X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPLFoster
    replied
    Originally posted by cdeason7 View Post
    I worked for Karl Storz Endoskope. Knowing that she is teacher plus the social benefits and Freiburg is the most youthful city in Germany, I would stay but if you ever need surgery take the train to Strasbourg France there is a great teaching hospital that has a stellar worldwide reputation.
    Achso. I will keep that in mind if ever I need surgery. Strasbourg is an awesome place. Been there a handful of times now and I enjoy it every time.

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
    Very interesting story and stoked to follow along! Also - interested in learning more about your shipping experience. I'm (loosely) planning a trip around Europe and want to do it in my E30, once it's finished and when I'm between jobs.

Random side-note about Farsi & Germany: While in Munich last fall, I was trying to get an UBER from the Flughafen to where I was staying at in town. When my driver finally came, he didn't speak a lick of English,and I had no idea where I was going. Luckily, he was Persian and we were able to communicate in Farsi. Then for the next few days, at the little backerei that we went to every morning for breakfast, my buddy and I were ordered in Farsi with the Afghani dude who ran it. So many Farsi speakers that I forgot I wasn't in LA lol.
    Thanks man! I hope it will continue to be interesting. Right now I have put the shipment on hold until June 15th when I return from Spain. My girl just finished her exams and needed a vacation. So we're going to Bilbao, San Sebastián and then Barcelona.

I've found that Farsi is very common in Europe. A lot of people from the Middle East/Orient have immigrated here. I love the mix of culture here in Germany. Always something new to learn.

Leave a comment:

• freeride53
    replied
    Very interesting story and stoked to follow along! Also - interested in learning more about your shipping experience. I'm (loosely) planning a trip around Europe and want to do it in my E30, once it's finished and when I'm between jobs.

Random side-note about Farsi & Germany: While in Munich last fall, I was trying to get an UBER from the Flughafen to where I was staying at in town. When my driver finally came, he didn't speak a lick of English,and I had no idea where I was going. Luckily, he was Persian and we were able to communicate in Farsi. Then for the next few days, at the little backerei that we went to every morning for breakfast, my buddy and I were ordered in Farsi with the Afghani dude who ran it. So many Farsi speakers that I forgot I wasn't in LA lol.

Leave a comment:

• cdeason7
    replied
    I worked for Karl Storz Endoskope. Knowing that she is teacher plus the social benefits and Freiburg is the most youthful city in Germany, I would stay but if you ever need surgery take the train to Strasbourg France there is a great teaching hospital that has a stellar worldwide reputation.

Leave a comment:

• MPLFoster
    replied
    Stryker by chance? I know a Polish guy working on a special equipment team there in Tuttlingen.

We are considering coming to the states in the future but with the current political climate and her ethnic/travel background we've been a bit trepadatious. She is a Ferderally recognized State Teacher here which provides her great opportunities, if not greater than in the US. There are numerous opportunities in many countries for someone with her chosen profession. We also do very much enjoy the atmosphere and benefits in Germany/Europe. We're not totally sure where we'll end up. But thank you for the advice. :up:

Leave a comment:

• cdeason7
    replied
    Yes, I worked for a German surgical equipment manufacturer (45 minutes from you in Tuttlingen) for 16 years (US based), spent a lot of time in Bavaria,

Spend a few years in Germany and then come back to the States, mainly because she will have more opportunity here, unless you both prefer the more relaxed life style and social benefits that Germany offers,

Leave a comment:

• MPLFoster
    replied
    She speaks 5 in fact. Farsi (Dari), German, English, Spanish and French.

You seem to know quite a bit about Germany. Have you spent much time here?

Leave a comment:

• cdeason7
    replied
    She probably speaks 3 or more languages, I met a Afghani at the Brenner Pass fuel stop in Italy, the guy spoke 6 languages, sharp dude, Germany is a land of diversity, huge manufacturing economy with low birth rate, they have been bringing workers in since the 60's, mainly Turks,

Leave a comment:

• MPLFoster
    replied
    Originally posted by getouth View Post
    smartest guy on this entire forum......
    Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
    Truth.

She doesn't look totally German. Is she a mutt?
    Aw c'mon guys...I'm just a dude who followed his dick (heart) and ended up in the land of speed. Lucky is more like it. ;)

And she's actually not German at all. She's 100% Afghan, born in Kabul. Father was in the government in the early 90's. Then the radicals took over and when the establishment went belly up they had to flee the country. He had a price on his head so he went one way and his family another. She bounced around Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran and Russia with her grandmother for a few years before settling in Germany with their open door refugee policies. All before she's was 6.

Leave a comment:

• 2mAn
    replied
    Originally posted by getouth View Post

Truth.

She doesn't look totally German. Is she a mutt?

Leave a comment:

• getouth
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MPLFoster
    replied
    Originally posted by cdeason7 View Post
    Congratulations on finding your soul mate and living in a beautiful part of the world, Freiburg is a great part of Germany, the warmest/sunniest and a university town, also great beer, Heist Brewery is about 45 minutes away and has a great pils and wheat beer, learn to speak the language, its a bitch to learn well, also check with the TUV about any modifications that you made to the car, all modifications must meet TUV standards, Hockenheim is not far either, enjoy
    Thanks man. This is a great part of Germany. Lucky she happens to live here.

I have not been to Heist Brewery but i'll keep that in mind. So far most of the beer here is quite good. And yes, learning German has been difficult. It doesn't help that the common language at my job is English or that most of the university kids, and everyone else really, speak english well enough to understand and converse with me. My favorite phrase is ''Es tut mir leid, mein Deutsch ist nicht so gut''...which usually transitions the conversation into English. However I will be starting a B1 level language course within the month. Been getting by with basic German skills but it's wearing thin...time to get serious.

As for legalizing the E30 I am fortunate enough to know somone who can ''pass'' my car through TUV when it gets here.

Once it's here Nordschleife and Hockenheim are on my to-do list. Thanks for the kind words! :up:

Leave a comment:

• cdeason7
    replied
    Congratulations on finding your soul mate and living in a beautiful part of the world, Freiburg is a great part of Germany, the warmest/sunniest and a university town, also great beer, Heist Brewery is about 45 minutes away and has a great pils and wheat beer, learn to speak the language, its a bitch to learn well, also check with the TUV about any modifications that you made to the car, all modifications must meet TUV standards, Hockenheim is not far either, enjoy

Leave a comment:

• MPLFoster
    replied
    Originally posted by shameson View Post
    I definitely see why you followed her ;D

Where in Germany are you? Planning on making a trip to Munich within the next year. I went to France last year and travelled a little but never had the chance to take the train next door.

EDIT: just saw you're in Freiburg
    Definitely check out the BMW museum in Munich while you're there and also the new vehicle expo across the street. So cool. Im about 4hrs from Munich. Let me know when your coming over and maybe we can meet up. I'd be happy to show you around Freiburg or just take another BMW tour :up:

Originally posted by nachbarx View Post
    Awesome man! Now we can meet in our e30s, to hand over Klaus :)
    I hope my car arrives by then! That would be fantastic!

Leave a comment:

• nachbarx
    replied
    Awesome man! Now we can meet in our e30s, to hand over Klaus :)

Leave a comment:

• shameson
    replied
    I definitely see why you followed her ;D

Where in Germany are you? Planning on making a trip to Munich within the next year. I went to France last year and travelled a little but never had the chance to take the train next door.

EDIT: just saw you're in Freiburg

Leave a comment:

Working...
X