No announcement yet.

FredK's 1990 325i-2 Race Car Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, over 7 years later and this project finally got off the ground.

I didn't turn it into a DD, in fact, I never registered the car.

It's going to be an endurance race car now, and a friend and I are now co-owners. I wish I thought of that before I replaced all of the rubber with stock rubber.

Hopefully we get this sucker up and running for an event or two in 2021.

Click image for larger version

Name:	caeg.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	9970108

Originally posted by whysimon
    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

7 years later and we get one pic of a caged interior... will we be able to get one more pic sometime this year?
      Simon
      Current Cars:
      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
        7 years later and we get one pic of a caged interior... will we be able to get one more pic sometime this year?
        What's the rush, can't wait seven more years?

Comment

2021 is still young, so I feel like I might have a pic maybe in October or so. :p

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post

2021 is still young, so I feel like I might have a pic maybe in October or so. :p
            Sweet, thanks for stopping by. See you in 9 months
            Simon
            Current Cars:

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
              In before stealth s85 swap with poorly updated build thread.
              A true prophet (or at least a prophet of half truths)
              Originally posted by priapism
              My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
              Originally posted by shameson
              Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                let me know when you need the DME flashed for your new swap!

by the time you get to it, I'll probably know how to do it. ;)
                Damn, I was close. I've forgotten almost as much in the last 8 years as I've learned.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Would ya look at that. The prodigal son has returned, if only for a moment.
                  Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

I'll take any update on a R3v build these days... even if it took 7 years
                    '89 325i OBD2 S52 BUILD THREAD
                    Shadetree30

Comment

I had to address a fair bit of rust prior to calling the car good. The front fender bottoms were rotted, the front chassis corners were rotted through, and the accelerator mounting stub area was also perforated by rust, so it took a decent amount of cut and patch. It was a crash course in metal working with minimal Harbor Freight tools.​

Click image for larger version  Name:	photo_2023-01-18_21-54-30 (2).jpg Views:	3 Size:	159.7 KB ID:	10082137

OK, all painted with Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy. It hides a lot of the ugly.

Click image for larger version  Name:	photo_2023-01-18_21-54-30.jpg Views:	0 Size:	216.2 KB ID:	10082136

Car is on an inherited GC coilover conversion kit, PFC 11 pads, Ate front calipers.

Click image for larger version  Name:	photo_2023-01-18_21-54-30 (3).jpg Views:	0 Size:	170.1 KB ID:	10082142
                      Dropped the rear subframe to replace the subframe, trailing arm, and diff bushings with AKG 75D pieces (not shown). The differential was rebuilt with new seals, new bearings, new crush sleeve, and new clutches and steels.

Click image for larger version  Name:	photo_2023-01-18_21-54-30 (5).jpg Views:	0 Size:	205.0 KB ID:	10082139

I took it to New Hampshire Motor Speedway in October 2022 for its maiden track day. It felt solid. I had some issues with a bad fuel vent hose where it'd splash fuel when I had more than half a tank of fuel. A post-mortem revealed that I improperly reinstalled the large braided vent hose when I switched to a Spectra Premium replacement fuel tank. I think the replacement vent fitting is slightly larger in diameter than the stock BMW tank. I replaced the braided vent hose and it's good to go now.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	photo_2023-01-18_21-54-29.jpg Views:	0 Size:	206.9 KB ID:	10082140

Well, we're up to speed again. Most of the rust has been taken care of, but there's still battery box rust and some rust on the rockers that I might tackle soon just to get things nicer looking. The battery no longer resides in the rear of the car. We're running a ETX16L in the front battery tray.

Comment

Sweet, thanks for stopping by. See you in 9 months
                        How about 2 years?

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post

How about 2 years?
                          See you in 2025!
                          Simon
                          Current Cars:

Comment

Not-quite-6-month-bump.

Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Working...
                            X