First Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Car

Last Fall I bought an E30 vert at 16 as my first car. I got it for really cheap (about a summer's worth of minimum wage) and have been fixing it up since. The transmission was missing 1st and 2nd gear, the suspension was blown, and who knows when the timing belt had last been done.

When I first got it home:

Some metal screwed into the front as a valence that I quickly removed:

The timing belt was the first thing I replaced, got the standard belt, tensioner, thermostat, and waterpump kit. Also new valve cover gasket, distributor, and rotor.

The struts were all bad and so were the mouints, so I bought some Bilstien sports with H&R Cabrio springs. Of course a spring comparison shot (and not even a good one):

The only picture I could find of it after it was on the new suspension:

I didn't like the wheels and none of the tires matched so I picked up some stock 14" basketweaves to hold me over. They need to be repainted but way safer than the cheap 16"s with crappy spacers.

I also replaced some missing trim pieces, badges, etc. At this point, I thought the transmission might be just a bad shifter linkage. I could still get into first and second gear about one every 7 attempts. So I bought the whole rebuild kit and a z3 1.9 shifter. My neighbor who is big into BMWs let me borrow his lift which was great, made the job easier.

Attempting to get the bitch clip out

My dad's V50 T5 next to my neighbor's Porsche 944 racecar

After the shifter job was done it was still hard to find 1st and second gear, so I found a tranny on craigslist and a shop to put it in. I should have done it myself but I didn't want to clog up my neighbor's garage and I had nowhere else to do it. I got a good price and the drive shaft bearing ended up being replaced too.
    Waiting its turn at the shop

I got the car back Thursday afternoon and drove it with all 5 gears working well for the first time. The next day I finally took it to school, and since then I've been mostly just driving it.

Me parked next to a sweet M3 before SOWO

Painting the windshield lockstrip

My dad and I got a 64 Honda Dream to fix up

New alternator belt and cut the old power steering belt because the PO already half ass removed the power steering.

Yesterday with my friend's 76 CJ5

I'll continue fixing it up and hopefully before next year I can get Euro bumpers and a valence for it. Also needs some new wheels and eventually I want to reupholster the interior so it's red again. I need to work more..

Nice work. Pretty impressive.

Comment

Nice ride. Glad you saved it from those 16's!

Comment

That race car looks familiar, brother/sister co-drivers right?

Your car looks great so far, lowered on weaves looks so much better than the 16's. Cardinal interior would be a nice touch though
        - '88 m54 coupe

<3

Comment

That spot you replaced the timing belt looks super chill. Nice vert!
          BMW tech
          Umass Amherst
          05 wrx sti

Comment

Originally posted by Jb325is View Post
            That race car looks familiar, brother/sister co-drivers right?

Your car looks great so far, lowered on weaves looks so much better than the 16's. Cardinal interior would be a nice touch though
            Yeah, it's number 79. The father is my neighbor. The wheels I bought it with were so bad, I sold them to a guy with a Civic haha.

Comment

Originally posted by WestCoastEta View Post
              Nice ride. Glad you saved it from those 16's!
              Originally posted by CaliDazze View Post
              Nice work. Pretty impressive.
              Originally posted by e30onBBSs View Post
              That spot you replaced the timing belt looks super chill. Nice vert!
              Thanks guys.

Friendly neighborhood dog helped me work on the radio install (not my dog)

Hoping to get a drivers side threshold soon. My old one finally deteriorated to the point I just took it out and threw it away.

Comment

Sell me your door panels!!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                '87 325ic
                '91 318is (first car) sold
                '99 m3 (sold)
                '84 porsche 944 (sold)
                '01 subaru legacy wagon

Comment

So I was working my way through a plastic bumper swap with most of the pieces

Pictured here with my friend's e36

And then the engine caught on fire.

Luckily it was put out quickly and didn't damage much, and now I'm planning on building an M20 stroker for it as well as painting the engine bay, bumpers, hood, new valance, mirrors, etc.

Comment

Oh, shit! That's awful dude, so sorry to see that carnage. Definitely could have been worse but that's gotta sting. Looking forward to seeing the rebuild... we have the technology...

Comment

What happened, do you know the cause of the fire?
                      Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Originally posted by staszek View Post
                        what happened, do you know the cause of the fire?
                        I had just replaced the fuel pressure regulator and of course that leaked some fuel out during removal, but it was on a breezy day and I had the car idling for awhile after letting it sit so I doubt that was it. The car had been having fuel starvation problems on startup which is why I replaced the FPR in the first place. I actually ran out of gas before I saw any flames.
                        I think the fire may have started under the intake manifold on the driver side somewhere. Many of the coolant hoses and all the belts were fine, so it was closer to the firewall.

But I have an auto e36 to drive while I save up for engine parts so it's not that bad.

Comment

That sux dude! My first car had a fire too but it was much worse than yours. Thankfully it was just an old volvo. The worst part of a car fire is the burnt plastic smell.

I'm always paranoid anytime I mess with the fuel lines. I try to have lots of paper towels and a water bottle or tupperware to catch the fuel.

Your interior is the opposite of mine! I have red seats with black door cards and seat backs.

Good luck cleaning up that engine bay. I would be tempted to find another bmw, swap the good parts, and collect the insurance money on your white one.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Working...
                          X