaked due to location as well as other things. The positives with using this VW mani include running the factory VW IAT sensor as well as having plenty of vacuum ports to use for BOV and boost control. It will clean up a lot of the engine bay on this side and it should work better. The sizing should also help with tuning the idle. It wasn't bad with the old setup but it wasn't perfect. Ill update again once the intake is finished.

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
    Ig:ryno_pzk
    I like the tuna here.
    Originally posted by lambo
    Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

A few photos of the progress on the intake. Nothing special just over priced aluminum and alot of time with a dremel.

I like the tuna here.

Comment

​Intake runners will be cut down another 2 to 2.5 inches or so to fit in the engine bay correctly. Nothing welded together yet just test fitting the design as of now. Depending on my level of motivation I may have it ready to mount back on the engine by the end of this week. The IAT sensor switch from a GM style to the OEM VW will take some doing. The OHM readings at room temp are slightly different on the GM sensor than the VW so I am thinking of a plan to get this to work with MS1. Possibly some calibration or maybe I am over thinking it and itll work...
        Last edited by Dj Buttchug; 11-13-2023, 09:07 AM.

I like the tuna here.

Comment

Plenum volume looks small to the naked eye, is it calculated?
          sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Originally posted by econti View Post
            Plenum volume looks small to the naked eye, is it calculated?
            To a certain degree it is. After researching some I found lots of conflicting info on size and design. NA to turbo engines all different info. Most info saying volume should be double the size of engine displacement. Also, lower compression ratios come into play and with this engine @ 8.5:1 it was hard to know which advice to take. Ended up choosing the plenum from a 1.8 turbo VW. It is significantly smaller than my last design but hopefully much stronger and better design for a more stable idle.

I like the tuna here.

Comment

I’m glad you have your beast. I’m looking for up dates…I have owned e36 m3 in the past. I will always refer to e30 bmw to drive.
              Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

End result of hack job VW intake. Turned out much better than expected.

I like the tuna here.

Comment

Some time ago my timing case developed a pretty decent oil leak right at the profile gasket seam on the passenger side. It was small at first but has gotten worse. I put it off because its a complete bitch to fix correctly.

FML.

Despite my engine ground cable kit I've still got some pretty decent electrolysis going on. Pisses me off a little bit because I have so much money invested in this engine. There is new pitting around my water pump inlet and some small areas around the profile gasket. Not sure how to handle that yet. Engine now has just over 5k miles since it was build. Possibly this is happening because the car isnt driven enough.
                  Last edited by Dj Buttchug; 01-15-2024, 08:22 AM.

I like the tuna here.

Comment

Finished this shitbag of a job. No leaks now. Thanks I love it. New intake on and working. Appreciate the donation Audi.

I like the tuna here.

Comment

Damn, I haven't been here in a while. Some real "danger to manifold" stuff. Nice work making the audi manifold work. I've actually seen people use 1.8T manifolds before in the M42 fb group.
                      -Dee
                      5-lugged turbo 318is Barn car
                      IG: @deebelmont

Comment

Looks great, need more video of it
                        318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                        '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Still shocked how well the 20v intake looks on there.
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:
                          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

More to come on this here soon. Moving away from MS1 going to Haltec... My old MS board has shit the bed finally.

I like the tuna here.

Comment

probably a good move. I'm surprised it went that long though. My MS2V3 still going strong somehow I've been thinking about going to a link ecu...
                              -Dee
                              5-lugged turbo 318is Barn car
                              IG: @deebelmont

Comment

Originally posted by ccsdo5 View Post
                                probably a good move. I'm surprised it went that long though. My MS2V3 still going strong somehow I've been thinking about going to a link ecu...
                                I am running Link G4x on my E34. It is an amazing product. Would recommend 10/10. I am still on the fence between Holley Terminator X, Haltech or max ECU for this car. I don't want to build a harness but it looks as if I will have to no matter...

I like the tuna here.

Comment

Working...
                                X