Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New member, my first E30, from the Bay Area. NEW QUESTIONS EVERY DAY!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey, I'm Kevin, I bought an 85 318i coupe 5 speed and I'm slowly getting everything fixed. My friend and I went halves on it planning to fix and sell it, but then my daily driver broke down (03 matrix) so now this is my new DD.

This is what it looked like when the tow truck dropped it off, and before I lovingly washed it then let it sit for a month and get dusty again.

We paid $400 for it non running, but it looked very promising. It had a cracked radiator right at the intake barb. We glued that and test drove it and the thermostat didn't open so it got hot (about 3/4 on the gauge) and blew the barb off completely. Glue held fine though! Brittle plastic and all that... Bought a new radiator and thermostat and it was back up and running, except it was idling at 1300 rpm. I drove it for a week while waiting for parts etc and it ran just fine, just high idle.

I couldn't smog it at the high idle so I replaced all the small vacuum lines and taped up the intake boot, but that didn't fix it. They wouldn't smog it with it taped up either.

Then we checked the timing, it was 16° at the higher idle so we loosened the distributor and twisted it until idle dropped to around 800 rpm and 10° timing. We're timing it through the top hole and the flywheel has 10 with a line under it stamped in, so the timing gun set at 0 offset and timed it to that mark at idle and it idles well enough, installed a new intake boot and it passed smog just fine.

Now I'm starting to fix other stuff, here's a list.

Bought a set of sport seats, from a member in San Jose, to replace the nasty comfort seats. The hinges and sliders needed to be repaired, greased, and I chose the best four gas shocks to install. I swapped parts off my comfort seats which worked decent but they're ugly. The car's previous owner was maybe a little bit of a tweaker, found some meth baggies, and the repairs are classically bad. I was wondering about seat fitment too, look at the rear seat, the middle seat belt is reversed on the sports vs the comfort. I had to swap the middle one so the seat belt latch would clip in to the seat. How was it originally?

Just bought new M3 front control arm bushings because the ones in it are clapped out, will install next Friday.

More pics and work log to come, gonna update more when I get home.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Navarone; 06-27-2014, 01:08 AM.

nice intake boot.

Comment

Haha thanks, posting from ipad and it messed up the image uploading.

Comment

So here are more pics and some questions.

What shocks and springs are these? The front look lowered and rebuildable, the back look probably stock. The springs are covered in dirt but are green under that. Haven't foamed them up and washed them to look for brands or specs yet.

Ride is stiff and pretty flat cornering, harsh bumps. Wheel shakes at 45-60mph but I'll be starting with those M3 bushings and an alignment when I get new tires.

Front height.

Rear height. ~ 1/3 tank of gas.

The wheels are some Borbet type C replicas, they need new tires and refinishing pretty damn bad. The tires on it are 205 55 16 and they almost rub the struts. They probably rub while cornering hard. Would it be worth it getting a narrower tire or just a stiffer sidewall? What about getting spacers? I don't care about being hella flush, but a lightly lowered and flushed look would be nice. My matrix has the same size almost new tires but without the pooched out sidewall and I figured I'd put them on, but trying to sell that car so not sure what to do.

Stay tuned. I also want to meet more people in the Bay Area to swap parts and work etc.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Navarone; 06-22-2014, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Even more pics and shtuff.

Old comfort seats. Full of tears and meth.

New sport seats. Ripped and needed the hinges fixed/swaped, but way more comfortable and supportive than the bowl of jello they call comfort seats.

The exhaust needs new hangers, but the bailing wire the previous owner used seems to work fine for now.

Upper oil pan leaking pretty well. Parts of gasket just missing.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Navarone; 07-04-2014, 01:48 PM.

Comment

The list seems endless, but the car is really easy to work on and the parts are surprisingly cheap! Too bad every time I work on something I break another plastic doo dad. List of broken plastic things; vacuum line reducer tee, 2 count em 2!! dome light(s) and a backing plate, plastic tab inside cluster, misc tie down clips in engine bay, more to come!

We all like pics right?

Need new gas shocks, 1 out of 8 were good enough to reuse. And I broke half of those stupid push nuts swapping them around to the new seats.

Wiped off the 25 years of oil and road grime on the oil pan looking for the leak. Might need a new steering rack, previous owner said it was gushing fluid and he used stopleak on it... I think he just over filled the oil and it all squirted out the gasket. Steering rack doesn't seem to leak, but I might need new tie rods, these have some play. (well, something has play in the steering somewhere, haven't chased it down yet.)

Need new alternator mount bushings. That's a thing? Weird, BMW, weird. Dont have a pics of clapped out bushings so here's another of the car and it's stellar paint and dent free body.

