• Time
  • Show
Clear All

10/10 fabrication skills. Props for a respectful save

Turbo M42 Build Thread :Here
    Ig:ryno_pzk
    I like the tuna here.
    Originally posted by lambo
    Buttchug. The official poster child of r3v.

Comment

Originally posted by alistairolsen View Post
      That's an impressive and tidy repair! What was the total cost in the end?
      2300. Would've been cheaper but I had them repair the quarter panel too, which was a very nasty bend.

But yeah, can't tell it's been done. I'm on top of the world right now
      sigpic

(clicky on piccy to get to thread)

Comment

Originally posted by econti View Post
        2300. Would've been cheaper but I had them repair the quarter panel too, which was a very nasty bend.

But yeah, can't tell it's been done. I'm on top of the world right now
        Sounds like a great price for the repair!

Been following you on youtube and just stumbled across this thread, sub'd

Comment

The repair came out excellent, and that’s a good price for the amount of work performed. Thank you for repairing the car instead of just writing it off as many others might have done. Look forward to seeing the progress!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Eric Giles
          '20 M2 CS
          '04 M3
          '11 X5 35D
          '87 325is
          '91 325i Sport

There are few things more expensive than a cheap BMW...

Comment

Had a few hours today so got the dash out.
            Thought it was going to be a total shitfight but it was much better than expected.
            I'm not going to remove the body loom due to adding so many hours of work, I'm not repainting the inside explicitly so I'll wrap it in plastic and tape it up on the firewall when it gets painted.

Speaking of hours I'm going to start keeping a tally of how many I spend, just for interest's sake.
            I'll estimate 20 hours of work and 5 of internet research. Will keep updating as we go.

Dash out:

Items bagged and tagged with fasteners to go under the house:

Also figured out why my driver's door pops when opening. Thought it was originally the spotwelds but after having sat for this long the rust is now visible on the outside. The stopper assembly just flexes as the edge of the door is no longer solid metal. You can see the screw sitting on an angle

So I need a new door.

Progress continues!
            sigpic

Comment

I had that problem with mine, and I think you'll find it's actually the stopper mechanism. Mine eventually broke internally, and since then the door is fine, no flexing etc. it just doesn't prop open like it should.

You may well get away with just replacing the mechanism rather than the whole door (the rust there might not be too bad).

Nice work on fixing the roof!
              My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Wow I thought it was dead

IG @turbovarg
                '91 318is, M20 turbo
                [CoTM: 4-18]
                '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
                  I had that problem with mine, and I think you'll find it's actually the stopper mechanism. Mine eventually broke internally, and since then the door is fine, no flexing etc. it just doesn't prop open like it should.

You may well get away with just replacing the mechanism rather than the whole door (the rust there might not be too bad).

Nice work on fixing the roof!
                  I pulled the door card off as they're being changed and the inside was just paint bubbles the whole way. Scraped some and it's all rust.

Unsure how it got so rusty, it's not a collection point for water and is all painted.
                  But it is, so I must fix
                  sigpic

Comment

Fair enough - seeing as you've come this far, might as well replace it and finish it off properly!
                    My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

You sir have inspired me to save mine...and then sell it to fund a Porsche : )
                      My new E34 525i Sport Limousine Blog
                      http://bmw525isportlimousine.blogspot.com.es/

Comment

Further deconstruction. HVAC out and carpet removed.

Can't find any major rust in the floor, a few spots of just surface but it's looking really good. Benefits of a S2 that isn't in snow country I guess.

I'm not going to be removing the body loom due to not being confident enough to put it back in properly, so I'll wrap it all in cling wrap or some shit so it doesn't get any overspray on it. The painters won't be explicitly painting the inside of it, but no doubt there will be paint going on it. So that should save it from overspray.

Carpet has definitely seen better days. I'd like to get a brand new one but apparently they are out of stock entirely (haven't checked myself). Hopefully they'll make a new run of them.

I need to find some dry ice so I can remove the sound deadening, as I'll be laying Dynamat or similar in most spots and want to make 100% sure there's no rust in the floors.

I've also been told that the Garagtastic RHD Wilwood pedal box bracket is a good bit of kit, so I'll be getting one of them as soon as I've talked to an engineer about certifying it.

Here in Aus we can't just modify whatever we want; major safety components like pedal boxes etc need to be certified by an engineer that it's legal to drive on the street. Depending on what they say I may need to pay for mine to undergo brake testing on a track to the tune of several thousand dollars for them to sign it off.

I'm already going to have to get a cert for the turbo conversion, which involves emissions testing and such.

Pretty aids to deal with, but that's just life. If I don't do it and am caught it's huge fines and defects and I get listed on the police database of vehicles of interest which means I would be pulled over constantly.

https://store.garagistic.com/RHD-e30...erless-bracket

21:30 hours of work, 5:50 of research total.
                        sigpic

Comment

Car

Great looking car.

Comment

Originally posted by spanish pants View Post
                            You sir have inspired me to save mine...and then sell it to fund a Porsche : )
                            That's halfway to the attitude that I want to foster!
                            sigpic

Comment

Pedal box out entirely, wrapped the wiring loom in cling wrap with masking tape on the ends.

Engine will be out in the next few days. 23:30 hours total work
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by econti View Post
                                That's halfway to the attitude that I want to foster!
                                I remember when older Porsche's weren't that coveted. The trashed ones were parted out with out much thought.
                                As soon as they became hot ticket items, it made more financial sense to repair body damage that years earlier would have consigned them to the scrappers torch.

While my car isn't really toast, it has some damage that needs a fair amount of work. It's still very driveable in the mean time.
                                My new E34 525i Sport Limousine Blog
                                http://bmw525isportlimousine.blogspot.com.es/

Comment

Working...
                                X