That was a bad joke, or trick photography, or both. This thing has a dent or mar on every panel, and the clear coat on every horizontal plane is completely burned away by 30 years of California sun.

Attached Files
            Last edited by Navarone; 06-27-2014, 01:14 AM.

Comment

More small stuff I've fixed so far.
              The gauges for fuel and temp, touched up the bad solder connections. Left taillight lens was cracked, po had a spare. Driver side interior door handle and trim. Set clock.

Here's a list of upcoming repairs and mods not listed from above, and not in any real order, just as I can remember them.

Done! Install stereo. TOP PRIORITY!! Right now it's a Lepai 2020A+ and an ipad mini retina w/ LTE. Quite the odd couple.

Done! Install sub. Have a JL 10" in the matrix so I'll be taking that and the head unit and cramming it in this.

Shampoo carpet. It's not too bad to look at, but who knows what's living deep down.

Drill and collapse diving board bumper shocks.

Install new shift knob, boot and bushings. 2/3 Done!

Done!Replace hazard flasher button that has a cracked lens.

Replace all fluids, (oil, power steering, coolant, blinker, diff, AC, transmission, washer, beer) belts, timing chain / tensioner, clutch. Coolant and oil change done! New gasket for washer bottle

Done! Serviced resistors.Fix or replace climate control fan knob, only works on setting 4.

Adjust headlights.

Done! Check and maybe replace water pump.

Made a real battery tie down out of steel or buy a battery tie down and fix rusted battery tray. squirted it with some rustolium....

New weather seals, so far only the sunroof leaks while under the car wash fan dry.

Replace the rest of the old molded vacuum hoses, idle RPM surges +/- 100, but that might be oil pan gasket related.

Trailing arms might need new bushings, as with new swaybar bushings and tie rod ends etc all around.

Checked front brakes, they're fine. Examine brakes, bleed and replace as needed. Might swap in rear disks if I can find a good priced set.

Tightened nut on valve cover. Adjust valves and fix oil leak from top center valve cover bolt.

Duct tape holes in sport seats.

Done! New dome lights and brackets, broke the old one checking the bulb.

Ugh, replacements are sealed beam, mine are H4 Replace cracked low beam light and install missing aluminum thumb screw from behind plastic piece under gauge cluster. Previous owner has both, but has to find them in his pile of treasures.

Done! Install exhaust donut and double d hangers.

Half ass prep and spray a new clear coat over the old rotten one.

Rebuild front shocks and figure out what the back ones are.

Trim black every faded plastic piece. Did the mirrors and grill!

about %75, still need to shampoo. Totally detail the interior, it's been sitting for a year and it's pretty gross.

No idea what it is. Find the one missing piece of the original tool kit. I think it's just the lug nut lock that's in the glove box.

*I move away from the keyboard to breathe in*

Anyone else have any suggestions for what to check/fix/replace/upgrade?

inb4 swap out m10
              Last edited by Navarone; 03-15-2015, 03:20 PM.

Comment

If the springs are green, they are probably racing dynamics. Struts look like bilstein sport, but can't be sure just from photo. Good start, have fun with it!
                IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

Hey thanks, your sig looks really clean and a lot like what I'm going for. What are your suspension and wheels/tires?

Comment

M10s are great little motors and if yours passed smog just enjoy it. The 84/85 318 model is the lightest of all the E30s and with that suspension should be a fun little momentum car. Just keep dialing in the maintenance and driving it.
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:
                    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Yeah, I'll be enjoying it, seems like a solid little engine. Manual and rear wheel drive? What's not to love. It's a nice step up from the matrix, which was slow and top heavy and spongy and also a manual, this is slower, but is nicer to drive.

Comment

are you in a smog county?
                        Simon
                        Current Cars:
                        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Yeah, I'm in hella norcal. What counties are non smog counties?

SF bay area, east bay.

I had another question about something, but I forgot...
                          Last edited by Navarone; 06-24-2014, 12:51 AM.

Comment

you don't want narrower tires, you want shorter.

205/50-16 is correct rolling diameter, and will probably get rid of your rubbing.

where in east bay?

<--
                            past:
                            1989 325is (learner shitbox)
                            1986 325e (turbo dorito)
                            1991 318ic (5-lug ITB)
                            1985 323i baur
                            current:
                            1995 M3 (suspension, 17x9/255-40, borla)

Comment

Yeah, I used one of those online calculators and it seems that the diameter of these tires are about an inch larger than stock.

The problem in the pic is the sidewall is just 3/16" away from the strut, the little fingers from the molding process actually touch the strut tube. The tires from matrix would probably get put on here since I can't afford new ones. They're some bravuris 2 brand and only 6 months old.

I live in Martinez.
                              Last edited by Navarone; 06-24-2014, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X